1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Php Weby directory

Discussion in 'Directory Scripts/Themes' started by toradrake, Feb 7, 2015.

1. toradrake Member

I came across an article that suggested using this program. Has anyone ever used it before? Is it a good one to work with? If not, what is one that you would suggest?

2. Converse Active Member

PHP Weby is, I believe, a free script. I won't say that there aren't any, but I can't think of a serious web directory that is using it. It might be a good way for someone to be able to play around with a web directory script, because it includes all of the components of a web directory, and would give you an idea of what it's all about. Although I know that it's available, I don't know whether it is still in development. I removed it from my directory of directories when its domain (phpweby.com) expired.

The problem with free scripts is that they are more easily available to hackers who, if there were more directories using that particular script, would find ways to hack into it fairly easily. Also, while it does occur in some of the free forum scripts, a common problem with free scripts is that, because no one is making any money from them, development is slow. I don't know that it is no longer in production but, if that's the case, there will be no upgrades to it, so it would just become more and more obsolete.

As I mentioned in another thread, the best script to to use would depend on what you wanted to do with your directory. I wouldn't rule out a WordPress-based script. Although I haven't used it, Vantage looks very good. Other reliable scripts include phpLinkDirectory, eSyndiCat, and phpWebDirectory. Gossamer Links looks good, and I've heard good things about it, and they also produce a forum script (which would probably link, I'm not sure), but it was too expensive for me.

3. Jason76 Member

I got phpWeby for my web directory cause phpLD won't work with the latest verison of PHP. However, I haven't much time to play around with it. I hope it will work out well. Are there a lot of templates for it?

That's not always true. The phpBB support forum is alive and kicking, and also the MyBB one (in reference to forum software). Also, a lot of free scripts make money thru the sale of plugins. That's how I believe WordPress makes it's money.

Often from a marketing standpoint, making something free, and then making money from add-ons, is a common and profitable strategy.:cool:

Converse likes this.