1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Facebook likes

Discussion in 'Social Networking' started by danielle davidson, Jun 13, 2015.

1. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

How do you feel about companies buying likes for their Facebook page? I can see why people would buy them. If they were just starting out a new company and they wanted people to like their page, they could get more likes that way. I honestly think that it's wrong in a way. Then you have fake likes on your page, and how accomplished do you feel? I would think that people would want to actually have people like the page, who like their products. I think that would be the best thing for their page because then when they are buying the likes they are able to get higher ratings when they don't deserve it. These companies are able to get Google to put them higher on their search engine, because of the fake likes. I think overall that it might be a smart way to companies to get other people to like their page, but overall it's a bad way since they are fake likes. What do you guys think about that?

2. Jason76 Member

Jason76

Yes, I definitely agree with you. Google claims to have the most fair method for ranking websites, but obviously a lot of SEO can still be gamed. You can just pick any unethical person on the street and get a like from them, even if your website is really bad. Anyhow, I don't think SEO will ever be totally free of gaming, but, honestly, I think most Facebook likes are real. Nonetheless, I'm sure big companies have considered buying likes and shares for their websites and Facebook pages, hence massively gaming SEO.

3. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

Yeah, I also think in that way that it's unfair. You can have a really great site, and then have not many people like it and have a lower ranking on Google. You could have a lower ranking than someone who has a poorly put together page. I think that it's unfair. They really should do something about that. I mean I'm sure most of them are, but I found a place where you are able to get them. So I'm sure that there are people out there who have used that. I'm sure that they are people who have a lot of likes and the pages aren't well put together. It's just so crazy that people buy those kinds of things.

4. Jason76 Member

Jason76

Actually, it was a lot worse in the past. A lot of people hate search engine updates, but they're the only way standards can be kept high. In the past, a lot of poorly designed websites either/or bad spelling made it to the top. However, Google might be going to the extreme with the recent "truth rank" thing they want to implement.

5. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

Yeah, that's what I have been hearing. I haven't heard about what Google is doing. What are they trying to do? I mean I think that it would be great if Google would look at these sites before they make them the most popular when you are searching for something. I have never run into a bad website, and honestly I hope that I don't. I do see people who buy followers and likes though, which gives them a better rank. I hate seeing that.