1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Change in Default Search Engine and its Effects

Discussion in 'Search Engines' started by SimplySidy, Dec 18, 2014.

1. SimplySidy Member

SimplySidy

Sometime during the end of November 2014, the news surfaced that Firefox and Google have terminated their contract and from December onwards, Firefox will have Yahoo as its default search engine.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-30125077

Though, this change will not affect too many people, but definitely those who always preferred to use the default search engine of the browser will now be using Yahoo instead of Google.

If however we go by the statistics here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers Google's Chrome definitely is the worlds preferred browser and as it is a Google Product, it will continue to have Google as its default search engine.

Anyways. The question now is - What effects will this change from Google as default to Yahoo as default search engine would imply? Does it mean, you should start optimizing your website for Yahoo (in case you never bothered to think Yahoo earlier ?) ? And yes, how do you view this migration to another search engine - in terms of SEO and also as a user of the browser.

Have a great day. And yes, Christmas is near... keep decorating and enjoy your holidays... :)

2. Rainman New Member

Rainman

Most people browse the net using their smart devices these days. And the numbers keep growing each day. Firefox's browser for smart devices isn't great and is used by very few people. Google realizing that the new partnership wouldn't affect them much let Yahoo outbid them. So for searches conducted on mobile devices, Yahoo will still get no more searches than they originally got.

For those who use their PCs [and the change applies only in Europe] chances are those who were using Yahoo will still keep using Yahoo and the few who haven't been using it upon realizing that they are not getting the same amount of relevant search results they are accustomed to may change their default search engine or . . .

Since Google will still be dominating the search market it's too early to start optimizing websites for Yahoo.

3. ducklord Member

ducklord

Well, up to a point Mozilla shot themselves on the foot by changing the default search engine of Firefox and, at the same time, adding an easier way "to select and switch search engines" in its latest builds. If you download Nightly (don't know about the "normal" one, I only run this and Aurora or however they call their not-that-stable build lately), you'll see a new tiny window pop-up right under the search bar whenever you want, with icons for the installed search engines you can use with a click, and an option to "switch to something else". So, I guess it won't be that hard for a 50% of users who understand the difference between Yahoo! and Google to switch to the one they prefer :-D

4. toradrake Member

toradrake

Really? I was not aware of that. I have chrome, but I rarely use it. To many privacy issues and it keeps going bonkers on me. I use Firefox more so then chrome and I rarely use IE. Whenever I get a browser I always automically change the default to Bing.

5. SimplySidy Member

SimplySidy

Personally, I too am more inclined towards using Mozilla. I still run XP on a 5GB on my Computer (Kept it alive to play some Diablo and IGI Games). Else I have Ubuntu. The newer Chrome and even Mozilla have issues with XP and so I still use Mozilla v23. And am okay with it. Chrome crashes often on XP these days and so I rarely use it for browsing.

On Ubuntu, it comes with Mozilla and I have no problems with it on Ubuntu - and have latest versions. I installed chrome on Ubuntu too but it ran into crashes more often - maybe because I started using too many tabs on it.

I keep Chrome only for testing purposes when I am developing some website. Some clients need me to have Windows IE8 at least these days (another reason to keep XP alive) else, for all other tasks related to development, I use Ubuntu - Mozilla and Chrome.

6. ducklord Member

ducklord

@SimplySidy You've mentioned it before and I wondered but forgot to ask: why don't you simply install Win7 on it? Your PC can't be that old that it doesn't support Windows 7 - in some cases it felt even lighter than XP!

And, just out of curiosity: do you use VirtualBox and WINE as well? If not, check them out - since you like Linux, it's easier "running Windows apps" that way than having to reboot each and every time. Plus, you can pull of tricks like using your Linux's ZRam as a virtual disk in Windows to make them run faster than they would, by having access to compressed virtual memory as a hard drive. If you're interested in that but dunno how to do it, I can help :-D

7. SimplySidy Member

SimplySidy

The desktop that I use has only 1 GB of RAM - the RAM for this PC is expensive out here as they dont sell DDR2 RAM locally. I have a 80 GB HDD on it and only 5 GB is allotted to XP (only playing IGI, and Diablo and some Photoshop - I have a portable version given to me by a client). My not being a designer helps me as I dont use Photoshop that frequently.

On the laptop, I do have Windows 7 but the past 8-9 months, I have been unable to use it as my wifey has been using it for her work.

As for WINE, I never had the need to use XP for major things (ever since XP was declared dead by MS) - most of what I do, can be done via Ubuntu too - and as such, I never tried the WINE thing. I have Skype, VideoLan and also FileZilla + LAMP on Ubuntu. Agreed, there is no IE or Safari on it.

8. ducklord Member

ducklord

@SimplySidy I think I had some stick of DDR2 lying somewhere, but even if I found it I guess it would cost a lot to send it over there - more than an extra 256MB's of RAM would be worth :-D

And yeah, that sucks 'cause DDR2 prices were sky high last time I checked, and if you're stuck on an old system it would cost almost half of a brand new laptop to upgrade just its RAM and HDD.

The Wine-Virtualbox-general virtualization thing I mentioned isn't used ONLY for XP. WINE offers you general compatibility with lots of Windows apps and games (you can run Photoshop and World of Warcraft on your Linux box if you like :-D ), and Virtualbox can be used to install any kind of x86 OS you can think of - and now there's also a perfectly working Android x86 port. The perfect webdev would install Win XP-7-8, MacOS and Android in VirtualBox and check each of his projects "natively" in each one. But we ain't perfect and that would be boring :p