1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Browsers

Discussion in 'Web Browsers' started by toradrake, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Scorp Member

Scorp

If my mother - who is completely computer illiterate - knows and uses Chrome instead of the Internet Explorer her Windows installation comes with, then that says it all :D

Internet Explorer is slow, buggy, and very annoying, in my opinion.

But the weird thing is that it's a Microsoft product, so they ceratinly have the money and the manpower to make a web browser that's up to standard. I mean, they don't have to reinvent the wheel, they can just take the best of Chrome, the best of Firefox, and combine them into 1 new Internet Explorer v20 and then people might start using it again, lol.

But yeah, I wouldn't be surprised that people still use IE, you know, the guys who'd tell you, "To open the internet go and click 2 times with the mouse on the icon with the blue button that looks like a small 'e'." Yes, that's the only user base IE has left, I'd say :D

2. Converse Active Member

Converse

Many years ago, when I was still primitive and using a PC, nearly everyone used Internet Explorer, mostly because people didn't know any better (which is why they were still using a PC). With better than 70% of your traffic coming from people using IE, everyone had to be sure to optimize their site for IE.

Scorp and SimplySidy like this.
  3. toradrake Member

toradrake

Ah come on, its not SO bad. Those people usually pay people like us to fix their "broken" stuff. LMAO

4. ducklord Member

ducklord

@Scorp @Converse I was shocked to find out how much better IE has got lately. It isn't on the same league as FF and Chrome, but it ISN'T as bad as it was in version 6-7. And, in some ways and occasions, it IS faster than the others! And no, I don't actually like it, nor am I a MS fanboy. Just telling things as they are. We're stuck remembering how awful it was in the days of yore, and keep hating it when it's not actually worth that much hate todays. Or that's my point of view about it, anyways.

@toradrake Heh, yeah, indeed... Feeeeed meeeee Seymouuuuur!

(Little Shop of Horrors, if you haven't got the reference :-D )

5. Converse Active Member

Converse

I wonder whether Microsoft will continue development of its Microsoft Internet Explorer long after Windows 10. I know that they intend to offer both in Windows 10, but Spartan is the same browser that was being referred to as IE12 until recently, when they decided to include it as Spartan. My understanding is that the IE in Windows 10 is the same as that used in Windows 9, so the company has not updated its IE. My guess is that a future release of Windows will include only Spartan.

6. oldwriter New Member

oldwriter

Hmm... some technologies are VERY hard to terminate without having a revolt. Browsers are targeted by developers, so a developer revolt could mean less developer market share for both IE and Spartan.

As I see it, the landscape will be divided in legacy web applications tied to IE and modern standards-compliant ones (legacy is something Microsoft can't ignore, due to the incoming enterprise $$$ being obtained from it). In such conditions, it would be unwise to dump IE because enterprises don't like to lose investments and certainly don't like to pay to re-engineer the exact same working functionality enjoyed by them already. They'd rather cling to such working old technology as much as possible since that's the most cost-effective way.

Given the past record of Microsoft dumping "new" technologies (e.g. Silverlight), web developers might as well get fed up and pick neither Spartan nor IE but a steady, more stable competitor such as Chrome.

7. toradrake Member

toradrake

The dumped Silverlight? Why, I wonder, was it included in my system then. I hate Silverlight.

8. Converse Active Member

Converse

At this point, Netflix still uses Silverlight because I was prompted to upgrade it only this morning, and I use a Mac. I see that Netflix has announced that it would be replacing Silverlight with HTML5 video.

9. toradrake Member

toradrake

Perfect. Then I don't feel so bad that I went into my control panel to see if Silverlight was there (it was) and uninstalled it. Did they say when they are switching? My friend has a Netflix account and they let me access it, but I hardly use it.... but if I do, I would like to make for sure I can.

10. ducklord Member

ducklord

Well, as far as IE goes, from what I gather, Spartan is more like a "new front-end" to the main IE engine, while they're also switching JavaScript engines. That means that although the "core" of their tech will remain the same - and keep updating, 'cause they'd be crazy to throw out the window something that DOES work to create a new solution from scratch, 2/3rds of "the whole solution" as the user experiences it will change to something new and, hopefully, better.

So, actually, IE isn't going anywhere "as the tech inside the browser", but IE "as the browser" will follow the way of the Dodo, in the long run.

11. Niall95g New Member

Niall95g

Yes, different browsers render web pages in different ways, it all depends on what defaults are set for each browser. I usually find the best browser is Google Chrome! Internet Explorer seems to be the worst for displaying webpages correctly.

12. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

Not many people use Internet Explorer any more. Chrome and Firefox is that everyone is using now it would seem.

As far as IE dying out completely I don't really think that will happen because it is the default Windows browser. If it wasn't then it probably would die. Microsoft will probably start doing some work on it before long. The only complaint I have with it is the limited number of features and the primitive feel.

Fun fact: IE is way faster than Chrome, Firefox, Opera, or Safari.

13. Converse Active Member

Converse

Although I use a Mac, I can see that on several of my sites, all that I've looked at, more people are accessing my sites through IE than any other browser. That actually sort of surprised me.

14. dyanmarie25 New Member

dyanmarie25

I think the best browser would have to go with Google Chrome. It's pretty clear that it has the upper hand. It's absolutely fast. But these days, I have been using Internet Explorer more often, and I would have to say it's not that bad at all. On the other hand, I don't know why but Mozilla Firefox doesn't work well on my laptop computer now. It's as slow as a turtle. So I kind of stay away from it now.

15. xTinx New Member

xTinx

I somehow feel bad for IE. The browser succeeded Netscape and did what wasn't done before. Hence, it stayed in the game for a long time even if in recent times its influence has greatly waned. I have four operational browsers installed in my laptop now and each is vying for the "default browser" title. I gave the privilege to Mozilla for the sole reason that it's the most updated of the bunch. There's something more programming friendly with Mozilla too and I do a bit of basic programming.

16. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

I have found that one of the key things that makes me switch between browsers is when my computer becomes infected with malware. Sometimes I'm too lazy to worry about removing it so I just use the browser that isn't infected with a popup and spam craze.

Google Chrome is the most popular browser so it is targeted by most viruses/malware. Browsers like Opera aren't usually targeted. Kind of like how Linux is virus free since virus creators don't target it do to its unpopularity.

17. Niall95g New Member

Niall95g

Firefox is a browser that I have never really used. Being a web developer I have to test it on the browser, however for day-to-day searching and browsing of the web I always use Chrome. Does Firefox have advantages over Chrome for usability on a daily basis.

18. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

I've heard that Firefox is a little bit faster.

I still like Chrome better though. I like the look and feel.

I guess I'm just used to it. Sort of the same reason why I prefer a PC over a Mac I guess.

19. jblogger New Member

jblogger

@Niall95g the reason I don't use Chrome on my Windows box and use Firefox instead is because Chrome uses the same proxy settings as Internet Explorer and there are times where I need to use different proxys on IE and on another browser. In fact that's the reason I stopped using Opera. They also use the same proxy of IE.

Firefox is the only that has the feature I need so it's my main browser.

20. Converse Active Member

Converse

Safari is my main browser. I have no complaints about Safari. I generally also have Firefox open while I'm working too and if, for some reason, I am going to stream a movie through my computer, rather than Roku, I'll usually use Chrome. For a change of pace, I often use Opera as my main browser. I like Opera quite a bit, and always have but, on dynamic sites, I often have to refresh my browser too often in order to keep up, which is the only reason I don't use Opera as my main browser -- that and the fact that Safari comes standard with a Mac and there's no reason, really, to change it.