1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Facebook's Popularity

Discussion in 'Facebook' started by Sly14Cat, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Arieanah Bennett New Member

Arieanah Bennett

Facebook is a site that everyone uses to talk to their friends that maybe they don't see that often. I use mine to see my friends to see what's up with my friends who I don't see anymore because I move. I don't think it need competition. It's just, like a hangout spot.

2. Scorp Member

Scorp

Like most people here mentioned, the strength of Facebook is that Everybody and their dog has an account. :p

That's great for keeping in touch with family and friends, or to find long-lost family members and friends, all in 1 place.

No other network has that strength as Facebook does. And even if, say, Twitter had that strength. You would still need to get off of Twitter and go onto some other platform in order to actually talk to your friends/relatives. I mean, I think we can all agree that the messaging system Twitter has in place is not the ideal for chatting with people.

But on Facebook you have the live-chat, you even have video calling. It works, it's fast, you won't run into many problems with it...

On the other hand, as some of you have mentioned, it's the same old story of young people dropping what the old people are doing, and the old people trying to keep their youth, I guess. haha

But really, think of it like this. If you had a Facebook account once upon a time with all of your friends on there. And you post a little inappropriate video, or picture, or status, something that you'd rather your mom or grandmom not see, but you want your friends to see. And then later on your mom and grandmom created accounts, you can't Not accept their friend requests. They'll bug you about it until the end of days :p

So you accept them. And then there comes a time where you want to share something a friend posted, but then you think to yourself, "I don't want my mom to see me sharing this. Hmm, maybe I'll go over to Instagram, most of my friends are there too." And then you do that...

See what I'm saying? :)

3. Converse Active Member

Converse

This is all true, but an advantage that Facebook has is that most of those who go elsewhere don't really leave Facebook; rather, they just find another place to talk about other matters. In other words, the kids who are uncomfortable posting what they'd like to post on a network that includes their parents, grandparents, aunts, and uncles, still keep their Facebook accounts, although they may spend much of their time elsewhere.

The larger problem for Facebook, I think, is that recent changes that they've made have made it harder for people to keep up with friends and family members on Facebook without actually visiting each of their pages each day. Businesses too, are finding that their Facebook page no longer has the reach that it once had. I know that I have had a few clients who, a couple of years ago, thought that all they needed was a Facebook page.

From a business standpoint, this doesn't necessarily spell the end of Facebook but it does open opportunities for others.

Scorp likes this.
  4. Webben New Member

Webben

Some really warming stories about finding 'lost' family and friends through facebook here. These things occur quite frequently, many people seem to be finding old friends and such through facebook. I think that's one the beauties of the site, because it is able to connect a huge amount of people from all across the globe. In addition, it provides a good platform to keep up communication with friends for free through messenger or posting. There are definitely more features of facebook that add to its attractiveness of keeping people connected. I think now that facebook has such a huge user base, it will be difficult for another social media platform to rise as almost everyone is using facebook currently. That is assuming that facebook continues to improve on its features though.

5. tasha New Member

tasha

I have to say that lately I am very bored with facebook and social media sites are becoming a little too time consuming for my liking. I enjoy meeting up with real friends and talking to them on the phone but this posting bull and pictures of absolute garbage all day is a little annoying and I have better things to do with my time. If there was another social media platform I am the first to say that I would not sign up!

6. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

I think that the popularity has gone down for Facebook most definitely. Many people are now moving over to Twitter and Instagram like you said. Facebook is kind of like Myspace now, where many people don't' use it. I know that I don't use my Facebook nearly as much as I used to. I think that is the same for a lot of people. For all we know there could be another Facebook/Myspace that will be coming. I honestly think more people would join that. I think that many people just like whatever is new to them. I just think that Facebook is so filled with drama and that's why people don't use it much. I know that mine was full with drama and it was annoying. I like Instagram because when I log on I know that I won't have to see that. So, I use Instagram more than anything. Then, next I use Twitter. There is still a lot of drama though, and I feel like I don't use Twitter as much because so many people just use it to say harsh things about other people. I hate when people do that because honestly no one cares who you hate this week.