1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Thank Goodness for search Engines

Discussion in 'Search Engines' started by tasha, Mar 2, 2015.

1. tasha New Member

tasha

Whether it is Google, Bing or whatever you chose to use, a search engine is fantastic and the amount of information that you can find on a search engine is incredible. Children can look up all sorts of useful information and you can find almost anything online. My favourite is Google and I find everything I am looking for through them. The only thing I don't like about google is their translator as it is not that good, in this case Bing would be the option

2. biju New Member

biju

Nice expression tasha, I love everything what you wrote, but first time I heard like that Bing translator best then Google even I didn't see much languages there in Bing. !!!

3. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

Google translate has worked better than Bing's in my experience.

The last time I used it was about a year ago so maybe Bing has improved.

I know that Bing's search engine has now beaten Google. I used to prefer Google's results but that has changed in the last few months. Bing has improved.

4. xTinx New Member

xTinx

Google's translator is better at translating Spanish and Portuguese languages but it's not good for character-driven languages like Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Hindi, Russian and Arabic. It can translate my native language correctly to some extent (usually on a per word basis, not full sentences). Bing and Google have more or less the same quality of search engines.

5. May102014 New Member

May102014

I believe Google is currently number one on the list of the Top Search Engines because it is somewhat very helpful in finding information on whatever sorts you wanted to look for. I wasn't able to use Bing or other search engine sites, but I'm sure those other sites are also reliable in some other ways. Whatever search engine that you would want to use/enter in finding and extracting information, I can say that they can still be an effective source or a good information provider.

6. toradrake Member

toradrake

If it was appropriate to do so, I would show you just how bad Googles translator can be. LMAO

Bing is still growing, but they have advanced quite a bit. Their languages section is starting to get better though.

7. xTinx New Member

xTinx

You got a beef with Google or something? It works just fine for me. An electronic translator will never be as good as a human translator, anyhow. I do use translators for particular words, just so I have an inkling of what a foreign phrase or sentence is talking about.

8. toradrake Member

toradrake

Can't stand them. Their privacy policies are horrible, their search results are getting worse year by year, their translator is crap in most areas especially with character based writing (of course I can't blame them much on that, all translators have issues with those), my list goes on and on. I think they are a giant that needs to be taken down.

Your right, it would never be as good as a human translator, but some electronic translators are pretty head on in their translations.

9. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

What's wrong with their privacy policies?

10. toradrake Member

toradrake

They can use your information for what ever they want for themselves. Advertisements and all. I don't like that. There is more, but I just got back from a conference and I am very exhausted and don't feel like going all into it. LOL

11. athena02 New Member

athena02

I also prefer Google's translator to Bing's. But then again, it might be language specific since I only use it to translate from French to English and vice versa. I find it much easier to correct the mistakes in the Google Translator than the Bing Translator.

12. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

I have to agree. I don't know what I would do without a search engine. To me, it's just amazing all the information that you are able to get from one. There are millions of answers that you can get in a matter of seconds. It's also really great because you basically have the world in your hands with you're using a search engine. To me, I don't know how I would be able to live without one. I use search engines on a daily basis, and they have come a long way.