1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Best Domain Name Registrar?

Discussion in 'Domains' started by NathanG, Oct 28, 2014.

1. NathanG New Member

NathanG

Can anyone recommend a good domain name registrar to me? I'm looking to register two or three domain names, and I need somewhere that's fairly cheap. Also good support is nice but not required. :)

I should probably mention that I have used GoDaddy in the past, and did not have a very good experience with them. First off, their support was not good at all. It often took days for my tickets to be answered, but of course that wasn't too bad because most companies take at least a couple of days to respond. And also, it took leaps and bounds to have my domain name transferred to another company, which is completely unacceptable.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  2. calebmelvern New Member

calebmelvern

I suggest Namecheap. It's my favorite registrar. The only other I have used was GoDaddy. It's a good choice, too, as they have a lot of discounts. What I don't like is their upselling.

3. Converse Active Member

Converse

I have about seventy domains (I just trimmed it down from around a hundred), and I register them through Dreamhost. The cost and the ease of the transaction are both good. I use them to host some of my sites but I am slowly migrating them to Webhosting Hub, which I think is a better host but I hate their domain registration. Even if I am planning on hosting a new site on Webhosting Hub, I register the domain through Dreamhost and point the nameservers to Webhosting Hub. I'm sure there are better registrars, but I like having them all in one place.

4. Billy New Member

Billy

I've been using NameCheap ever since I started online, and I've not ever had a problem with them. They seem to be a little more expensive than GoDaddy though, but I don't like GoDaddy.

5. logitech74 New Member

logitech74

I must say, honestly, Namecheap and Namesilo. I had A LOT of problems with GoDaddy. Actually, nothing but problems with them, but that's just me. I like the fact that Namesilo offers free WHOIS privacy for life, so that's cool. GoDaddy is waaaaay to expensive for having more than just a few domains. Namesilo offers domains registration pretty cheap, for $9 and on NameCheap you can get some sweet coupons on this site:
    namecheapcoupons.com

6. LuckyGirl08 New Member

LuckyGirl08

I have used GoDaddy because of the price. I really have not used any other service yet. I might try out some if the ones listed above and see how I like them.

7. Billy New Member

Billy

That's one reason that I've considered GoDaddy, because they seem to have a lot of deals going on, and they also seem to be cheaper in general, compared to the current registrar I use (Namecheap), but I don't like having more than one registrar, the last time I did, I ended up not renewing a domain, because I was disorganized and I didn't get the email.

8. Shamzblueworld New Member

Shamzblueworld

Currently I am using namecheap, BigRock and creativeon, I'd recommend namecheap because they are the best I think. BigRock is also a good service though they don't have that many extensions. I have used GoDaddy in the past, they are also fine but a little more complex then namecheap I must say.

9. calebmelvern New Member

calebmelvern

Just recently, I tried another registrar. It's NameSilo. I read about it on a SEO blog. Their .com costs 8 bucks, which is really cheap. I didn't use a coupon, so I imagine I could have gotten a better deal.

10. jade870 New Member

jade870

I don't know of a lot of good one but to name a few domain name registrar, (Web.com) and (Justhost.com) , (HostMonster) . These are the ones that I know of just off the top of my head. I think that Web.com is a top ten domain sites for hosting it had a good review on it. I have used HostMonster a long time ago but I did not care much about it.

11. jblogger New Member

jblogger

I have worked with both Namecheap and Godaddy and can recommend you both. What's nice about Namecheap is that every domain includes private registration. With Godaddy you can buy that sepparately. But I like Godaddy more because it's easier to find coupon codes to buy or renew a domain at a lower price.

12. ducklord Member

ducklord

I'm using a "local" one, here in Greece, ip.gr. Is there any reason I should be looking elsewhere? Is there that much of a difference in price, or something else I should know? From what I've seen they all mostly do the exact same thing, give or take a dollar. Or euro.

13. oldwriter New Member

oldwriter

DL, Some extensions are substantially more than one dollar.

For instance, take the .cm domain (Cameroon), for which one can reasonably suspect the high prices are due to it being wonderful for catching .com typos; they even “typo squatted” their domain space en masse in the past. (1)

UnitedDomains lists it at $89
    uniteddomains.com/domain-registration/register-cm-domain-names/

Namecheap offers it for $98
    namecheap .com/domains/registration/cctld/cm.aspx

Eurodns has it at $ 147.38
    eurodns .com/international-domain-names/cm-domain-registration/

Iwantmyname charges $149.00
    iwantmyname .com/domains/cm-cameroonian-domain-name-registration-for-cameroon

From this short list alone, the difference or gap between the lowest and highest offering is 60 dollars.

...On the bright side, anyone registering a .cm name for typo-squatting probably deserves the extra charge if they don't know any better :)

1: circleid .com/posts/nation_of_cameroon_typosquats_com_space/

14. David Smith New Member

David Smith

Godaddy because of the price. The customer service there is excellent. I get my sites registered there pretty quick. Really reliable.

15. ducklord Member

ducklord

@oldwriter Ah, we don't have that many name registration services in Greece (that I know of), and I have to confess I never looked what similar services outside Greece offered. I just didn't think there'd be much of a difference. And I don't know why. Daaaam'n... What have I been paying all those years?! :-D

16. Converse Active Member

Converse

When a domain is registered to you, it's registered to you. Unless you are dealing with a registrar that is likely to steal your domain, there shouldn't be that much of a difference. Some differences that might come into play are the costs and how the registrar deals with you if you should fail to renew your domain on time. Some registrars will charge you considerably more to "buy back" your domain than if you had simply renewed it. I use Dreamhost, which will simply let me renew it if someone else hasn't taken it, and they send me several warning letters before that happens.

17. Niall95g New Member

Niall95g

I would highly suggest using Exhz Hosting. They are a small company based in the UK, the customer service is more personal as it is a small company!

18. dyanmarie25 New Member

dyanmarie25

I haven't actually experienced using GoDaddy before but I have read quite a few good reviews about it, so I guess it's pretty fine. HostGator is absolutely one of the best too. You would never go wrong with it. However, stay away from 1&1 Internet. This site has been considered as a scam, not very reliable.

19. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

I always use GoDaddy myself since they offer free domains along with a one year hosting package. I can get a domain name and a one year hosting pack for $12.00. Really great deal. It allows me to start websites for cheap. Many sites fail so it's good to cut starting costs as much as possible. If the site is successful after the first year then you can pay for better hosting which is more expensive.

20. tasha New Member

tasha

I need a new one and have been using webs.com for many years. They were first called freewebs and the traffic I got to my site was incredible as well as the help that they gave for the step by step build your own site. If you want to register the domain and set up a site with email etc, the fee is high if you are not living in dollar countries