1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Google Losing Their Touch?

Discussion in 'Search Engines' started by Rainman, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Rainman New Member

Rainman

Over the past few days, I've been using Google for a few obscure queries but the search results Google returned were less than impressive.

I switched to Bing and though I didn't get exactly what I was looking for the search results were somewhat more relevant. Could it be that Bing has improved their search algorithms to the point where they can rival and even surpass the quality of search results they return [for users search queries]?

Did all the fancy updates screw up Google?

2. Converse Active Member

Converse

I get better results from Bing.

3. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

I took the BingItOn test a while back and found that I got better results from Google. Out of the 5 searches, I liked Google's result better on 4 of them. So it was 4/5 in favor of Google.

This depends highly on what I'm searching though I guess. If I had different interests and searched different things than I might get better results from Bing.

I think I'll take the BingItOn test again and see what I get. Bing might have improved their algorithm. Last time I took it was several months ago.

4. Converse Active Member

Converse

I've taken the "Bing it On" test several times, and the results are about even. For my real-life searches, like for work, I get better results from Bing. Still, if I am searching for topics for a niche category, and I don't find enough in Bing, sometimes I can find another good site or two through Google, so I use both. I just start with Bing.

5. toradrake Member

toradrake

Very rarely do I use Google anymore. I use Bing primarily, but occasionally I will use the AVG search engine that came with my virus protection program. It works very well also. I like the way it works. Not sure where they get their results from, haven't bothered to check... lol. Other then that, I will head into a directory for things.

6. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

Just curious. Did you find this forum via a directory or search engine?

7. xTinx New Member

xTinx

I don't know if you can actually accuse Google of screwing because at the end of the day, we're still at its mercy SEO-wise. Bing's putting up a good fight and though Google may feel just a tad bit threatened, it's still playing the game at its own pace.

8. toradrake Member

toradrake

Both

Absolutely. In the end, Google is still on top of the world and so we little designers have to abide by their standards if we are going to survive. Its a cruel reality but it is what it is. I am praying the Bing knocks them off their throne, but then we take the risk that Bings head will get too big and they will end up like Google.

9. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

I just did a bunch of searches with both Google and Bing. To my surprise I found that the OP is right. Bing's search results are twice as good as Google's. I mean like a lot better. Bing has definitely improved their algorithm. Not only that but I think Google has worsened the algorithm they use. The results I'm getting from Google now aren't as good as they used to be. I wonder why they changed their alg?

10. Converse Active Member

Converse

Even before I found that I liked Bing, I had noticed that Google's results had gotten worse. They seem to give preference to sites that consist of scraped data, and that makes little sense to me.

11. toradrake Member

toradrake

Yeah! @KenBrace ... Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated! LOL

Seriously though, Google has been losing their spark for some time. Not only are their search results become "prioritized" as I like to call it, but their engine is filled with a lot of junk. Many of the sites that are in Google have not been updated since 2000. Some are dead links. I has not gotten so bad that the general public is noticing much yet ... but designers/marketers can. It is only a matter of time before the public sees the problem and move elsewhere also.

12. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

This is definitely one thing that has annoyed me. They don't update a lot of links. They just keep them there and it really clogs up the search results with junk.

I can't say as to whether or not Bing/Yahoo does the same thing though. I haven't used either of them for long enough to know.

13. toradrake Member

toradrake

I think that all search engines have a lot of dead links, but Google's is infested with it.

14. xTinx New Member

xTinx

I have observed that SEO activities from various websites are starting to take a toll on Google. When I make a lot of searches in a single day, the search engine would prevent me from searching further than I already have, telling me that I've already had way too many search queries. When your job involves writing and research, you can't very well help it, now can you? Perhaps in the future Bing will take over Google but we never know when that would happen. At present, Google's monopoly lies in the fact that it has Blogger, Webmaster Tool, Analytics, AdWords, AdSense and Google Plus in its web marketing arsenal.

15. lordrenly New Member

lordrenly

Google has been more relevant to me than Bing and that is why I still use Google as my preferred search engine even right now. I notice that, as you said, sometimes I would find searches that are not relevant but the results will not improve even when I switched to Bing so I assume it was just bad search term.

I never took the Bingiton test. It is quite interesting. I think I will try it soon.

16. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

When I took the BingItOn test a few months back Google won. However things may have changed since then. I think I'm going to go retake it now and see what I get.

BTW let us know who wins when you take the test. :)

EDIT: I just took the test and Bing won 3 : 2.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  17. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

I mean it could be possible that Bing is starting to up their game. I have heard that they now have rewards so that they can attract more people to come to their search engine and use them. To me, it just seems like a poor tactic because they don't have enough people using their service. I have always been a big fan of Google. It's the only place that I use when I have to search for something. I usually pretty happy with the results that they come up with, but that's just me.