1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Interesting Trick

Discussion in 'Domains' started by toradrake, Jan 1, 2015.

1. toradrake Member

I actually talked to a guy about this and it makes some sense but at the same time seems a bit shady. If you have a website you are about to put up and you are looking for a domain name... look for a misspelling of your competitors name. For instance, lets say you sell cheap shoes... payless is already taken, right.... but what about payles. Sounds funny I know, but in a way it makes sense. I have actually misspelled or did not type something right in a search before and came up with sites similar to what I was looking for (waltmart instead of walmart).

What do you guys think?

rabst likes this.
  2. Converse Active Member

I know that it's done, but I certainly wouldn't build a business around a misspelling. I might buy common misspelling of my own domain name so that I wouldn't lose that traffic, but I'd just redirect it to the right URL.

rabst and SimplySidy like this.
  3. jblogger New Member

I'm with @Converse I don't think it's a good idea to have your business built around a misspelling. I can see how some people could think of it as a good idea because they would get all the traffic of the people who misspells the domain but I don't think it's the most ethic thing to do.

4. SimplySidy Member

Long back when I was beginning to learn and get exposed to the SEO world, my trainers told me that the people could mistype words and it was good to consider them when optimizing a website. I think, this theory was okay for that time when there was no Auto Text Selection feature and people had to type out the entire search keyword. However, today, the search engines have become way too smart. Almost all, allow you to select the right phrase with minimum of typing required. So definitely, this strategy should not work for SEO purposes.

Now, relating to what you talk of, I have seen people type out the domain name and hit enter - in your case it would be payles and enter. Search Engine would be called upon to list and finding payles at the top would be almost impossible. As such, I will not recommend doing this.

Also, think - there are many more people who would believe that on your card, you have "payless" which has been mis-typed as payles. So even without the search engine's involvement, you would be facing issues or at least a few calls on your phone asking for confirmation ;)

rabst likes this.
  5. jblogger New Member

@SimplySidy You are right about that, most time when I misspell something in Google it always shows me the results of the terms spelled correctly. Even if I'm misspelling on purpose. I have to click the link that appears to search for the misspelled terms. What I'm saying here is that it's almost impossible to get ranked for the misspelled term because Google tries its best to present us with the correctly spelled terms first.

There's no point on going for the misspelled domain at all.

6. toradrake Member

It seemed a bit shady to me also. I have a very serious personality flaw called integrity. LOL I just wanted to see what others thought. I have heard so many doing this method, and it does make a lot of sense to a certain degree.... but it is a shady way to gain traffic.

@SimplySidy and @jblogger, your both right about the search engines bringing up correct spellings and search phrase suggestions while you type. Many of them will also give you the results of the correct spelling. I have seen where , for instance, in Google I would type a search term that I misspelled and it would say at the top of the search results "showing results for....." and it would give you the option to look up only results for what you typed or for the correct spelling.

SimplySidy likes this.
  7. Billy New Member

I'm pretty sure that this worked a few years back, but it doesn't work as well anymore because Google has become smarter and can detect what the person is looking for, rather than just give them the results that they typed in the search box, like they did a few years back.

8. orocot New Member

It seems shady but it actually happens quite a lot, someone miss spelling a domain name. If I owned a domain name that could be miss spelled then I would register that domain name as well and redirect traffic to the right domain name. I wouldn't go out and my a miss spelling of a domain name that someone else used and use it myself, it's like your building a business on someone else's success and looks quite cheesy.

9. Bigtime New Member

Not really a good idea, especially if you are looking at a trademarked name. Payles would be one example. There is a thing called a U.D.R.P. (look it up) that you can subject yourself to by doing that. Just my 2 cents :)

How do I know this? I was the subject of one. Although I did win, it cost a ton of money.

10. Alunny Member

Not a bad idea, especially if you know some common mispellings....but I would have them as redirects to the real website. Then again it might make customers feel uncomfortable, like they were hijacked (they were)....so maybe a page that says you're going to see a different site that we think is better (in a non creepy way, which I can't think of right now so good luck ha ha).

If you don't have it as a redirect and it's a real name you could possibly end up in a world of trouble.

11. Jason76 Member

I think at one time there was a "get rich quick" thing which involved this trick. However, probably, search engines have caught on to this trick. For instance, if you type in a misspelling of "payless", then you will get "payless", not the misspelling.

12. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

I have heard of this before, and it can be a good idea. I mean if enough people aren't checking their spelling before submitting the URL then you can make money from it. I'm sure that there is a ton of people who do this. I know that I've run into a bunch of places who just take one letter out of a popular name and then make it their own. While I do think that it's a good idea, I also think that people should try a little harder. I mean it's not fair to payless because then they would be losing out.

13. chinomoreno New Member

Not a good idea for me also. I'm sure there are sites that will show on SERP, and it might get some attention too but search engines have this auto-suggest thing or that auto-correct (not sure if it is the right term), so at some point I don't think it helps.

14. rabst New Member

You're right ... and even if you DO type out the 'wrong' spelling, the results pages (at least with Bing & Google) will have "Did you mean 'the right spelling'?" and the results will be 'the right spelling's results!