1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

FB Groups

Discussion in 'Facebook' started by Rainman, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Rainman New Member

Rainman

Some self-proclaimed social networking gurus declare that unless you join a relevant groups on Facebook you'll find it quite hard to find people who'd like your fan page, visit your site, etc. According to them [said gurus] interacting with people in such groups creates relationships and . . . according to them, that's what matters most.

If people like you as an individual first they might be interested in finding out more about you which would get them exactly where you want them — on your website or fan page where you can market to them.

What do you guys think? Are FB groups overrated?

2. Sly14Cat New Member

Sly14Cat

Although I don't have much experience with Facebook Groups for advertising, I know they're a pretty good way to get people who like the same thing together. I was in two, one about hacking/programming and the other about Linux. They seemed to have a bit of a community going on there. For one to advertise, they'll probably want to become a part of relevant communities and eventually they'll gain status and potentially customers (and most certainly likes).

3. Webben New Member

Webben

I'm in the same boat as Sly14Cat, without too much experience with Facebook groups for advertising. My experience with Facebook groups is mainly to do with university group projects, which I have found to be an excellent way to organize the group and update revisions for the project. Nonetheless they are a great way of grouping together like-minded people on a particular subject or topic. This can then expand into learning from each member in the group through sharing resources, knowledge and answering questions. However, that process seems to be quite tedious, having to first interact with individual members of a group. Also, what proportion of people would actually follow up to someone's fan page or website?
    Like I said earlier, my exposure to advertising through Facebook groups is limited, although it sounds like a long and possibly tedious process.

4. CyberGal New Member

CyberGal

I tried setting up a FaceBook fan page when I opened a new business earlier this year. I personally found them to be a whole lot more restrictive in what they allowed me to do. I don't know if it's maybe because I was so used to using a regular FaceBook account that I just couldn't wrap my mind around this new setup or what. I gave up though because I just felt that there was way too big of a learning curve. I haven't found it difficult to promote myself with a normal account but can't honestly say if I'd have seen more traffic if I would have stuck it out.

5. Billy New Member

Billy

I've heard of people having a lot of success with this. They'll post to other FB groups, and because of their obvious knowledge on the topic, others who saw their helpful post will investigate their page or site, to see what else they have to offer. This can be one of the quickest ways to get traffic.

6. xTinx New Member

xTinx

Not really, but you can use them thoroughly for your social media marketing. My former company adopts the strategy of creating a personal account in addition to an existing business page and using it to promote products or share helpful information to FB groups that fall under our target market.

7. Scorp Member

Scorp

Honestly, even though I do social media marketing, groups are the one thing on Facebook I haven't really used much.

I've used them some time ago to get friends to a Facebook account I have, those "Addme" type groups.

Actually, I believe that Groups can be Really beneficial, especially if you have your own group/s with a lot of members. But even without, just spamming or actually participating in existing groups can be very beneficial too.

There's a method of making money with facebook groups, where you take an affiliate link (amazon, ebay, etc) and then fire up a program that autoposts to groups. People in those groups see your post, click on it, and you can make money. And it doesn't just have to be affiliate marketing, it can be CPA, anything, you can promote your website like that.

Facebook groups are something I plan on using more, as I believe there's a lot of potential with them. However, I wouldn't really bother with new/small groups. I'd rather post in a group that has 10,000 members than one with 100 members, and I think it's pretty clear why. More traffic, more potential clicks, more potential money...

8. Aree Wongwanlee New Member

Aree Wongwanlee

Facebook groups, by themselves, as a concept, are not over-rated. What's over-rated is the assumption that certain groups give you more bang for your money, so to say. From my personal experience, I found that smaller groups are not any less useful or valuable than bigger groups. It's more a matter of how you click with the members of your group. For example, I am a member of a group of nearly 8000 people and I have a presence there. I am also a member of a group that numbers in the tens of thousands but I am a nonetity there.

9. rga1999 New Member

rga1999

I believe this to be true. I have sold a lot on Ebay, and make minimal margins. Man I joined a few groups on Facebook, and started posting and made more money in 1 month there than I did in a year on Ebay Plus the majority of the people shared a post of mine with all their friends.

10. MsCalamityJane New Member

MsCalamityJane

I created a "page" and it does generate a ton of traffic to the corresponding website that is listed on it. It is time consuming, but if you interact with pages similar to yours, they are usually quick to share your posts on their pages if you do the same. I feel like it is worth the time and setting up scheduled postings helps a ton. Running a "group" seems a little more daunting, but I join as many that are related to my topic as possible in order to "friend" individuals that I then invite to "like" my "page." Round and round....

11. LitoLawless New Member

LitoLawless

I think Facebook pages still have some form of relevance. I wouldn't say that interacting with them would automatically help you find like-minded people. For the most part, people on Facebook barely respond to people they don't already know. I'm not saying that it's a completely bad idea that the gurus have, just not a sound one.

12. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

I mean I think that would be a good way to start up if you have a business or something else you want to promote. It's hard to say how much you will get from that though. It's how to say how many people will use them though. You may not get many people if you don't have something that people are interested in. If you have a good amount of people in the group, then it will be good. I just don't know how many people actually search for those groups anymore.