1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

State and Province tlds

Discussion in 'Domains' started by Jason76, May 7, 2015.

1. Jason76 Member

Jason76

Should there be domain extentions for different states and provinces? Already, we have some city extentions like .nyc and .london. Of course, there could be a problem with the idea. Some national tlds match some possible state tlds.

2. kazzak New Member

kazzak

I guess if state level domains were ever introduced they'd take something like .us and make those second-level to that, e.g., tx.us, fl.us or ca.us. Overall I don't see much point in this activity to begin with, but then again I'm not from the States and might not see the individual states in the same light as locals do. For me they're just "small" areas within a country, and we don't have regional domains really anyways so I wouldn't see any need for those.

But then again I'm always against all the changes anyways :) I don't see much point in the new, non-traditional TLD's either, and I'm not much of a businessman so I guess people could bank with those extensions as well.

3. Jason76 Member

Jason76

Some possible state extentions like could represent two places. For instance, .ca could represent California, but it already represents Canada. However, I don't know any place with a .tx extention, so that should be next one, considering how Texans love their state.

4. jblogger New Member

jblogger

I've seen .la being used by business in Los Angeles, even though it's not really a city domain but the geographic TLD of the republic of Laos. Sites like www.la let you register a .la for $50 and I believe that's the same price you can get at Godaddy.