1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Pirate Sites Getting Dumped

Discussion in 'Google' started by toradrake, Jan 5, 2015.

1. toradrake Member

Google was "asked" to dump 345 million pirate sites from their search engine in 2014. This currently number had a steady increase since the "take down" request started in 2008. Google honors some of these request, but many they ignore. For those of you who do not know... in 2008 copyright commissions began sending request to search engines (primarily Google) to take down sites that offer copyrighted material for free violating the copyright laws (primarily torrent sites). These request, while in the beginning were only a trickle of a dozen or so a year, have increase substantially to the 345 million request in 2014.

Here is a link to the article for more information on this.

Google Asked to Remove 345 Million “Pirate” Links in 2014

2. jblogger New Member

I like this idea from the article
    Copyright holders and content creators should be less worried about piracy and more about improving their offer. Having the content available from a legitimate source at a reasonable price is the best way to engage customers and make money.

Rainman likes this.
  3. Rainman New Member

I agree. When people don't find what they are looking for will they give up their pursuit for pirated files. Not likely. They have friends on social media, on forums, etc. All they have to do is ask their friends where they can download something free. They 'll get the answer they want and they'll get the files anyway. So as jblogger suggests, it would be much for copyright holders to find ways how they can fight against pirates and win. Should they offer free streaming services and make money from ads? Allow people to use their software online free and make money from ads or charge them a fee they can afford? Such solutions could make them more money IMO.

4. toradrake Member

Personally, if they really want to get rid of piracy... put everything on the net for people to get. End of problem. Most stations are starting to understand this a bit. They have their shows airing on the net as well as the TV... but they still have not placed all of their shows up. I really think though that we are transitioning and soon, cable will be a thing of the past. More and more people turn to the internet to watch their shows and movies, so soon the networks will move over to a completely online station. I have actually been entertaining the idea for years of creating a fully online TV station, but I neither have the money nor the technical know how to do it. I know how to make movies and TV shows (I went to film school) but to create a TV station online would be a task I am not fully prepared for to do alone. Anyone interested in working with me on the idea?

5. xTinx New Member

I can't really say "good riddance" since I have been using a number of those torrent and streaming sites in the last few years. Somehow, it just doesn't seem worth it to buy movies online. Aside from affordability issues, I'm wary of hidden charges which are commonplace when you're transacting business in cyberspace. Anyway, perhaps in the future when they've sorted out this matter of affordability, then I'd be more willing to pay for what the movie's worth.

6. toradrake Member

I get my movies online for the same price I would in a store and sometimes less. Where on Earth are you looking for these movies at xTinx?

7. mr_bucks New Member

Google is caught between a rock and a hard place. Everyone knows that piracy does not affect sales, and in the digital age copyright is not longer a good business model. But on the other hand there are various groups which are trying to enforce this old fashioned business model.

Piracy is rampant in China. Music performers make nothing from music sales, instead they actually encourage piracy of their work. The music performers then make their money from live performances, sponsorships etc.

Open source shows software per say has no value, companies make money by offering service with open source. There are countless examples of companies profiting off open source by offering services.

8. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

The problem is that no one wants to go out and buy the movies still. And why would you when you can just watch them online for free? There are so many people who are starting to do that. Honestly, they will never be able to get rid of all these sites. They will always keep popping up because people want to see them. Plus, movies aren't coming out fast enough for people either. I think movies should only be in the theater for a month or less. I mean who would want to see a movie that's been in there for a month? No one really. I think no matter what these sites will always thrive. No matter how many Google takes down, it will never be enough.

9. Jason76 Member

Music and movie companies in the US have purposely placed viruses on peer to peer networks to discourage illegal downloads. For the most part, the strategy has worked. However, a performer in this new digital age must accept the fact that a lot of their music will be sold illegally. Therefore, they must seek out other ways to get revenue which might actually involve the ecouragement of free downloading. Actually, free downloads aren't the same thing as illegal downloads because the owner gives permission.

10. maverick New Member

Interesting, but I guess that won't be a way to defeat pirates site in my opinion. If Google will start removing them (I doubt they will because it means losing a quite large piece of traffic and audience) there will be surely a new searche engine that will come up just in replace of Google about that pirates site removed.