1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Free Domain Names

Discussion in 'Domains' started by Scorp, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Scorp Member

Well, I don't know, I really don't feel comfortable making a testing site as a sub-domain. Like, I'm probably just being too paranoid for no reason, but something jut doesn't feel right with doing that. I feel like that ties that sub-domain to my main site, in some way, and even though it's not being indexed, I still just don't feel comfortable with it.

Like, what if I put whatever stupidity on there and somehow, somewhere, someone lands on my subdomain, and then sees that that's an extension of my main site, and, meh, I just don't want to do that :D

2. Jason76 Member

.GA might be a good extention for Georgia related stuff, whether from the US state of Georgia or the nation Georgia, but I'm sure the latter has it's own domain.

Actually, free domains are pretty cool. I don't see why people avoid them. Why do people insist on being professional all the time? Sometimes, the domain extention just doesn't matter, so what's the big deal?

3. Scorp Member

Well, to my surprise, it seems that the .GA domains are from Gabon. I had no idea...

The problem with Free domains is the same as with Free blogs, Free hosting, Free food, Free medical care, Free love, Free anything - it can be taken away at any time, and there's nothing you can do about it whatsoever!

Wow, don't I sound wise right there :D

Seriously though, that's just the way it is. Now, if you're just playing around you probably won't care, but imagine making a serious site, spending weeks upon weeks on it to create it, perfect it, promote it, even spending money on promotion, and then one day you wake up and poof, your site is gone (whether it's your free domain name, free hosting, free blog, or whatever). That's not very safe, and I think nobody should every build any sort of site/business on such unsolid ground.

4. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

Wow, I didn't know that they had anything like that out there! I always thought that you had to pay for your own domain name. It's great that there is a place where you are able to get one for free. This might be something that I would have to check out. Right now I have a blog with WordPress, that I'm pretty happy with. I'm just starting my blogging journey. So, I'm going to have to make sure that I keep this in mind. Never know when I'll have to get a real domain name.

5. Scorp Member

If and when it comes time for you to buy/get a domain name, keep in mind that if it's a Serious project, then Buy a domain name, and go for either a .com, a .net or a .org domain. They are the most trusted by people, and by the search engines.

These free domains you can use for side-projects, testing, experimental stuff.

As I said before, you get something for free, you can lose it any day, and there's nothing you can do about it.

6. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

That's true. I didn't even think about that. I would hate to lose all the hard work that I had put into that site. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I know when the time comes that I will get my domain name. I will have no problem buying it, but for right now this is just easier. I know that it takes time to get a following to your site.

Scorp likes this.
  7. Scorp Member

Aahh, but there's a problem with using a free site, say, danielle.tk, and then eventually switching to danielle.com.

The problem are all the backlinks you will have built will basically become useless now, and won't bring you any more traffic or SEO benefits. I mean, you can do some redirection stuff where danielle.tk redirects to danielle.com, and then you will keep your traffic from those links, and you will keep a portion of the SEO benefits (link juice) too.

But if you're gonna start a serious site, buy your real domain from the get-go, don't start with a free one thinking you can switch at a later date. I mean, you can get a doman for like $15 a year, and that's nothing. I mean, if you can't afford $15 a year you've got bigger things to worry about than what domain to use :D haha

8. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

I mean I can totally afford $15 a year. The only thing that I have been worried about is not being able to get people to my site. Right now, I don't know what I should be writing about. I thought that I knew what I wanted to talk about, but now I don't. I feel like there are so many different things out there that I could talk about. I have a hard time sticking to one thing. I have a lot of things that I am passionate about that I could write on.

9. Scorp Member

Well, you have to make a decision. You can either go for a micro-niche site, or a multi-niche site.

Niche = shoes
    Multi-Niche = clothes (including shoes, and skirts, and jackets, and everything clothes-related)

And this is a big cliche, but you're better off writing about stuff you're passionate about and have knowledge in. Writing strictly for the money is cool, I applaud anything that makes cash, but you'll run out of will and get lazy if you don't care about what you're writing about.

danielle davidson likes this.
  10. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

I'm sure that I would go more towards the Multi-niche for my site. I think that would be the best because then I would be able to talk about a couple different things. I would want to only write about stuff that I knew a lot about. Once you start getting more people to your site you don't know who will come on and try to correct you. So, I wouldn't want to have information on there that is false. It is cool being able to make money from what you love being able to do. Right now I love being able to make money online even though it isn't a lot, it is still fun.

Scorp likes this.