1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Free Domain Names

Discussion in 'Domains' started by Scorp, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Scorp Member

Scorp

Hey guys.

The other day I wanted to create a website on my hosting which allows me to create as many websites as I want, but I didn't want to spend any money, because what I actually wanted was just a wordpress site to play with some plugins and test some themes and things I have.

Because I didn't want to play and test things on my main .com site.

So I looked for getting a free domain name, but which isn't a "mysite.subdomain.com," I wanted a proper domain name, "mysite.com, or .net, or .somethingelse"

Anyway, I ended up finding something, and there are a few extensions you can choose from.

http://www.freenom.com/en/index.html

It was pretty easy to register a domain name, and I got my site up and running :)

Hope you like it.

Also, if you have anything to add as far as getting a free domain name goes, please do :)

2. jblogger New Member

jblogger

Wow I didn't know about that site. Thanks for the tip. The domains are .TK, .ML, .CF and .GA. The first one is from Tokelau, a territory of New Zeland and the other three are of African countries.

According to some reviews of those domain names from http://www.getfreedomain.name those domains are scams and once your site starts getting traffic they park the domain with advertisement so I would proceed with caution.

3. toradrake Member

toradrake

I was not aware that there were sites that give out free domain names. That is interesting. Of course those TDL's would not work for me, its good information to know. Thanks Scorp.

4. Scorp Member

Scorp

Yeah, I've read something similar about them too.

So I wouldn't really recommend them for any serious project/website. However, for my testing purposes it's great. And when I'm done with testing, I'll turn it into some site that offers some type of services, like social media services or something, and so there won't be much content on the site for it to bring a lot of traffic, neither do I plan on advertising/promoting the site much to reach the point where I get a lot of traffic and lose the domain...

Although, I have read about people who claim that they have been having a .tk domain for years and are getting decent traffic, and have never had any issues.

We'll see what happens, but again, I recommend against using any free domain or free hosting for any really serious project.

5. jblogger New Member

jblogger

@Scorp About 10 years ago I had a free .TK domain and I used it for about two years driving a significant amound of traffic to it without having any issues. I stopped using that domain because dot.tk (the domain registrar) made a change to free .TK domains where they no longer gave access to the nameserver configurations and .TK worked just as redirection, loading the content of the sites inside an HTML frame. I don't know if that's still the case but I just didn't see any point on keeping using a domain with such restrictions.

I couldn't agree any more with that. For any serious project paid domain and hosting is the way to go.

6. simplecan New Member

simplecan

Especially that, if the project is serious, well. I don't want to sound prejudiced, but with the amount of scams coming from African countries, who could really trust this for a moment?
    Though yes for a short testing or temporary side project, it is better than to have a mysite/wix/wordpress etc. Or actually, even better than those co.vu or co.nr or biz.ly -- I to this day have no idea what the "co" of all those co.something domains could mean.

7. Aree Wongwanlee New Member

Aree Wongwanlee

For testing purposes? Why even get a domain name? If all you wanted to do is test out some plugins and themes, just make a sub-directory in your main site and call it something like, say, Test Lab. Install Wordpress into Test Lab and you can log into it with yourdomainname/testlab. Done. That's what I did to test things out.

8. Scorp Member

Scorp

@jblogger Well, I'm not sure about that. I know that I had to put my hostgator hostname and IP when registering my domain. So, I don't know if that tells you anything about the situation...

@Aree Wongwanlee Well, when I first thought about where would I test all the plugins I have, I first thought of creating a subdomain on my existing site. However, I felt uncomfortable with tying that test site with my main site in any way. And then I thought to myself, why not get a free domain, get the experience in setting that whole thing up. But then after I'm done testing, what will I do with the subdomain? So I thought a free domain will get indexed and whatnot by the time I do my testing and then decide to use it for anything, and so I got that.

I mean, I'll end up making something out of this site/domain. Nothing serious, but I'll do something with it related to social media probably. That's how I picked the name of the domain, because of what I have in mind to do with it at the end of the day - which is selling social media services, probably...

9. Grumpy New Member

Grumpy

Free domains look tatty and aren't a good choice if you want to show yourself as a reputable and in-it-for-the-long-run site. To me, there's nothing more unappealing than coming across a website or forum using a .tk domain, or any other free domain name extension for that matter. Even less appealing are sites that use free hosting and use subdomain names, such as mysite.moonfruit.com or anything similar to that. I just hate it.

If you're serious about building a website and wanting to go places with it, then the least you can do is invest the very small few dollars it takes to register a domain name and get a proper name for your website.

10. Scorp Member

Scorp

I agree with you, I do. However, I believe that we must keep in mind that most people aren't into making money online, aren't big on internet things at all, so a lot of people won't differentiate between a domain, a sub-domain, a free domain, a paid domain, etc.

Sure, most people will prefer a .com domain over anything else, but at the end of the day I remember a time when I didn't even look at the URL in the address bar when I visit sites most of the time, so for a lot of people it won't play a role at all, and it will just come down to design and content quality.

It's the same as when some people say that they can spot a Facebook Page with fake likes from a mile away. And I say, sure, you can, but most people can't. In fact, I believe that most people have no idea that buying facebook likes even exists or is as actual as it is, so they won't pay any attention to that or know that your page bought/got fake likes.

We must always keep in mind, that we're all different, and that most people online aren't trying to make money or market, they're just here, passing their time looking for educational/interesting/funny things to see/read.

11. MR. HTML New Member

MR. HTML

Hmm... This should come in handy if I want to create a simple, test site. I have been using CU.CC but this is shorter and looks more professional. However I would be careful when using that site for anything important, because nothing is for free, and you would defiantly regret it if your medium to large site suddenly went down with no hope of getting your domain back due the fact that you do not actually "own" the domain. :(

12. xTinx New Member

xTinx

When something's too good to be true, you have to think twice before jumping the gun. What do these people get if they simply offer free domains? There has to be something in exchange. Either there's something else you need to purchase first or you have to bear with numerous advertisements on your site as someone mentioned above.

13. Scorp Member

Scorp

Yeah, I've read about that before that if you get a free domain or hosting on some places that they put advertisments on your site that you can't do anything to remove unless you spend some money.

However, just to say, I've registered a .tk domain using the site I mentioned in the original post, and I didn't have to pay anything nor are there any advertisments or other unwanted things on my site. Just thought I'd mention it...

14. PandaDZN New Member

PandaDZN

I've used FreeNom and I'm using it right now for my portfolio website until I get a domain. The .tk, .ga, .cf and .ml extensions aren't the best to be honest. They look very sketchy and looks like the owner is not very professional. If you're a university student from United States, Canada or Australia, you're eligible for a free .me domain by Namecheap sponsored by domain.me. If you don't want to publicize your content, you can have something called XAMP or WAMP which are essentially software that will allow you to host a local website, meaning it will allow you to host your website files on your network/router.

15. Converse Active Member

Converse

The .me extensions are popular here in Maine too, since it is also the state abbreviation.

16. PandaDZN New Member

PandaDZN

There's currently a promo right now that allows you to get free .science .xyz. I'll respond with the links as I have to do a little bit of digging.

17. May102014 New Member

May102014

Ironically, free domain names might be catchy and perspicuous to me. I had tried looking for a free domain which I don't need to spend pennies in my pocket. One bad time for me when I tried to google on the internet I had found one but it was just a false and deceptive advertisement. I registered and got free domain name as it reflected on the page but when I almost finished creating my website. It was suddenly a nightmare to me, they asked Credit Card information. Very disappointed. No free at this generation.

18. Shamzblueworld New Member

Shamzblueworld

I've used .tk free domains in the past and I think they are the best ones, as you can register them for forever for free and also you can have the dashboard to have custom nameservers and forwarding options etc I'd recommend it if you in need of a free fix.

19. chasedood New Member

chasedood

I have came across a site the other day that is offering a 100% FREE domain name and hosting for 12 months. You don't even have to provide credit card information or anything. I tested it out and it does work. So make this can help you or anyone else looking.

One.com

20. orocot New Member

orocot

You can go and get a free domain name but can I ask, you mentioned you had a main site with a .com, so why not just create a sub-domain from that to use for testing? So it would be whateveryouchoose.whateveryourdomainnameis.com . On top of this you could also create a .htaccess file and make it so that search engines and the like won't pick it up.

:)