1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Directory Creation

Discussion in 'Directory Scripts/Themes' started by toradrake, Feb 6, 2015.

1. toradrake Member

toradrake

I am unable to work on my directory at the moment, but I do have a few questions on its creation before I start. One of the questions I have is look.

I have noticed that the big directories on the net have very little design to them. There are a few with elegant designs and such, but sites like DMOZ are very simplistic in design. What type of design should I go for? Should I go for the simplistic or should I go for something more elaborate?

Please add links to directories, or sites, as examples of your idea of a good design for a directory.

2. Ray Active Member

Ray

I'm provably the last person who should be saying anything about this but, the simplicity factor was, at one time, very important to reduce page-loading time.

In the prehistoric ages of modern Internet speeds, 1992-2012, when most of these old directories were introduced, the goal was to keep pages as light as possible so they could be easily rendered in your browser. With modern connection speeds, (other than mobile connections), that is no longer a major design factor for any website, including web directories.

As priorities change, the main concern now days is "responsive design", that is simply the ability of a web page to render in multiple devices, and this is something that continues to evolve, and made simpler and better every day.

Your design, except for the "page color" ;), should be more inclusive of new technologies that enhances user experience and functionality, that will make your directory not only look great, but actually attractive to visitors, and potential customers.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
    toradrake likes this.
  3. Converse Active Member

Converse

I agree. Although it may not be possible or practical for every old directory to make this change, but responsive design should be a large factor in any new directory. A responsive design doesn't have to be devoid of style, or unattractive, but there is a similarity to many of them that I fear with become boring after awhile. Personally, I hate the idea that, because people refuse to get themselves a real computer, we have to go backwards, to some extent. In the early 2000's, sites had to be simplistic because so many of our users were on a dialup connection. Now that most people (in this country, anyhow) have high-speed connections, we're handicapped by the fact that people insist on using a telephone rather than a computer to access our sites.

4. toradrake Member

toradrake

For simplicity sake (and for those who are new to this even its terminology) can you dumb your explanation down like for instance what do you mean by "responsive design"? LOL I understand what you guys are saying, but there are those who may look at this thread for answers and not understand what a "responsive design" is.

Personally, I hate the way the DMOZ is designed, but I understand the simplicity reasoning. Like you said, it is for the old load time, but it is still useful even today. There are still people on slow systems (hard to believe I know) and the quicker a page loads the better. Especially when dealing with search engines. Their spiders actually do calculate your load time (unless they changed this without me knowing) and your page load time can effect your placement in their engines. So it is always better to try and stay simple.

My idea for my directory was to do a sold color back ground to make it easy on the eyes as white is a harsh color to look at. A picture or two here and there (not to many, maybe 3 possibly 4 all together) and that is it. Nothing more. Very simple look but not to plain. What do you guys think of my idea?

5. Ray Active Member

Ray

Hi Tora,
    You know, if you'd slow-down and read the whole post, instead of simply scanning and hastily responding, you'd get more out of them. As you always say LOL.
    Read this part of my post:

6. toradrake Member

toradrake

LMAO I hang my head in shame. I actually did not see that. Guess I need to start reading more closely. Actually the white background makes the words blur and my eyes have a hard time adjusting to it. Sometimes I can't see what I am reading. I don't know why this is, but whenever there is a white background, I have issues. But I don't want to change the settings so that it changes the colors cause then when I go to certain places it is more of a problem then a help. Guess I just need to take my time and reread everything to make for sure I get the whole message. My bad! :oops: