1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Somebody at Yahoo Must Hate Them...

Discussion in 'I Hate Directories Because' started by danimiranda, Oct 29, 2014.

1. danimiranda New Member

danimiranda

Yahoo is closing its doors in web directory in December of this year. Purposeless? Maybe. Too complicated. Perhaps. Or just too costly to maintain? Only after a short while did Yahoo decide they would not provide this service. I wonder if others will soon follow...

2. athena02 New Member

athena02

It would have to be the cost. My guess is that the benefits they got from it weren't worth the maintenance costs, and they had other things they would rather focus on.

As for others following suit, its hard to tell. Directories have been getting less and less useful over the years.

3. danimiranda New Member

danimiranda

I agree that they are becoming less useful. Do you websites will eventually deem this service unnecessary all together and give up or do you think a new kind of directory service will take its place. I just don't see the need for it at all.

4. Converse Active Member

Converse

What do you mean when you say that they are becoming less useful? Search engines have been around since most people had access to the Internet. Although there were some earlier ones, the first to become widely popular was probably Webcrawler, which came online in 1994, four years before Skrenta launched Gnuhoo (which became Newhoo, which became the Open Directory Project, and is now DMOZ). Google's search engine began around the same time.

If the idea is that web directories were made useless by search engines, that doesn't fit with the facts that search engines were developed before web directories. The rise in popularity of web directories came about after search engines had come into existence.

If the idea is that search engines are a vastly more efficient means of finding information online, I suppose you could make that argument, but when I look at the results that I get on searches that I make in Google, I'm not so sure.

I believe that web directories have become less popular today because so many of them are crap, and it's not in the financial best interests of either search engines or SEO companies to differentiate the good ones from the bad ones.

Yahoo chose to drop its search engine because it was not the backbone of the company's business, and this was a decision that came only after many years of neglect, in that they haven't added much of anything new to their directory in many years now. Pretty much every business and product on the market has to continually upgrade itself and improve if it is going to remain in business, and they hadn't done that with their web directory. It was a business decision, but I don't know that anything can be read into it as far as what it might say for web directory industry, since Yahoo pretty much left that industry behind long ago.

cwvps and Alunny like this.
  5. Billy New Member

Billy

Yahoo are shutting down a lot of things lately. Didn't they shut down a content service that they had for a long time recently? It was a place where they paid people to submit their content.

6. athena02 New Member

athena02

There'll definitely be a decline, but I don't think they will disappear altogether. There will always be a demand for web directories, and as long as these exist, there will be people to provide it. Who knows, as the internet develops, people may end up finding new uses for directories.

7. tasha New Member

tasha

I think they are suffering because they have not been as visible to the world as google and bing. Yahoo has made it difficult for internet users to use their services because they are not as approachable as the others.

Alunny likes this.
  8. Gin0710 New Member

Gin0710

Or perhaps people got tired of picking up viruses from Yahoo every time they used it to look up grumpy cat. I do not trust Yahoo at all! Anytime I go to their sites I always have some kind of virus.

9. toradrake Member

toradrake

I think web directories still have their uses if they are maintained correctly. So I hope wholeheartedly that they do not faze out. They to me are the phone book online for websites. Rather than having to type in a search query and hope I can find what I am looking for in a search engine, I go to a directory, look up the subject, and search that way...letting my fingers do the walking :p. Sometimes it is faster to use a directory then a search engine other times it is not, but like I said it needs to be well maintained. I do however think that search engines and directories need to be kept separate. With the net being so big, it is easier and more efficient if you have only one search medium to maintain than two.

Also, just a side note. I think search keys for SE's and Categorizing for directories should be done by them and not site owners or designers. It is amazing how many sites find ways to get away with saturating the net under search key and categories that are not really where they should be. For instance, If I am specially looking for horse bridles, I have to look through every site that even mentions horse in it just to find the one about just bridles. I have had times when I had to look through almost 10 pages of sites to find one that was relevant to what I was looking for no matter how specific I was. If the SE's and Directories had more control over this, maybe it will clean things out more. Of course it would cause a lot of issues too, I understand that...people also need to learn how to search more effectively to find what they want...but anyway, getting off subject here.

Yahoo may have eliminated their directory because fewer and fewer use it (some don't know they exist, others feel they are too limited) as well as the cost to maintain it was not feasible (they used to pay people to keep the directory clean manually). Either way, it is sad to see it go.

wdr likes this.
  10. Converse Active Member

Converse

I don't do a lot of optimization stuff anymore, other than for my own sites but, when I do, my clients nearly always wanted to be in the Yahoo! Directory. Even at $300 a year, they accepted that this was a worthwhile expense. I never submitted one of my own sites to it via the paid option but have had a few accepted for free, and one that a Yahoo editor had added without it having even been submitted.

11. toradrake Member

toradrake

Have you used the submission sites where they submit to several Search Engines at once for you free? Some of those also submit to directories too from my understanding. Also, directories take from other directories on a frequent basis, especially Yahoo's. They probably found your site in another directory and pulled it into theirs.

12. Converse Active Member

Converse

I would stay away from them. Although I don't think that having your site listed in a junk directory is quite as bad as getting Ebola, you really don't want your site listed in the types of directories that would accept these kind of submissions. There is no need to submit your site to a search engine, and the only good way to submit to a directory is to do it yourself.

13. toradrake Member

toradrake

LOL I like your comparison.
    I agree that submitting yourself is preferable, but I wonder how much of a difference the two ways make from one another. I utilized the mass submission tool before and I have submitted manually before and did not see to much of a difference in results other than I noticed that the SE's and Directories it submits to tend to be "low end" SE's that typically depend on "high end" SE's for their responses... unless I am observing them wrong.

14. Converse Active Member

Converse

Many directories do not accept submission through submission tools while others, like AMRAY, require an email address that matches the domain of the site being submitted.

Others do accept them, but I have reviewed submissions for a few different directories, and I can usually tell the ones that are being submitted via a submission tool, and they are most often deleted without further thought.

Many (and when I say this, I'd like to say most, but I don't have the facts to establish that) of the submission services that promise to manually submit your site to directories do not manually submit them or, when they do, they do it in such a way that the results are awful. Where free submissions are accepted, editors will not usually spend a great deal of time fixing problems with the submissions; most often, they will simply be deleted.

Even with paid submissions, submission services, or would-be SEO firms, often do a terrible job of it. More often than not, if a site is being submitted by anyone other than the site owner, I have to change the title, the description, and often the category that it was submitted to. Frequently, the description that I give it is far better than the one that was submitted, as far as keywords go, because a good site description will include keywords that are actually descriptive of the site, the company, or the product.

If you're spending a couple of hundred dollars to submit your site to a web directory (or even ten to thirty dollars), do it yourself. You know more about your site than the person you're hiring to promote it, and you care more.

toradrake likes this.
  15. toradrake Member

toradrake

Now why is it that a lot of designers and site owners don't seem to understand that? When I had to explain this to designers and site owners, they just could not accept it. They had to either fill their descriptions with a bunch of keywords that don't even describe their site or are just a copy of their keywords list refusing to write a simple description with the keywords in it that are relevant to their site.

16. sweetkymom New Member

sweetkymom

I don't think this has anything to do with directories going down but with the fact that Yahoo has nothing to compete with the big dogs such as Google and Bing. Yah oo seems to be the most undated search engine I have come across, not to mention, anything they have left is not current or most current I should say.

Directories have been around so long that I don't see them going anywhere. They may go through a decline stage but what doesn't have a moment such as that? Give them time and we might just see something bigger and better in the directory field then what we already have.

17. jblogger New Member

jblogger

Yeah, they shut down Yahoo! Voices earlier this year. It was a shame because I used to write there back when it was called Associated Content (before being bought by Yahoo) but it made sense because there where some other places that where paying freelance writers for their content and it wasn't making the money they where expecting.

As for the directory it might be the same reason. They aren't getting the renevue they where expecting and so it's easier to shut the service down instead of improving it and make it work again.

I think the only reason Yahoo is still alive is because they where right there in the beginning of the search engine wars but after failing at that field they have just failed over and over in others.

18. Billy New Member

Billy

Yeah, I forget about Yahoo all of the time, but I remember when I first got on the Internet, Yahoo was the search engine of choice for most people. It seemed to slip away from them, and they were never taken seriously again.I don't think that they can ever be considered an effective search engine again, look at Bing, they keep trying, but they're a bit of a joke.

19. jade870 New Member

jade870

I hate to hear this about Yahoo I for one like it but I guess now days nothing is ongoing forever. They were ones such a promising company, back years ago. I have used a Yahoo account for years, does this mean now if they shutting down all the content by Yahoo will also be down as well? I for one will be sad to see them go, They must be having some issues that they are not letting anyone know about for them to be closing there doors for good.

20. Converse Active Member

Converse

No, they are just closing their 15 year-old web directory, which was their flagship product.