1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Any Bing users here?

Discussion in 'Bing' started by calebmelvern, Oct 29, 2014.

1. calebmelvern New Member

I'm wondering how many here use Bing as their primary search engine. I've been using Bing for quite a while now, mainly because I don't feel like being connected to Google all the time. Bing has improved so much over the past couple of years. There are a few instances wherein it returns results that do not satisfy my intent, but most of the time, I'm pretty happy with my overall experience.

Are you a hardcore Google user? Or are you like me who switches things around a bit?

2. athena02 New Member

I have to say that I am not a big Bing user. My main browser is Google Chrome, and Google being the default search engine, I guess I just go along with it. I see no reason to change this either.

I do however use Bing when I use Firefox, although that only happens on rare occasions.

3. Converse Active Member

I prefer Startpage (Ixquick) because it gives Google results without the personalization that Google does now, where the search engine tries to figure out what I'm really looking for based on past searches, rather than simply accepting that I know what I'm looking for. But, while I think I get better searches through Startpage, I nearly always use Bing. Why? Because I have become addicted to the Amazon.com gift cards that I can earn by using Bing. My job involves web searches so I do a lot of them, and the points have added up to more than a hundred dollars worth of gift cards so far, probably close to two hundred. Seriously, Bing gives good results and free books are always nice, so you might want to consider joining Bing.

4. NathanG New Member

@Converse Wow! That's a lot of money just for searching the internet! Personally I have used Google pretty much my entire life, and I am sticking with it. In my opinion it has just been the best over the years, and has consistently stayed that way. Although, the Amazon.com gift cards to look like a very nice incentive to join Bing. ;)

5. greatnate New Member

I like Bing's image search but for regular web searches I use google out of habit. To be honest I don't see a huge difference between the two.

6. toradrake Member

I switch between bing and google frequently. I get good results from both. As
    calebmelvern said bing has been improving quite a bit and I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes a major contender in a few years with google.

7. fastreplies Original Member

Well, given that Google is owned by SEOs the only reasonable solutions
    normally used by self-respecting people would be "SEO SPAM" Free Bing.

Yes, Bing is our next best Search Engine because as soon as Google drops
    Page Rank garbage metrics, no one will look in it direction.

8. calebmelvern New Member

Yes, image search on Bing looks really beautiful. At least in my eyes. But in terms of web search, Google is still ahead. I still get irrelevant results in Bing from time to time. But I'll still be using it as I want to contribute to their userbase in order for them to better search experience and maybe have a chance to compete against Google.

9. Gin0710 New Member

I am not happy with Bing. I signed up to use their search engine as my homepage because they promised me points that I can turn in for prizes. I was going pretty well with it. Then all of a sudden my computer crashes. That happens. However, when I log into my Bing account on a different computer, my points start from the beginning. I lost all my points. I was pretty mad. After that I stopped using them as a search engine and from now on I stick with Google. I love Google!

10. Converse Active Member

My Bing points accumulate whether I'm using my iMac, MacBook, Smart phone, or the computer at the library. Okay, I've never used the computer at the library but my point is that, if I did, it would work. As long as I am logged into my Bing account, the points accumulate. It's not stored on your computer.

11. mdaudali New Member

I really dislike Bing, but I'm not a huge Google fan either. The reason I dislike Bing is because:-
    1. They never show up the results I am looking for. It always provides me with something completely irrelevant.
    2. It has a tendency to get stuck in a loop, causing the web browser to crash (I think that's a personal thing though)
    3. I am in the UK, so Bing rewards doesn't work for me :(
    I don't really like Google because of the monopoly they have on the market. I don't really care about the privacy invasion too much, I have nothing to hide nor do I have any incredibly secret information.
    I do switch around with search engines though. I have a random tendency to change everything once in a while, no specific reason why.

12. Sly14Cat New Member

I've used Google primarily, but I've never really tried out Bing. Probably just because I've never had the time to stray too far from Google, but I will try it out to see what it's like and compare it to Google. Microsoft seems a little desperate to get Bing out there, maybe it's for a good reason? For as much as everyone hates it can't be that bad right?

13. Rainman New Member

There are some searches which are better conducted on Bing since it's the second best search engine. When searching for videos for example, when using Google search, they'll return more youtube videos and rank them better than relevant videos which could be better but which happen to be on other video sites like Vimeo, Dailymotion, etc.

Most people who've used Bing to search for videos admit that the results were much better than Google's. Better as in, you'd find videos which you'd otherwise not see in Google SERPs unless you refined your search query to include the address of the video site [whose videos you want included in the search results].

That said, I use Bing but only when I'm searching for videos.

14. Converse Active Member

I've just tried several other search engines and metasearch engines and I have to say that, even without the points that I would ordinarily get from Bing, I'll be using Bing. Google comes in second when it comes to usable search results.

15. Bee New Member

Yeah I agree that I use google out of habit as well. As soon as I open up my web browser my homepage is set to google. I use gmail alot so I am always logged in to my google activity. I have heard many good things about Bing rewards and how you can earn points by searching. I think that was a clever way for them to drive more traffic to their search engine site.I have nothing against Bing, I just haven't tried using their services just yet. I believe I will check them out in the near future though for an alternative.

16. starlight22 New Member

I use Bing all the time when I'm surfing the web but I also use Google as well. I have used basically all of them but I don't have one that I like better than the other.

17. celinejulietdcosta New Member

Hey. I use Bing. It was not great initially. But now it is improving and in a position to compete with google.

18. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

I'm honestly am hardcore Google user. It's the only search engine that I will use. When I have to look anything up, then I like being able to use Google. I like the results they get me, and how fast they are. I don't like the way that both Bing and Yahoo! are set up. I don't really switch up the search engine that I use either. I like sticking to the one that I know, and that I trust. I like how clean looking Google is. h