1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Quality is more important than quantity

Discussion in 'Social Networking' started by mr_bucks, Jan 16, 2015.

1. mr_bucks New Member

mr_bucks

People always think that bigger is always better. So there is an obsession with facebook likes and shares. How many people like your page or how many people like your posts.

Likes and shares should be used to judge what people like from your posts. So see what people like and give them more of the same. See what types of posts people do not like, and stop giving them those things.

You are better off with 5000 users who are enthusiastic about what you are offering as oppposed to 50,000 users which are luke warm. These 5000 users will help you gain like minded followers.

Often as groups grow bigger, they start to lose their quality and direction. If you take care of the little things you won't have to worry about the big things they will take care of themselves.

Niches are more important then something that is general and broad. So you are better off to have a group that deals with a certain breed of dog as opposed to a group that talks about dogs in general.

Quality might be a slower way to grow things but it pays off in the long run.

2. blur92 New Member

blur92

I agree. People who genuinely like and are interested in your posts are going to contribute more. They have more to say about the topic. When they comment more the page looks busier. That is attractive to others who are also interested. They all begin to converse with each other providing an informative, active page.

3. mr_bucks New Member

mr_bucks

Most website traffic used to come from search engines, if you where selling the person something, you only had one chance. So the hard well was the best method.

For social media pages, the user is not interested in buying something right away, so you have to soft sell him. Just keep him aware that you exist. So see what gets upvoted and what doesn't. Try posting pics of anything that remotely relates to your page.

4. Converse Active Member

Converse

I think that, for nearly everyone, most web traffic still comes from search engines.

blur92 likes this.
  5. blur92 New Member

blur92

I agree with Converse. Up until recently I depended on search engines to find web sites. This included whether I was intentionally looking for one I had in mind or browsing and hoping to find something that caught my interest. I still use them, of course; but I've been dabbling with directories and going on social networks more.

6. xTinx New Member

xTinx

I agree. Whether you're talking about social media marketing or general search engine optimization, quality has an edge over quantity. Although if you can strike a balance between the two, then so much the better. I've noticed that just because your post has a lot of likes that doesn't always mean it's got the most organic clicks.

7. mr_bucks New Member

mr_bucks

This is dependent on the type of traffic. If the user is searching for "what is the best power drill to buy" he might use google. But he also might post on some social media site asking "what type of power drill do you recommend ?".

People spend several hours a day on social media, but only 10+ minutes a day using google search.

So with facebook/twitter if the guy is interested in surfing, he will be subscrined to several surfing pages or groups. The key is getting the guy subscribed to these pages and keep him subscribed.

8. blur92 New Member

blur92

Well, I think we have to take into consideration how they're spending that time. People on social media aren't necessarily searching in the same way they do with Google. With a search engine you spend a significant less time because you're visiting the sites you searched for. With social media you're engaging in conversation, looking at people's pictures, browsing through a news feed, etc. If you're doing a search then you may likely remain on that social network because the page you're looking for is a part of it.

9. oldwriter New Member

oldwriter

This should be put in a frame and given away for webmasters to remind.

Spammers and opportunists thrive on one-time visitors, obtained in any way possible since there simply isn't any long-term relationship building of any kind being considered.

On the other hand, the conscious web developer looks for making a steady, recurrent flow of visitors, obtained in clean ways, maximizing the possibility of multiple conversions over time.

Making money out of an user-base is more of a slow and steady process. You cut your chances to succeed if you are always in a rush to make a quick buck. Your point regarding quality summarizes this perfectly.

It's the spammer who drools for those 50,000 users since he's playing the numbers game in a dumb way. Thinking the more users the more chances of some user (any user) engaging.

The smart numbers game being targeting your users carefully for devoting to them in a meaningful way, reaping the benefits over time in a steady fashion. This is the best strategy when you plan to be online to stay.

blur92 likes this.
  10. toradrake Member

toradrake

That goes without saying. What good is bigger if its a piece of crap. If you have to choice been quality and quantity, quality should always be the choice without thought.

blur92 likes this.
  11. Scorp Member

Scorp

Well, but quantity is important too.

For one, what are most people more likely to like, a Facebook page with 100 likes, or one that has 10.000 likes? I'd say the bigger one, following other people and doing as you see others doing and all that monkey business...

Then, are you more likely to share a post that already has 1000 shares, or one that has 3 shares? Again, I'd say the bigger one.

Don't get me wrong, quality content matters A LOT, but you have to press those psychological buttons in people's heads...

And one more thing for Social Shares, apart from showing some sort of authority and hopefully making people more likely to share your post because they see that it has already been shared 1000s of times, we also have to remember that those shares are backlinks that help with SEO. They're social signals, I believe is the term...

They may not be as important or valuable as links from Wikipedia or some high-PR sites, but they're valuable too, and shouldn't be disregarded.

Converse likes this.
  12. mr_bucks New Member

mr_bucks

I have started a couple of facebook groups and pages, and grew them organically. The amount of inital likes matters a lot, when you start the page, there is an inertia. It takes a while to get past that inertia. Afterwards I watch what people like or ignore. Stuff people like I give them similar stuff, and then everyday or so I try something new.

My idea of quality and my user's idea of quality often differ. Quality is measured by do you users like the content.

13. Billy New Member

Billy

The real trick is to be able to combine the both of them. If you can find a way to make tons of quality content, then you're golden. That's the thing with a lot of these SEO tools that a lot of people don't think about, of course if you use the tool straight out of the box and blast links it won't work as well, but if you can blast tons of quality links, then you have a good plan.

14. blur92 New Member

blur92

Quantity is undoubtedly still important. Having only a handful of quality posters but hardly any users isn't good. The goal is to have more traffic too. Having a few quality posters permanently does not help, but those few can potentially bring in more users, some of which will engage in meaningful conversation. Having a large number of inactive followers makes the page stagnant.

15. dyanmarie25 New Member

dyanmarie25

Absolutely. A huge misconception about writing content is that it should be a very long post to the point that the article is somehow already misleading/confusing. Just write the most important things, and then you're good to go.

16. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

I agree. I have experienced this myself with my own forums.

I own a forum that has a very small user base (around 100 members) but every knows each other and they're all very enthusiastic about the topic. I couldn't have more dedicated members. Even though the niche is small and it will likely never be a very large forum I ok with that because it's an active community.

In my opinion you aren't a community unless you know the people there and genuinely "love" the site. This is what makes a forum great.

17. toradrake Member

toradrake

So we are a herd of sheep? Follow the leader so to speak? LOL I don't pay attention to the "likes" on anything. I go for what attracts me. I have been in and chatted away in forums that only had 2 members and liked them better then some that I've been in that have 1000 + members. Then again... I'm not the most "normal" person in the world. :p

18. Scorp Member

Scorp

Well we're all different. I'm not the "normal" person in the world either. Like, I hate doing surveys because I know that my opinion is so far out that it won't help them any, those people that are collecting information with that survey. They should take that to the other guys - majority.

That said, the fact that you don't pay attention to likes, doesn't mean that others won't. We're just working with what we can and with the realization that not all people are like me, or you. :p

If everybody was like me, well, first of all sidebar ads on sites would probably be non-existant, among many other things. Hunger in the world wouldn't exist, churches wouldn't exist in their current state - I'd convert them all to shelter for the homeless, or for animals, or some other HELPFUL use... because right now they're just overpriced empty buildings serving no real purpose...

Anyway, point it, I have to always remember that most people aren't like me, and I have to remember the times when I was social and out in the world, and how the people behave, thing, act, do, etc...

By remembering that, give me all the likes you can, fake or real, so that the sheeple will follow, with respect. :D mahahaa

19. toradrake Member

toradrake

OMG It's my long lost TWIN!!!!!!

Get out of my head Scorp.... My Ideas! MINE!

Hence the reason I put the disclaimer about me not being normal. LMAO

Scorp likes this.
  20. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

I think both are important and you need an balanced percentage of both to run a successful site.

If you have super high quality content but not very much of it then you're site probably won't be getting much traffic.

If you have tons and tons of crappy content that isn't worth reading then you'll get lots of hits but no active participation.

You need a good balance of the two. You want quality content but don't sacrifice quantity for too high quality posts.