1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Is it all okay for a Commercial Site to have a .edu TLD?

Discussion in 'Domains' started by SimplySidy, Nov 4, 2014.

1. SimplySidy Member

SimplySidy

Yesterday, I was discussing a website with a prospect. She is an Teacher by profession and is getting married sometime n Jan 2015. Unfortunately, her hubby is in a different city and as such, she plans to quit her job here and move to the new place after marriage. At her new place, she wants to enjoy the married life and does not want to keep working at schools or other places. Instead, she needs a website to be setup using which she can teach and continue with her Teaching profession.

So far, so good.

Now, the Question we got into last day - What should be the domain's extension? She said, she would like to have a .edu TLD and I said she should have a .com or .co.in extension - depending on the places she expected to get her students.

Personally, I think, it is unethical to have a .edu TLD for a Commercial Site where you are the only Teacher and you plan to integrate Paypal, and other payment options. She is unwilling to go with any other TLD as her logic is - the sites primary and only aim is to allow her to Teach her students.

What are your suggestions on the TLD for her domain ? I agree, my view is quite traditional and her's is about breaking the rules - or is it all okay today to go on with any TLD you like and there will be no issues later?

2. Converse Active Member

Converse

I believe that an .edu extension can only be approved for US post-secondary institutions that are institutionally accredited, and that they are restricted for the entire institution, not specific programs. Although there are allowances for educational institutions outside of the United States, my understanding is that they have to meet the qualifications of a US institution and be institutionally accredited by a recognized national accrediting agency.

SimplySidy likes this.
  3. Sly14Cat New Member

Sly14Cat

That's more of a grey area, although I'd lean on the side of caution and say no. If it's a commercial site, you should probably stick with a non-.edu domain, that's usually saved for the school boards and such, although I've never come across one that uses such a domain. Looking up hte laws would be a better idea, although I believe it's more of a technical thing and you probably could use it if you wanted to.

4. fastreplies Original Member

fastreplies

Original

1. Good luck to register .edu without special licenses given only to Educational Institutions
    2. Even she have any luck to fool ICANN and manages to get .edu, she must have site that
    must meet edu site's content requirement prescribed by ICANN Rules only University or School
    normally capable to comply with.
    3. There is good reason why all these Online Universities or Schools where you can buy your
    "Diploma" cannot have .edu TLD.
    4. She can apply for .school TLD

Other than that... wish her good like trying

:)

fastreplies

SimplySidy and Converse like this.
  5. SimplySidy Member

SimplySidy

Thanks converse, sly14cat and fastreplies for clarifying - and this did help me. After reading out the replies, I realized that my point was not just a belief but something that is important. I felt better and things became easier. :)

I did a net search and found (I write this here just because I feel this might help others on this forum - maybe with something else related to TLDs) -

1. In the international (U.S.) context - .edu domain name registration is handled exclusively by EDUCAUSE, a nonprofit organization working to promote the intelligent use of information technology in education.

2. In the Indian scenario, things have been taken up by the ERNET India and they have an .edu.in provision which is normally restricted for schools and academies (though I could not collect more information on what kind of academies are covered).

In either case, I now am confirmed that an individual "Tutor" cannot get this domain (unless of course some "black-hat" kind of stuff is done). This means, that my client will have to opt for other domain TLD.

Also, 3 - I did a quick search and tried to find if the places where Indians normally would go for domain registrations do provide the .edu on their list -
    a. GoDaddy (india)
    b. hostgator
    c. whois

The above 3 do not allow registering a .edu TLD. The whois allows a .education TLD though.

6. WDFAdmin Administrator

WDFAdmin

Staff Member

This one case where the new TLDs might come in handy. The tutor looking for an .edu domain could probably get by with a .education domain instead.

SimplySidy likes this.
  7. Shamzblueworld New Member

Shamzblueworld

The project you are talking about here would actually suit well with a .edu domain name. Because it is related to education and online teaching, it might work better than a .com or any other tld for that matter.
    Also I would suggest to use .edu instead of .education or any newer tlds, because I think it would have an edge over the newly available domains.

8. SimplySidy Member

SimplySidy

This is what the problem is. The client realizes the importance of the .edu TLD (and so do I), but I also know - .edu TLD is not available for Singletons or everyone and again, it is not easy to get this TLD. The process to get through will take a long time as you have to get clearance from multiple authorities which is possible if you can show with Valid Proof that you are running an Academy - maybe a school or a college or anything similar - have the right staff amongst other things. Please read my response above - #1 and #2 - clearly state the difficulties involved.

Also read the response from dear @fastreplies .

If you know of any registrar that allows one (as an individual and without hassles) to book a .edu TLD, it would be great - as I have failed to find any.

9. toradrake Member

toradrake

Why not just use the another TLD like .in? It is obvious that the .edu TLD is not available, unless she can follow the criteria needed to obtain one... like opening a tutoring business or something (not sure what the criteria is). I do agree with @Shamzblueworld though and would not use education. First off, it is to long and two it is to uncommon.

10. SimplySidy Member

SimplySidy

When I last spoke to her, she said that she was trying to find out if she could avail the .edu.in TLD via the authorities concerned. But honestly, somewhere, I have a hunch that the proposal will be rejected as what she plans to do is not a "schooling" thing and a self tutoring kind of thing. Again, she will be doing it single-handedly which will make things difficult.

Coming to the other TLDs, I too initially thought that the .education TLD will be long and uncommon - but her reasoning is good - she believes even Yahoo and Google were uncommon when they launched their sites (Attitude or whatever, I like the confidence of this Girl). Anyways, I am waiting to hear from her - what happens next. And we are running short on time as she gets married in Jan and moves away - the delays might cause me a loss of work :p

11. Converse Active Member

Converse

In time, the new extensions will be considered normal, and it's quite likely that people will find the longer ones attractive and easier to understand, since it's generally easier to remember words that random letters.

12. Shamzblueworld New Member

Shamzblueworld

Maybe converse is right, in time we would get used to those awkward looking new extensions, but I feel there are just too many now. Its like they have thought that what the hell, whatever someone does, can have their field as the tld for their site, which is quite absurd.

13. xTinx New Member

xTinx

Maybe if she registers her business under the category of academic institution in her own country, then she may qualify for the .edu extension. If this undertaking happens to fall under the category of commercial business, then it would be better for her to sport a .net or .com extension. Yes, it would seem unethical unless she's granted the same status as an academic institution. If she's planning to put up an online school or offering a course, then it would be possible.