1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Facebook's Popularity

Discussion in 'Facebook' started by Sly14Cat, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Sly14Cat New Member

At first Facebook was quite the network, it was very popular and set quite well with the younger crowd. As time goes on though, Facebook seems to be loosing it's "cool" and just generally becoming less popular. Especially as the older ones catch onto the networking site, the users have moved over to Twitter, Instagram, and just about anywhere else. Do you think Facebook will have problems in the near future as a result of this?

Arieanah Bennett likes this.
  2. tmgenterprises New Member

I really haven't seen Facebook becoming less popular, at least not with the average people. Are you seeing this within a certain group, such as internet marketers, or across your entire Facebook network?

3. Billy New Member

I think what is happening is that when younger kids first joined Facebook they did so, so that they could post pictures of themselves and socialize with their friends, but then the mothers and fathers joined as well, partly because they wanted to keep an eye on their kids. Since the kids don't like to be on a site where their parents can spy on them, they want to move to another site where they can just be with their friends.

4. Clcharms New Member

Though Facebook's popularity is on a slight decline, I can't see it becoming completely unused for at least the next 10 through 15 years. I prefer other social media sites over Facebook but because it helps me to keep in contact with my older relatives who most likely will not get a Instagram or Twitter, I plan to keep my account on Facebook for awhile. Moreover, many sites all users to register and login via Facebook which is a huge convenience.

5. Billy New Member

I think it really depends on the age group you're in. For me, Facebook is fine, I don't really care about social networks, and Facebook helps to keep me in touch with the people that I want to be in contact with, but for teenagers, they want to be everywhere, all at once.

6. cbrigges New Member

I never liked Facebook at all, because problems and arguments are all I would see. But then it did something for me that would change my life forever. At the age of 4 I was seperated from my mom and my siblings for reasons I am still working on finding out. And just recently, my wife found my sibling on Facebook of all places. And even though I have been reconnected with my lost family after 30 years, I have to say....Thank You Facebook, and thank you social media for helping me find my family. I will never doubt social media again.

7. Converse Active Member

Terrific. Like you, there is much that I hate about Facebook, and I don't spend as much time there as I once did, but I have been in touch with people whom I would never have heard from again if not for Facebook, including former students, people I've worked with at different jobs, people who had moved away from my hometown even before I did, and relatives who have been disbursed throughout the world. It's interesting getting to know people who I used to work with because we seldom discussed things like politics at work, and now we're talking about all sorts of things.

cbrigges likes this.
  8. cbrigges New Member

It's nice to see that i'm not the only one who feels this way about Facebook.

9. CyberGal New Member

I don't think FaceBook is going anywhere. It still seems quite popular. I think that younger kids are going elsewhere because FaceBook is so strict with them but otherwise FaceBook still seems quite popular.

10. Billy New Member

I've actually found friends that I was in high school with and have continued the relationship. When I first got on FB, just like everyone else I got a ton of friend requests from people who I went to high school with, but was never really friends with, and after some time, I deleted them, because I like to have a close knit of friends on my friends list. But one friend that I had in high school, I ended up looking up years ago, and we rekindled our friendship. She basically got married and moved away at the time.

11. SadieMarie New Member

I think with the new site Tsu out there Facebook will eventually die off. Facebook will more then likely become the next Myspace. And for good reason. Who in their right mind would want to post their content for free, making the site owners rich when they can get paid to post on Tsu? It makes no sense. Ever since Tsu came out I rarely use Facebook anymore.

12. toradrake Member

Unlike MySpace, which Facebook obliterated when it hit the net, Facebook is constantly looking for ways to improve. Twitter and Instagram are advancing, but more people are set up to use Facebook then these other mediums. So in my opinion Facebook is in no danger of losing its use, but it will in time have a pretty big competitor to contend with.

13. CyberGal New Member

FaceBook definitely does have a way of bringing people a little closer. I know that I was able to find out about my Aunt dying and thus be able to make it back in time to grieve with my cousins whom I hadn't seen in years before it was too later. This rekindled some relationships for a while before they decided they didn't want to persue them any more, oh well. I've also connected with some high school friends but never really chatted with them again and a friend that I was best friends with when I had my first apartment but she's changed to the point that the relationship didn't work anymore. So there are good and bad points to it.

14. Kamarsun1 New Member

I think Facebook will still be around, but I think they better start looking at making some changes before the other sites start catching up to them. I'm sure some changes are coming, we might even see some merging of social media sites, anything is possible.

15. CyberGal New Member

They just sent out an email last night about changes they're making in their policies. I feel like every time they send out this type of an email they're about to make some type of a change, hopefully the changes they do make will be good. I know that there have been several sites like this that have gone defunct because they didn't keep up with the time. For instance, whatever happened to MySpace? I feel like everyone migrated away from there and over to FaceBook. I think you're right Kamarsun that if FaceBook doesn't do something, they'll be next in line for this to happen to them as well unfortunately.

16. Kamarsun1 New Member

Myspace was the first ones to bring social media to the forefront, but I think myspace was setup from the start to fail. The main issue was giving the user to much control on the back end. They must of known that wasn't gonna end well.

17. toradrake Member

When Facebook came on the scene, they over took the net like a storm. People gravitated to it like magnets and Myspace lost its following. Facebook offered users what they were looking for, a place to keep in connection while being user friendly and customizable. Now other social media sites such as Instagram and Twitter are starting to catch up. Transforming their sites into more aesthetically friendly sites, they also offer easier use through cellphones then Facebook (ever tried the Facebook app... it sucks). This is where Facebook is starting to fall behind. If Facebook wishes to remain in the top position they need to become easier and more reliable on the cellphone market as well as find more inventive ways to keep the people engaged. The Facebook games and such seem to be the most popular thing on Facebook right now, so concentrating in that area would also help.

18. Kamarsun1 New Member

I agree the games are very popular, but I find them a bit boring. They could use a overhaul on the graphics. As long as Facebook can adjust they should be fine. I have noticed that more older people in general are starting to finally jump into the Facebook world. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

19. CyberGal New Member

I honestly don't use the app but have used Twitter's in the past and found it relatively easy to use. Of course that was a few years ago now and so I'm assuming it's gotten even better since then. As for the games, I find them boring. I did get "addicted" to the farm game a few years back but since then haven't found anything to my liking and you're talking to someone who enjoys games like Tetris. I don't know, I just think FaceBook needs to be challenged to improve. It's like they know they have the market cornered so they figure "why bother."

20. Kamarsun1 New Member

I agree, Facebook needs some competition. I am wondering just how Facebook was able to corner the market, and not have anyone to compete with?