1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Does anyone still use the Yahoo engine?

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by Sly14Cat, Nov 6, 2014.

1. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

I honestly don't like using any search engine besides Google. The only time you'll find me using Yahoo is if I'm using a friend/family member's computer or my computer was infected by malware and I haven't taken the time to reset my homepage, remove the malware, etc.

I don't think there search results or the way the results are displayed are as good as Google. Might just be that I'm used to Google and have a biased opinion but all I can say is that when I browse the web with Google I have a much more clean and pleasant experience.

2. Scorp Member

Scorp

@KenBrace Now that you mentioned malware and Yahoo in the same sentence, you reminded me of something...

Recently I was at a friend's house who called me because his browser kept popping up different ads and always redirecting every search he makes to Yahoo instead of Google (he wanted Google)...

So I went to his place and though that the Yahoo issue must be the Firefox's defaults, and the ads are probably an add-on or a program...

So I check Firefox's settings, and I see Google set as the default search engine. I check the add-ons, and sure enough, there was something there. I remove it, and restart Firefox, but the unwanted ads still show, and searching still goes through Yahoo instead of Google...

okay... okay...

So I go Programs and Files and look through the list of programs installed on his computer, and I spot 1 suspicious looking one. I ask him about it, he says he has no idea what it is, and so after checking up on it to make sure it's not system-related, I remove it and restart the computer.

Upon restarting, the unwanted ads are gone, great. But the search is still going through Yahoo for some reason...

So I look in the Programs and Files again and find one more suspicious-looking program. I remove it, restart. Upon restarting, I do a search and sure enough, the search is done through Google instead of Yahoo...

So, okay, I fixed the problems for him. But then I was like, "So is Yahoo into infecting people's computers in order to make them use their search engine? :eek: WTF?"

I mean, what benefit does anyone have to make a malicious program that will make your browser use Yahoo instead of Google? Or any other search engine for that matter...

3. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

I wouldn't doubt it. Every time my computer get's infected with malware I get Yahoo set as my default homepage, etc. I usually have to go through deleting a bunch of stuff, uninstalling things, or even re-installing my browser to get rid of it. Very annoying. Maybe they use it to try and catch up with Google. Bad business ethics in my opinion. All it does for me is cause me to dislike Yahoo. I now associate it with malware.

4. Scorp Member

Scorp

No, I honestly really don't think that they would resort to that. They wouldn't drop SO LOW!

I mean, that's grounds for lawsuits and loss of Everything they've got. And sure, they're not as big as they used to be, but they're still pretty large, and they wouldn't do something so petty and endanger their entire business... I don't think.

There must be some other reason. Maybe, I don't know, Google somehow affects the ads and they can't appear properly, so the malware-spreaders prefer you use Yahoo because the ads are shown more? I don't know... just thinking out loud here.

5. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

True. Didn't really think about that. Yahoo does seem to have more ad space than Google. The environment in general seems more conductive to popups and advertisements. Good point. You're right that it would be crazy for Yahoo to drop so low as use malware to promote their search engine.

Scorp likes this.
  6. athena02 New Member

athena02

I don't. But to be fair, I never really used the Yahoo! engine for any reason whatsoever. I only really go on yahoo to check my spare emails, or to promote links on Yahoo! Answers. You'd be surprised by how much a Best Answer on the right question can help with traffic conversion.

7. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

I always found Yahoo to look fairly unattractive.

I would always hate it when malware would switch my homepage from Google to Yahoo.

I used to hate all search engines besides Google but recently it would seem that Bing is upping their game. I'm starting to like Bing's results better than Google's.

8. PandaDZN New Member

PandaDZN

Anything that looks like Yahoo and Bing is just an insult to Google's search engine. Companies try to create their own search engine and web browsers. Whilst it is cool, it might bring down their reputation.

9. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

I don't think that I have ever used Yahoo! I just didn't like the way that it was set up. I think that all the other search engines besides Google are set up poorly. When I look something up, then I always search through Google. On my boyfriends laptop, he has his search engine set up for Yahoo! but I changed it because I would use his laptop and hated using Yahoo! I know that might sound bad, but he doesn't care what search engine he is using. Honestly, Google has always been my favorite.

10. Converse Active Member

Converse

For a few years, the Yahoo search engine was okay. It used its own crawl results and gave preference to sites that were listed in its web directory. But that was a long time ago. Although they do still have their own web crawler, since I see their spiders on my sites all the time, they supplement their results with Bing results, and sort them in ways that are not altogether helpful. Yahoo has the technology and the money to compete in the search engine industry but, for some reason, they have chosen not to.

11. maverick New Member

maverick

That's basically my opinion too. I never used Yahoo and I don't know what Yahoo can offer more than Google... I mean it's quite nice maybe to have a summery of the news on the homepage but that's it. Also, as you said, Google has more pleasant experience than Yahoo about content navigation. Yahoo is a bit more fancy and I can't really get used to it while Google is really simple and immediate, two things that I really like and pretand from a good search engine.

12. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

Yeah, I mean they were good for awhile, and now they just aren't. I mean I remember going there all the time for things that I needed, but I just don't go there anymore. Maybe they know that they can't compete with the other search engines and don't want to waste money? That would be the only thing that I could think of. There are many other there that other people could use, so why would they waste money, when they could end up losing it?