1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Do you think Microsoft's Bing advertising is working?

Discussion in 'Bing' started by Sly14Cat, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Sly14Cat New Member

Sly14Cat

I've seen a lot of attempts on Microsoft's part to get Bing out there. They even pay people to say "Bing it" in movies or television shows. It just seems to make a bigger mockery of it though, since it's quite obvious that nobody actually says that. Do you think all this advertising they're trying out is actually working?

2. Converse Active Member

Converse

If they persist, it can. All they needed to get me were the bribes though. Offering a decent search experience and gift certificates, Bing is pretty much all that I use, and I strongly recommend it, especially since I get credits when someone else joins too. ;)

3. Billy New Member

Billy

Ha ha. "Bing it" that sounds like someone is being sarcastic. It's like the situation with Facebook, once a company has become really big and keep adding little extras to the mix, it's hard to get people to switch. Of course, Google may very well screw things up by themselves, by placing far too many ads on the search results, which is getting bigger and bigger, but until they tick off the users, Google will be the king.

4. toradrake Member

toradrake

I have been watching Bing for quite some time and they are moving along quite nicely. Their search results seem to be cleaner than google also... but then again, google started out similar to bing and you see where they are now. The thing that keeps google on top though is the fact they are advancing into various different fields (like the google glasses). Bing is becoming pretty big competition for them though and it seems that Yahoo is slowly slipping away.

5. Converse Active Member

Converse

Of course, Bing is Microsoft and they're moving into several different areas as well, the difference being that they have separated their search (which used to be MSN Search) from their brand, something that Google hasn't done.

6. toradrake Member

toradrake

Which might have been a smart thing for Microsoft to do. Google has some much going on that they are slipping in different areas. With Bing being apart yet separate from Microsoft, it may push further then Google and surpass them as the #1. You never know.

7. GlacialDoom New Member

GlacialDoom

Microsoft has been pushing Bing and Internet Explorer like hell recently, and I don't really think they have changed anything.

I don't think Bing will ever overcome its current reputation as a "free gift card vendor", at least not for the majority of the population. For one, I don't think that the results are relevant to my search terms 50% of the time, and that's a huge turn-off for me. I like Google at the moment, but I will continue using Bing for the free Amazon gift cards.

8. CyberGal New Member

CyberGal

I also don't think that Bing will ever beat out Google. They have too much of a dominance of the SE market and don't seem to be losing it. Most people I know say "Google it."

9. NathanG New Member

NathanG

While Google does dominate a large portion of the search engine market, Bing has started offering a strong incentive to use their search engine - money. This is probably the only reason I ever use Bing, to get those small gift cards from them, which add up over time. Although, I have never heard anyone say "Bing It."

10. CyberGal New Member

CyberGal

Yeah, but Bing isn't the only search engine to offer incentives to use their services. There's other sites like Swag Bucks that you can also use. I personally prefer Swag Bucks over Bing but I do understand the "game." I just don't necessarily think that you can buy your way to the top or else you'd have seen these other sites succeed at doing so by now. They can try but people are going to go where they're the most comfortable and so many people have been using Google for so long that I think they'll stay loyal there. Like you said, you hear "Google it" so often but never any other search engine mentioned in that way.

11. Converse Active Member

Converse

Bing wasn't created as a pay-to-search product. Previously, they were known as MSN Search. The difference between Bing and Swag Bucks is that Bing is a real search engine that is using gift cards in order to entice people away from Google, much as they did with their Bing Challenge, while Swag Bucks is powered by Yahoo.

12. CyberGal New Member

CyberGal

I had honestly been wondering what powered Swag Bucks. I should have know by some of the searches that I'd done and ending up with a Yahoo map but for some reason it just didn't "click." Personally I don't mind Yahoo search powering Swag Bucks. Yahoo seems to do a decent job. I usually get what I'm looking for and that's what really matters to me. In fact, I've only been using Google as a secondary search engine anymore so I guess I'm also moving away from Google but in my own way LOL

13. Rainman New Member

Rainman

The only thing Bing had to work on in order to compete against Google was tweak their search algorithms so they provide relevant search results. The default search engine on my browser is Google so normally though at times I don't want to use it instead of clicking buttons left and right, I just use it anyway. However when I don't get what I'm looking for I use Bing and three of four times, Bing has surprised. What Google could find but bury deep, I find on page #1 of Bing's SERPs.

There's no way to compare the two search engines. For some searches, Bing is great. For others Google is better. But good thing is since Bing now can get their users search results which are as good as Google's their advertising/marketing will pay off eventually. Out of every 10 users they get from Google, some may stop using Google as their default search engine once they realize that they not only get the information they seek but also get paid whilst doing that.

14. toradrake Member

toradrake

Swag Bucks is powered by Yahoo and Yahoo is powered by Bing.... so Swagbucks is pretty much powered by Bing through Yahoo.....

15. Converse Active Member

Converse

Except that Yahoo also has its own search, as its spiders are here often. For the kinds of searches that I do, Yahoo doesn't give me what I need.

16. toradrake Member

toradrake

Why would Yahoo pick up Bing if they have their own spiders? Why can't they just stand on their own again? Makes no sense to me.

17. Converse Active Member

Converse

I don't get it either, but they've had their own spider all along. There is probably an expense involved in maintaining an index as large as Google's but I'd think a company the size of Yahoo would be able to handle that. You can view the bots that are in this forum and, although Yahoo is far from the most common visitor, I see Yahoo bots here often. In fact right now there are three Bing spiders and one Yahoo spider.

18. toradrake Member

toradrake

I thought when they picked up Google they dropped their spiders. I was not aware they still had them. Good to know Converse. I wonder if them keeping their spiders and the changes they have been making may be a indication that sometime in the near future they intend to stand alone again?

19. Converse Active Member

Converse

No, their statement has been "augmented by Google," or "supplemented by Google," or something along those lines.

20. toradrake Member

toradrake

I never noticed that :p How unobservant of me. LOL Thank you for pointing that out to me.