1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Facebook-Posts & -Replies ARE NOT "CHAT-CONVERSATIONS"!

Discussion in 'Facebook' started by rabst, Apr 17, 2015.

1. rabst New Member

I suppose they're becoming more-&-more like 'chat-conversations' (i.e. conversations in which all participants are RIGHT THERE and know what statement/reply you're questioning/answering).

But that's not how they are, especially if you're alerted to new responses by-email! Take for instance this post (which I'm too unvetted to link-to :( ). The original post is a link to a grammar-question. The reply (as I read in my email, not even remembering what I asked) was "I wish I knew"---no mention of 'what it was they wish they knew,' so it's spoken as if I'm still there!

Why do people think an original poster is so-'hovering over their posts' that they're immediately back in-context?

2. Converse Active Member

I've had people get mad at me for ignoring them because they don't realize that I only check my Facebook page when I get up and before I go to bed, generally.

3. Alunny Member

You shouldn't be managing Facebook through your email, there's your problem. They're comment threads which are/can be discussions. Either they're all replies to the original or they become a discussion/debate as the comments come in. Most people comment because it is a conversation. I've never ever heard someone complain about this before. I think it's because you're trying to Facebook through email. You should probably turn those notifications off, you can visit the site to see the same information under the notifications icon (with way more clarity).

Now if you're talking about idiots who post on random status' with conversation stuff, like "I've inboxed you!" or "check your inbox!" or "Guess what I did today!" then complain away because those are personal conversations that should happen in chat or in the case of inboxed you never LOL.

4. Converse Active Member

I don't mingle anything else with my email because I get enough spam in my email as it is.

Alunny likes this.
  5. mr_bucks New Member

Well some people post on FB every five minutes with a current update and picture of what they are doing. I am going to the bathroom, here is me in the bathroom. Here are the new shoes I want to buy. They also seem to like to post what they are eating and all sorts of silliness like that.

So they probably presume you are like them and online all the time also.

6. Jason76 Member

People are free to say what they want on the internet or Facebook. I don't want to be the culture police. :rolleyes:

However, from a personal POV, I'd rather not be on there. There is too much drama and, as someone pointed out, replies are becoming like chat. In addition, as someone also said, people are posting silly statements regarding what they are doing at the moment. Unless your diving off the Grand Canyon :eek:, I don't really care. :D

Finally, Facebook has a tendency to ruin one's image. Statements are blown out of proportion, and you can really make people angry :mad: in your local community. Believe me. The preachy political and religious stuff never stops. :rolleyes:

7. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

I really hate when people do that. I have seen that a lot on Facebook. Why would you want to have a conversation that everyone can see? To me, that just doesn't make a lot of sense. Most of the time that I see this happen its people who are fighting. I don't know why people like to fight on Facebook, but for some strange reason they do. Plus, if you comment on a post where people just keep talking, then you keep getting the notifications. It's really annoying, and I wish that people would stop doing it!