1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Browsers

Discussion in 'Web Browsers' started by toradrake, Dec 13, 2014.

1. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

I shift between browsers a lot as well. For a while I used Opera as my primary browser. I only just recently went back to using Chrome.

I really like Safari as well. It is supposed to be one of the slower browsers but I still like the advanced, gadget sort of look/feel that it has. It's fun to surf the web is Safari every now and then for a change of scenery.

2. toradrake Member

toradrake

I am primarily using Firefox, but I am always hunting for a browser I like better. I really like seamonkey but then it started having issues.

3. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

Does Firefox seem to be faster than Opera & Safari to you? It is supposed to be one of the faster browsers. IE is even faster I've read. I can understand why though. It's the very reason why people don't like it. It's kind of bland and featureless.

4. toradrake Member

toradrake

It seems so to me, but I have only used Safari and Opera on a mac and not a PC and Mac's run differently then a PC.

5. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

That could have something to do with it. I've never owned a mac myself and have only used it on occasions when I'm using a friend's computer. Safari is an Apple browser and therefore most likely designed to fit the Macintosh operating system. There is of course a Windows version of Safari but it probably still doesn't run on Windows as well as in does on a Mac.

6. Converse Active Member

Converse

Unlike Microsoft Internet Explorer, for the PC, Safari is a very good browser so, as the default browser for a Mac, most people have no reason to change their default. It's simple enough to do, and Mac users are more likely to be computer savvy than PC users, so if they didn't like Safari for any reason, they'd simply change it.

No, I am not suggesting that only idiots use PCs, as I would never say such a thing in public, but very few users will choose a Mac as their first computer, if only for the fact that PCs are far less expensive.

I can't think of anything that I dislike about Safari so it is the main browser that I use. When I used a PC, my favorite browser was Opera. I have Opera on my Mac, and it has a very clean feel to it that I like, but on dynamic sites, like forums, it requires me to refresh my browser too often. That's not a huge problem but, given that there are no negatives that I have experienced with Safari, there has been no reason for me to look for an alternative to it.

I have every imaginable browser installed on my computer because I like to see how my sites look on different browsers. On that point, it has been years since I have encountered a browser-specific problem with any of my sites.

Up until 2008, when I switched to Mac, Firefox was my favorite browser, mostly because it had less bloat. Today, I don't know about Firefox for the PC, but the Mac version of Firefox is horribly bloated. I still use it on my second screen generally and, in the event that I am going to stream a movie on my computer, as opposed to using Roku, for some reason, I'll use Chrome.

7. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

You are right that most people using Mac once used PCs. However that doesn't make them more computer savvy.

I know three people who use macs and only one of them is computer savvy. The other two are just average internet users.

I think the ratio is about the same. People don't choose Mac because they're good with computers and want something to fit that better. They just don't like a PC or thought they would try something new.

8. Converse Active Member

Converse

It doesn't necessarily mean that, but very few people have a Mac as their first computer, so brand new computer users are probably using a PC.

9. toradrake Member

toradrake

My first computer was a Mac... Just saying. LOL I'm savvy now, but boy was I computer challenged when I got that Mac. LMAO

10. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

I had a friend of mine that owned a Mac as his first computer.

I agree though that the majority of Mac users owned a PC first.

If you really want to find some tech savvy people look for Linux users. :p

If someone is using Linux then you can be sure that they know what they're talking about when it comes to computers.

11. Converse Active Member

Converse

True enough. I tried to install Ubuntu on one of the PCs that I have around the house and it locked up. That was about five years ago. Now the computer boots to the Ubuntu screen and stops there. It no longer recognizes the disk drive, so it's not like I can even use a recovery disk. Not a big deal since we have nine working PCs in our library, from when we owned an Internet cafe years ago.

12. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

Wow that sucks. Kind of a shame to just let the computer go to waste. Is it a very expensive? What kind is it?

I tried installing Linux Ubuntu once on one of my PCs but I couldn't figure it out. I know a lot about computers but I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to dealing with operating systems.

13. Converse Active Member

Converse

Gateways. We have a bunch of them, along with a few other working PCs that we rarely fire up unless we're looking for something.

14. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

I have also noticed that sometimes websites won't work with certain browsers that you use. Sometimes I will use Chrome to get onto my Google Doc account and it won't work. I mean you would think that it would work since I'm using the browser that it's for, but sometimes it doesn't depending on the computer that I'm on. Sometimes I was only able to get on FireFox and use my Google Docs. It stinks because I'm not a huge fan of FireFox.