1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Does anyone use DuckDuckGo?

Discussion in 'Search Engines' started by mdaudali, Nov 3, 2014.

1. CyberGal New Member

CyberGal

I never even heard of it before. In fact I went over to my favorite search engine for looking things up in, Swag Bucks, and looked to see what it even was. The name didn't even hint to me that this was a search engine. I didn't really try it out as I'm not interested in finding another search engine to use. I personally find that Swag Bucks offers me what I need and yet it also pays me to use it. I kind of like that idea since I do a lot of transcription work and find myself looking a lot of stuff up for it and making a few extra dollars each month for that is well worth it to me.

2. Scorp Member

Scorp

Yes, they say that they don't collect personal information and keep you anonymous while searching, unlike Google.

I see no one mentioned this, but as far as I remember the Anonymous were using DuckDuckGo to search the web. That's actually how I heard about it a year or so ago. I was reading an article about the Anonymous, and in the article it said that those guys used DuckDuckGo because it's safe and secure etc. And so of course I went and checked it out...

And I remember I was pretty pumped up at that point and decided to try and use it for a while, but after a short while I reverted back to Google, I don't even remember why. Maybe it was too slow, like another poster mentioned, or the results I was getting weren't satisfactory.

Truth is, I love any company/site that hits back against this monopoly that Google and Facebook have established in their fields. And especially the ones that don't collect your information and respect your privacy. I wish this search engine gets more popular, although, unfortunately I don't see it happening, not any time soon anyway... but one never knows. :)

3. Converse Active Member

Converse

It would make sense that they used the Tor browser (which is built on Firefox), and Tor used to use DuckDuckGo as the default search engine, but I see that Tor is now using Startpage.

4. Rainman New Member

Rainman

K-Meleon [the browser I use] set DuckDuckGo as their default search engine. When they released the new version of the browser, I actually used the SE for a little while.

The results were OK but for some reason the browser kept crashing and I had to revert to using the older version of K-meleon but decided to stick with Google from then on. Not that I wasn't impressed with DuckDuckGos' search results but fact is they've still got a little way to go before they can deliver search results which are as good as Bing's or Google's.

5. NathanG New Member

NathanG

Ah, that makes perfect sense then. I guess when you aren't searching for things for personal reasons, you don't really need personalized results, because they wouldn't be that useful. In that case, DuckDuckGo would most likely be the way to go. :)

6. Sly14Cat New Member

Sly14Cat

Yep they put quite a bit of work into keeping your data safe. They even offer to have you watch YouTube videos through their servers so that Google or whoever doesn't know that it was you watching them. If you do a bit of a Google search I'm pretty sure a few results come up about the privacy levels.

7. Aree Wongwanlee New Member

Aree Wongwanlee

I have tried DuckDuckGo. Yes, it works. Yes, there are no ads. No, it doesn't make me want to change from Google. One of the things I do with Google is to look for images. I set the search filter to licenced for re-use because I don't want images which will cause copyright problems. I do not find this search filter in DuckDuckGo. Perhaps it's there but I didn't see it. So I am still using Google.

8. ducklord Member

ducklord

Nope, it sucks. When you start wanting uber-specific results about something, it starts throwing out stuff you don't want (and never thought could be relevant). Here, I'll admit it: I've jailbroken my PS3. Not to play illegaly downloaded games, but 'cause I wrote a tutorial about it - and to write it, I had to do it. During that period, I was also checking out DuckDuckGo. Any search for "jailbroken PS3" brought either irrelevant or days old results compared to what Google and Yahoo (and even Bing) displayed.

It's not that it's bad, per se, just that it feels like it indexes awesomely one 10% of the total web, and makes a mess of the rest when you try to dig some info up. Maybe it got better since then, but I'd be the last to know - they already lost me back then. Plus, I've never seen any apps using any "DuckDuckGo Api", whereas even I, a non-developer, can do some basic scripting to "call" Google Search from a basic app I create with AutoHotKey.

9. Sly14Cat New Member

Sly14Cat

Well I'm not too sure about what you're talking about in the first part. Maybe you tried the search a while ago, because I'm getting some pretty good results for "jailbroken PS3".

10. ducklord Member

ducklord

@Sly14Cat That's why I said "During that period, I was also checking out DuckDuckGo". Not now. I said it might have gotten better, but I wouldn't know, since I gave up on it back then. It was like it was playing catch-up to Google (back then) when I was searching for jPS3 info.

11. Converse Active Member

Converse

I'm in a hotel right now, using my MacBook and, since I changed my Bing account password since I last used my MacBook, I don't have access to it. Since I wasn't earning points through Bing, I thought I'd give DuckDuckGo a try. I don't know if I had ever tried to use it for serious searching before.

I don't like it. DuckDuckGo returns far too many deep links in its results, at the expense of top-level domains that would be relevant to the search. Since I don't include deep links among the listings that I add to a directory when I'm seeding it, these simply get in the way. DuckDuckGo compounds the problem by forcing me to do a mouseover in order to determine whether it's a deep link.

As long as I'm experimenting, think I'll give Yahoo a try.

12. simplecan New Member

simplecan

I like the concept of Duckduckgo -- no ad, no collecting data, very good privacy policies. I also like the layout and the simple design -- I might be vain, but it's just very pretty. I installed it as my main browser for a few months, a year or two ago. For very simple obvious searches, it did good. However, most of the time, I sent my search and the results were not satisfactory... So I ended up having to use Google on top of it anyway. It also lacks filters, like AreeW. mentioned it, both for search results and images search. I hope it keeps improving though.

13. Aree Wongwanlee New Member

Aree Wongwanlee

I am not sure if DuckDuckGo will have the incentive to keep on improving. The reason why Google is improving their search engine is very simple. They are making lots of money from their search engine and they want to make a lot more. So they keep on investing in research to make their search engine better and better.

14. simplecan New Member

simplecan

They have a concept that is rather unique and is obviously an option that people want to have. I'm not sure why you would think that they would not want to improve, at least in simple ways. If your argument is that the only reason someone could have to try to make their product better is "the hope of having as much money as Google", I am pretty sure a tons of counter examples could be found. The big companies will probably always make more money and thus always have a lot of money to invest, but that does not mean that duckduckgo cannot find sponsors or donations from users who want to help it out. Heck, if they had a big feature to install, they could probably crowdfund it, even.

15. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

I think that I have heard about this before. I honestly don't like using anything other than Google, I find that may other search engines aren't worth it. I tried out Bing and it just wasn't the same, I didn't like the results that they came up with. I mean I'm sure that there are plenty of people who perfer Bing, but I would just rather have Google.

Scorp likes this.