1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Ello - Free Invites

Discussion in 'Social Networking' started by Scorp, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Scorp Member

Scorp

Ello is a new social networking site that's supposedly anti-facebook.

They're promoting it as a site that doesn't have any advertising on it, and it never will.

Here's their manifesto:

"Your social network is owned by advertisers.

Every post you share, every friend you make and every link you follow is tracked, recorded and converted into data. Advertisers buy your data so they can show you more ads. You are the product that’s bought and sold.

We believe there is a better way. We believe in audacity. We believe in beauty, simplicity and transparency. We believe that the people who make things and the people who use them should be in partnership.

We believe a social network can be a tool for empowerment. Not a tool to deceive, coerce and manipulate — but a place to connect, create and celebrate life.

You are not a product."

Recently I looked into this site and then registered. It looks good, and I believe there is potential there to make money. Sure, you can join it to pass the time, like you do on Facebook, but you can also post your links there trying to promote your websites/offers on your timeline. And if you can get a lot of friends, those people will see your posts and some may click them. That's what I mean by making money...

There is no way to make money directly from Ello. I mean, how would there be, they don't even make money themselves because they have no ads on their site. The only "monetization" I've seen on Ello is selling t-shirts. That's how they make money I guess...

The one catch that they have is that everybody needs an invitation code in order to be able to register. When I was trying to register I kept coming across codes online on various forums, but none of them seemed to work. And I was amazed to come across people on Fiverr and eBay even that are selling invitation codes.

Eventually I came across this site that I want to share with you today. You can get an invitation code for free. No registration needed or anything ---> ello-invite.com

I wonder, do you think that Ello has any potential? I mean, I like it, but I wonder if it will survive the test of time...

2. xTinx New Member

xTinx

There was so much hype around Ello last year, but all that fuss somehow died down in the first quarter of this year. I wonder what happened. Their recruitment system isn't nice. This "social network" looks too exclusive that the people who are now fed up with Facebook are hesitant to join. Their requests might be rejected.

3. PandaDZN New Member

PandaDZN

I don't like websites that require an invite because it sounds like you're joining something illegal. They want the public to be hyped about it but really only invites will be given out by friends who recieved those invites from friends and it just keeps on going.

4. Shamzblueworld New Member

Shamzblueworld

Well I recently read that facebook has more population than china, so if you are competing with that, you got a very slim chance to last a year. Even Google+ couldn't do it.

5. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

I have seen this around a lot more. Just like all of a sudden it just came out of nowhere. I also don't understand why they are having people only get in with invites. It just doesn't make sense since they are new. I could understand if they were a huge company and didn't want a ton more people on the site, it's just weird.

6. Scorp Member

Scorp

Well, when they were in their first few months of being online I guess it creates a sense of VIP member. Like, you're "special" since you got an invite to get in, and not just anyone can register.

Although, to keep the invites thing in place after all this time, which I'm unsure if they are still requiring invites to register, I think become a little counter-productive.

I don't think that site is going anywhere, but I could be wrong.

7. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

@Scorp That make sense, I just don't get it because then they might not get the numbers that they want on the site. Having to get a code to get on the site, makes me not want to use it. I have never used it, so I don't actually know how good it is. I think from the beginning it's been counter productive to make the site where you can only get in with an invite. I have to agree that the site isn't going anymore. I haven't heard anything about it in a long time.

Scorp likes this.