1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Domain vs. Sub Domain Names

Discussion in 'Domains' started by toradrake, Nov 1, 2014.

1. toradrake Member

toradrake

It probably is best to get a domain name for your site whenever possible, but some people starting out may not be able to afford the expenses involved for both a domain name and hosting. So these individuals may choose a free hosting site which creates a sub domain name for the site. I have always wondered if that lowers your search engine ranking.

2. Converse Active Member

Converse

Were you really wondering that?

Of course it lowers your search engine ranking. With domain names costing less than ten dollars a year, and paid hosting plans available for only a few dollars a month, I can't imagine why anyone would opt for a free hosting plan unless it's strictly for a personal site that you might want to send your mother to, and of course you don't need search engine ranking for that.

3. toradrake Member

toradrake

LOL, the reason behind the wonder is because I have done quite a bit of search queries that ended with a lot of businesses using sub domain names on the first two pages of the search. So naturally it would have had me doubting the sub domain would effect a sites ranking. If a business can not afford hosting and domain name, how would they afford to pay to have their site so high on the search??? So I assumed that my previous thought that it would lower a sites ranking may have been wrong.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  4. fastreplies Original Member

fastreplies

Original

The reason they do is, because sub-domains has been evaluated by Algos as an
    independent domain which people use to highlight the differences between subjects
    they might have and to underline subjects related or not related to main domain.

No, as far as SERP goes. Algo sees domain and sub as 2 different entities

Pay for what? For being on top in SERP?
    We have a few of our sites on Page #1 in SERP but I can promise you we never paid
    a penny to SEO them nor ever will to do so.

:)

fastreplies

5. Converse Active Member

Converse

My understanding was that you were talking about using free hosting on a subdomain in lieu of buying a regular hosting plan. My response to the effect that you would probably not rank for that is based on the fact that the algorithms are going to recognize free web hosts for what they are, and probably not bother spidering or ranking them highly.

There is nothing inherently wrong with subdomains, as far as ranking goes. Although they are closing it at the end of the year, dir.yahoo.com seemed to do well, and I'm rather fond of dir.webdirectoryreviews.org for some reason.

6. fastreplies Original Member

fastreplies

Original

Simply put...
    Domain's folders benefit from PR and SERP equally, whereas sub-domains
    are gaining PR and SERP independently.

fastreplies

Converse likes this.
  7. LuckyGirl08 New Member

LuckyGirl08

Buying a domain is better than having a sub domain. I know that they could get a little expensive but if you allow advertisement on your site then you can use that to pay for the domain every month.

8. fastreplies Original Member

fastreplies

Original

And where do you go to buy sub-domains?
    Does it cost you cheaper if you buy a few sub-domains at once?

fastreplies

9. Converse Active Member

Converse

I think what they're talking about is free subdomain hosting, such as mysite.freehosting.com but I could be wrong.

10. Billy New Member

Billy

A lot of the time it can actually help your search engine ranking, because you're given some of the authority of the domain (blogger, weebly, etc). When a new domain comes along, it will, most of the time, take longer, because it doesn't have the trust that an older domain has.

11. Converse Active Member

Converse

As @fastreplies has said, the search engines (Google, anyhow) will treat the subdomain as a separate site. For example my dir.webdirectoryreviews.org subdomain is stronger than the top domain, according to most of the metrics. Does that help the top domain? I don't think it does as far as positioning in the SERPs goes, although visitors landing on my directory of directories are likely to visit the review site, as evidenced by my traffic stats.

12. Shamzblueworld New Member

Shamzblueworld

Subdomains are surely going to rank lower the tlds, but if anyone who can't afford a tld and using a free hosting, I'd recommend the free .tk domains, they are ranked equally as .com's and also they look better than any other subdomain you might have, and also now they have developer free dns service, which really is awesome if you are a newbie without any budget to work with.