1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Social Sites - Yes Or No

Discussion in 'Social Networking' started by DirtRider, Aug 7, 2015.

1. DirtRider New Member

DirtRider

I have read in so many places that it is always important to have your site also listed on the normal social media. What I understand is that this is supposed to direct members towards your site thus placing it on a better ranking overall.

I never really went into this that much but always did have a Facebook Page and a Twitter account but really did not work on it that hard. So I was really not surprised that it never yielded great results overall, however I still kept at it to some degree.

Recently I opened up my new Cat Forum and as we all well know creating a forum is the easy part but getting it active is where the real hard work comes in. So I tried various methods and in the end decided I will really give the social media a good go. I even purchased a social connect add on that would easily post up selected threads to Facebook and Twitter.

I really thought that this was the answer and would bring in great results overall. I kept at it promoting my pages on both Twitter and Facebook and in the end had a very nice following on both. However it was still not bringing in anything to the actual forum itself. I was even getting private messages on both social sites telling me how much they liked the page and what I was posting up.

Now some of the post that were posted up from the forum itself you would really need to follow the link and read the full story on the forum, especially on twitter. This really did not seem to be happening and some we even re-tweeting many of my tweets and this confused me somewhat.

I even started advertising free give-aways on both sites directing this towards my forum and still no interaction on the actual forum itself. So in the end it really struck home that social media people just don't get the idea of what a forum is all about and the two really don't seem to connect.

In the end I just found it was far better focusing all my energy on the actual forum itself by trying to post up unique content and this seems to be getting better results all round.

2. Jason76 Member

Jason76

Perhaps a combination of social media marketing and unique content would build up a large member base. I would keep on doing both with equal intensity. Perhaps you could also try posting signature links to your forum on pet blogs and forums, especially ones focusing on cats.

3. DirtRider New Member

DirtRider

Over time of trying social site I just came to the conclusion that 95% of people using them really don't get what a forum is all about. The only people I find that would post are the few that want to promote something that they are doing then it is just one or two post and they don't come back. So really I just feel putting all that time into the forum itself is just time better used.

4. Jason76 Member

Jason76

Perhaps you could use pay per click ads specifically targeting cat or pet owners. Another option might be paid ads in blogs and forums specifically about cats and pets. An extreme tactic might be a paid ad in an offical print cat or pet magazine. These methods might give better results than using free forum signatures.

As I stated in a reply to your raffle thread, your probably not specifically targeting cat and pet owners. I looked at your forum and it seems to have good material. Therefore, if it's presented toward the right people, it should do well.

As a side note, you might even want to specifically target cat owners, as opposed to pet owners.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015