1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

How did you learn about SEO?

Discussion in 'Search Engines' started by greatnate, Oct 30, 2014.

1. greatnate New Member

greatnate

For me it was a bit of trial and error before I had a workshop at my job several years ago. It really opened my eyes on the whole process. How did you learn? Maybe we could get a good thread going on resources. I feel like I only know about the tip of the iceberg.

2. Billy New Member

Billy

When I first started building blogs I had no idea what I was doing. The only way that I knew how to get traffic was through article directories. But then one day I was searching for something on Google and I came across a thread from a SEO forum and it opened up my eyes to a new way (for me) to get traffic.

3. Converse Active Member

Converse

I've started a few blogs over the years, but I don't have the staying power. Most of those who are successful are those who are able to keep at it, and I generally lose interest and go on to something else.

4. Shan Barton New Member

Shan Barton

I learned about it when I was editing an article for a client some years back. The article was about: How SEO strategies play a role in search engine rankings. It got me thinking a lot about the whole concept of how sites are ranked. I though it was just a randon thing that happens. I gained more interest and visited sites where website and blog owners discussed about it and used the knowledge I gained to optimize my blog. I even regsitered for numerous online training programs to fine-tune my SEO skills which I now use to optimize articles for clients as part of my web content development services.

5. toradrake Member

toradrake

I was taught by my Supervisor when I worked in web design and marketing, but each search engine has a page that talks about SEO and what they are looking for on a site. There are also tutorials throughout the net on the subject and tools that will check your site for you and make suggestions to let you know what to correct.

6. logitech74 New Member

logitech74

I learned a lot just by trail and error. I mean, I had some money saved up and I was introduced to this world and I noticed that the best stuff is the stuff that no one will share so I tried a few methods, added some twists and now, I'm learning on my own. I think that's the best way to learn, although it takes time.

7. jdroc New Member

jdroc

Learning on my own. I try it, well, the ones I can afford, then if it works then I use it. If it doesn't I don't use it. Some methods take so long just to see results I give up. However, I do know some of the things people don't say work anymore is bull. I think it's too many people buying into the crap Matt Cutts and google are selling. I'm starting to believe that if google is speaking out against it, then it probably works. I'm more into learning about PPC and things of that nature. If the main objective of a website is to make money, then you shouldn't wait on traffic from the SE's. Using money to make money is a tried and true method. I just think once the learning curve is in your favor with PPC, one should be able to make money consistently without traffic from google. It's all a game. No matter how hard they try to make it, you can still win. If another human made the game, you can beat it. Of course you have to learn the language and the objective of the game first. In google's case, they still have to make money for shareholders.

logitech74 likes this.
  8. calebmelvern New Member

calebmelvern

I first learned about SEO when I did a writing gig for a client three or four years ago. He asked to repeat some terms multiple times in the article. I wondered, "What is that all about?" That sparked the beginning of my IM career. Like most, I studied the concepts myself because clients usually just focus on keywords. Eventually, I worked with clients who let me handle most of the off-page SEO of his sites. This experience has been invaluable in my understanding of SEO.

9. xTinx New Member

xTinx

It was some years ago when I started work on a BPO company. The management simply wanted a writer who was trainable and willing to learn (experience not necessary). That served as my window to the world of SEO. My main tasks included writing content (every article had to have at least 2 percent keyword density). We adopted this pyramid structure whereby the main site was pushed upward by money sites (keyword-rich domain owned by the company), press releases, article submission sites, directories, social bookmarks and other external links. Content was distributed through various channels. From there, I began to handle link building and data mining.

10. Billy New Member

Billy

I totally agree. If you read some of the blogs out there you will realize that most of the information is just regurgitated from other blogs. The one problem is, that testing requires time. You can set something up and not be able to see what effects it does or doesn't have for a month or two. Sometimes I'll just set up multiple projects to help deal with this.

11. Wulfman New Member

Wulfman

I wrote freelance at oDesk. It is a platform that allows you to showcase your talents and skills in a nice profile and then apply for projects from thousands of prospective clients. During my time making tweaks to my profile I viewed other freelance writer profiles to see where I stand skill wise. A lot of these writers talked about SEO optimization. I then proceeded to research about it and realized how important it is not only to write an article but take necessary steps to bring viewers from across the web to read it. Of course nothing better than having your article in the top 20 SERP of Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc. While I will not grossly change my writing to conform to all SEO standards, I will do simple things such as mentioning the keyword several times during a piece, interlinking old articles I wrote, and including videos/images if applicable.

12. SimplySidy Member

SimplySidy

In 2006 November, I received a call from a friend who used to work for an Australian Organization and he told me that they were hiring people who were aware of Website Building and Internet Marketing. I landed up for the Interview and this was when I was told what SEO is all about. Prior to that I had no idea about it.

I did pursue the SEO thing along with Internet Marketing for around 7-8 months after which I was asked to upgrade to Wordpress Themes and PHP. I always loved to code and so this moved me from SEO and Marketing to Programming. Earlier, it was only HTML and some CSS.

I did have a few blogs but I never focused on SEO and a couple of them did well because they (readers) said, they liked my style of writing. Incoming Traffic was quite okay on these two blogs - around 500 of comments a month - and that kept me happy. Unfortunately, the two were on free platforms and I dont know why they pulled them off-line.

13. midnightblur New Member

midnightblur

I first joined some courses about SEO to learn the basic first. I think basic knowledge is most important so you shouldn't just read on Internet. Then I start doing some SEO project and learn from Internet. Find some expert to follow and make relationship, I can ask them if have any problem

14. Billy New Member

Billy

I did this as well. I was laid off a few years ago and stumbled onto Digital Point (I haven't been there in years), and I figured that I could make some money to support myself with writing. I found a guy who paid me $3 per 400 words article (I know), and he wanted me to use 2% keyword density. It was a real challenge when you had odd sounding keywords like, "New York best red shoes", or something like that.

15. calebmelvern New Member

calebmelvern

Yeah those were the days. But on second thought, some of my clients still abide by these numbers. 3% keyword density, keyword in first and last paragraphs, etc. It's quite surprising because the SEO game has changed so much yet they still follow the old "rules." In any case, I share what I know and my recommendations. Some are really stubborn, but most are convinced they need to make changes.

16. Billy New Member

Billy

That's one good thing about this industry, in that it's always changing. So even if a client knows SEO, because he was doing it himself a few years ago, his knowledge will be outdated, which is how you can charge the big bucks.

17. toradrake Member

toradrake

It is also the biggest pain in the butt. With that constant change, there is constant twiking to keep up with that change to ensure your site(s) stay up to date with the times.

I guess your right though about it being a good thing because users are also changing. Becoming more knowledgeable and sophisticated where the internet is concerned. This keeps us on our toes and constantly moving forward to ensure that we are changing with them. LOL

18. calebmelvern New Member

calebmelvern

It can be a pain, but it also keeps things interesting. If you think about it, the basics haven't changed much at all. Content is still important. Backlinks are still a major factor in ranking. Etc.

19. Scorp Member

Scorp

Well, SEO is a part of making money online, and that's how/why I learned about it.

I mean, I guess I see the most potential to making money on the internet with having your own successful website/s.

And the reason is, say you have a highly successful Facebook page, and Twitter page, and Youtube account. And you have a lot of likes/followers/subscribers, and you're posting ads and doing whatever you're doing and making money, and that's cool. But you always have in the back of your mind the fact that all of those are Free! And they can be deleted any time without even providing you an explanation as to why it happened. The same with forums, have a few authoritative accounts, big accounts that you sell things with and get work through. And then one day you get into some argument with a MOD or whatever, and they delete your account.

If you're going to build a Business that will remain and that you have Full Control over, that will be a website of your own, period. And SEO plays a Major role in that. Plus it's interesting, to me at least. And also, it's not as difficult as they make it to be. Sure, it's not easy, but you break it down - On-site SEO, Off-Site SEO. Backlinks - nofollow, dofollow, high/low quality. Meta descriptions, alt + title tags, H tags, etc. You learn it, if you want to learn it :)

Converse likes this.
  20. Aree Wongwanlee New Member

Aree Wongwanlee

I learned my SEO by trial and error and I think it's the best way to learn about it.

You see, SEO is about your site and your content and you are the best person to know what's on your site and what's in your content. SEO guides only give you a general idea about what to do. So you still have to try it yourself to find out whether it works for you. Back to trial and error.