1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Rise and Fall Of Social Media Usage

Discussion in 'Social Media Marketing' started by toradrake, Feb 21, 2015.

1. toradrake Member

I found this image in Site Pro News and I thought I'd show it to you guys. It shows how usage of social media sites have risen on fallen in the past year. Seems that Pinterest and Tumbler are the top used and Facebook had fallen down a bit.

2. jblogger New Member

It would be interesting to see the number of active members every social platform has and not just it's growth just to see if that 9% lost of growth even affects Facebook or not.

The thing that's got my attention more is the fact that Youtube keeps growing because I think it's the oldest of all social sites on that list.

3. Rainman New Member

Facebook, IMHO opinion will keep falling.

The reason? Social networking apps. The days when FB dominated social media are approaching their end. There are hundreds of alternatives these days. A number of those who used Facebook, especially the younger people opted to start using apps like Whatsapp more. I guess that's how we can account for Facebook's "woes" and they'll only get worse in time. I suppose that's why they bought Whatsapp. They foresaw how smartphone apps would change the usage of social media.

Has the usage of social media fallen? No. It evolved.

4. KenBrace New Member

Interesting. I didn't know that facebook was on the decline. It was more active than ever from all I could tell.

There could just be somewhat of the rise and fall effect within sites. Sometimes you get tired of facebook and start using twitter. Then you get tired of twitter and start checking facebook again.

It might not be that facebook is on a continual decline but rather that it's up and down fluctuates. I don't know. I could be wrong.

5. xTinx New Member

Facebook has become so repetitive lately. It's basically the same thing although the various apps have helped stave off the boredom for a while. Of the four SNS - Twitter, Pinterest, Tumblr and Facebook - I like Pinterest the most.

6. KenBrace New Member

What is it about Pinterest that you like?

Is it particularly good for advertising or do just enjoy using it?

7. May102014 New Member

I'm surprise viewing the data with Pinterest being so heavily used. I'm not shock by Facebook's decline as other platforms like Instagram and Tumblr have grew in popularity. I guess this is due to the fact I am not on Pinterest to accurate give an unbiased assessment of its ability to be marketable to a broader audience. I expected YouTube to be much higher but I will admit you have so many "spammy" videos on YouTube, which takes away some of the potential audience because people are bombarded with junk.

8. xTinx New Member

Pinterest combines words and images together so there's a dual impact: it stimulates your vision and awakens mental faculties. The result is that you get drawn to most Pinterest pins because they are visually and mentally stimulating. It's particularly great for marketing since people easily get bored with plain text these days.

9. PandaDZN New Member

Facebook has some serious privacy issues. They say that they're gonna fix a problem but it just gets even worse that's why there is a -9% in active users. Most of them just don't like about Facebook anymore.

10. MoreThanBeerMoney New Member

People haven't mentioned how Facebook is also cracking down on automated / fake accounts.

Instagram and Tumblr seem to be received best by the youngest generation and that is why they are flourishing. Facebook is still the king but it's just like every other social media network and has its own advantages and disadvantages.

The real problem is that with all of these social networking sites, people are connecting less in person and it's kind of a shame to see how much time kids spend in front of various screens.

11. PandaDZN New Member

Completely true. I remember a while back Instagram started banning a bunch of accounts that had their followers and likes bot'd but sometimes they're nice enough to remove the bot'd likes/follows. Not quite sure about Facebook and Twitter though.

12. Sunflower_Michele54 New Member

Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, Pinterest, Snapchat, and YouTube are all very popular social media sites. Social media is a big part of today's world. It seems to have become the soul way of communication among people, especially those between their teens and their twenties. A lot of people do not communicate in person as much because of these sites. Using these sites is not a bad thing. However, the usgae of these sites do tend to become addicting to some people. It takes them away from the outside world many times. This is especially true for kids. They spend lots of time on their iPads, iPhones, and iPods and not enough time playing outdoors. My opinion is that these sites have both increases and decreases in those who use them. People may deactivate their accounts, but new users will join these sites. This happens all the time.

13. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

That was actually pretty surprising to me. I would think that Facebook would have had more, but I mean I can see why they are losing people. The site isn't what it used to be. I know that I used to love going on it, and now I'm not a huge fan of it anymore. I don't go on it unless I'm very bored, or am talking to friends on it. I love Tumblr and Pinterest though. I can see why more people who be going there. There is so much more that you can do on both those sites. Facebook is just Facebook, and these are also new sites. And these new sites come with awesome new things that you can do on them. I also think that Tumblr is almost like Facebook in its own way.

14. maverick New Member

I guess it is still far away from us the moment when Facebook will be passed away and a new fancy and viral social network will come up. Despite the decreasing amount of the users I guess they still have a huge fanbase that guarantee them the income they need to keep up the infrastructure with of course some good worth.

15. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

I honestly believe that Facebook will be gone once there is a new site like it comes up. It seems like so many people aren't using it anymore. So many more people are using the other sites. There isn't much left on Facebook that would be worth getting on for. Most of the time all you see is someone posting some drama or their baby. That's all people want to post about. I'm sure that there is still a pretty big fan base like you said, which is why it's still alive. There is still many people who like posting about what they are doing during the day I guess.

16. maverick New Member

There must be people like this actually else Facebook would have been already close, don't you think? By the what you're saying it's correct. The poeple in general are moving slowly to sites like Twitter. Me too to be honest I'm thinking about it as it's really becoming so boring Fcebook as for now and most of the time I access it from phone and the application really sucks and make me want to uninstall it.

17. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

It doesn't have to lose millions of people for it to not be good anymore. All I'm saying is that it's not a good website anymore. I know many people aren't using it anymore. They are starting to use other social media sites, and I can't blame them. It seems pointless to me now. And like you said, you are even moving away from it. I know a couple people who also want to uninstall the app from their phone. I might have to do that at some point also.

18. cwvps New Member

This is true, more and more people have other options and join other social media. Facebook is still big, enourmous actually and still earns tons of money, so I don't see it going down anytime soon.

19. chinomoreno New Member

Facebook, can really be boring at times and a little too crowded. I can surrender my facebook but not my instagram haha