1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Converse

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Converse, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Converse Active Member

Converse

For those of you who were not a member of our previous forum, I'll tell you what the Converse member account is all about. I am the administrator of this forum, and I have an administrator account as well, but this is the one that I will use for most of my conversations on this board. There are a few advantages to using an account other than the admin account.

For one, some people have an aversion to disagreeing with something that the forum administrator might say in a discussion in his own forum. To be sure, some forum administrators like to play god in their own forum, and that's fine as long as there are people who don't mind being subjects.

Although I don't hide the fact that I am the forum administrator, I have found that using another account for my discussions takes the edge off. Forum members feel freer to disagree with me or to let me know when I'm being stupid. I like that; not being stupid, but knowing about it when it occurs.

Related, there is also the fact that I don't have to feel as if everything I say is intended to be the end of a conversation. The best part of having a forum is being able to talk with the people who are here with me, and I am a member of several other forums, as well.

My Converse account doesn't have any special privileges. As Converse, I will move up the ranks like anyone else, based on the quantity and quality of my posting, and other things that I do here. Although I don't think that I would be inclined to be rash anyway, being logged into the forum under a non-admin account would require that I log into another account in order to take any actions that any other member of the forum could do. Participating in the forum as Converse means that some time will elapse before I could do such things, and that gives me time to consider whether it's really so necessary.

If you were a part of the old forum, you already know this, but if you're new here, let me assure you that you can treat Converse as you would any other forum member. I hope you would be nice to anyone, but you don't have to be any nicer to me.

Along the same lines, if I disagree with you in a forum discussion, as Converse, I am simply offering my opinion, not making a policy statement on behalf of the forum administration.

2. Converse Active Member

Converse

I have not been active in this forum myself over the past few weeks, and I am going to try to do better. At least I'll explain.

My daughter, who was a warrant office in the army, died a few weeks back. After several tours of duty in Kosovo, Afghanistan, Iraq, and the United Arab Emirates, she passed away in her sleep on a beach in North Carolina after returning from the UAE, only a few days after leaving here, following a five-day visit. High blood pressure, heat, and alcohol are a bad mixture, apparently.

The army was terrific, as far as making arrangements went but there was the trip to North Carolina, a memorial service at Fort Bragg, and another civilian service, and the fact that I had gotten behind on pretty much everything during this time.

Thank you very much for carrying on here, and I am going to try to be more active here.

3. Ray Active Member

Ray

My condolences to you and your family.

It sure is good to see you back on the saddle again!

As you've provably noticed by now, in your absence, there have been many topics discussion started here about everything under the sun, except Web Directories, and the very few posts on the subject had not been very favorable.

I fail to understand why someone would come and sign-on to a subject-specific forum like this one, and rant about unrelated subjects that are, for the most part, irrelevant to the theme of the forum.

Look at the last hundred or so posts, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

4. Converse Active Member

Converse

I've noticed some of that, yes. I don't know that I'll ever find the time to go through all of them, but I'll be checking in with the forum every day from this point on, with some exceptions.

Nor do I. It's a little bit like joining a football forum in order to rant about how boring football is, and that I don't watch it. Kind of pointless, but I suppose people do that too,