1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Pay by Tweet

Discussion in 'Social Networking' started by Jason76, May 10, 2015.

1. Jason76 Member

Jason76

Some people are giving access to quality content in exchange for a social media signal, a Facebook like, share, tweet, etc. Is it ethical to do so? Shouldn't someone view the material for before approving it? For instance, what if I liked some material to gain access, then I found it wasn't good. Well, I guess I could take the tweet back. :rolleyes:

I'm assuming most who are disappointed will give it back. Otherwise, the search results would be a fraud because search engines, especially Google, are giving higher rankings to websites with better social signals.

2. kazzak New Member

kazzak

I don't really see why it would be unethical? Sure I'd never do that, and I don't usually even press the thanks got access their content because it's all just a ploy to reuse old content to boost their online status on the said forum. For that I think social media is quite good, as it gives you (the site) actual boost instead of just little numbers to the member themselves.

On a little sidenote, in this day and age where everyone is gaming search engines I find it hilarious to complain about that.

3. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

I think that it's ethical to do so, this is how people are getting likes and shares. This is how businesses are getting people to come to their store. They get people to share their page or ask people to like it so that they can gain more followers. These businesses want to make sure that they are able to stay alive and have people buying from them. This is one way that they are able to get their name out there. If I was a small business I would not do that, but that is just my view. I believe that if you are a business then you should be able to generate your own likes, views, and followers. You also should not buy them. I don't know if companies actually do buy followers and what not. I know some people do. I just believe it's another way for them to get out there, by having others share their stuff.