1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

The Best Forum Software?

Discussion in 'Forums' started by Rainman, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Rainman New Member

Rainman

I know everyone has their favorite but for those who've experimented a little with different forum software which one would you recommend for someone who intends to start a new forum?

I've heard some people say that SEO for vBulletin is much easier but would that alone make someone choose it? In any case isn't the content on the site what determines whether Search engines find your forum?

Maybe we could simply the question to:

Why did you choose the forum software you use?

2. Converse Active Member

Converse

I've run several forums, and there are some very good free forum scripts. The problem with the free forum scripts is that there isn't much in the way of tech support, for one, and the fact that the better free scripts are widely used and available encourages hackers to concentrate on them. Yeah, there are support forums that you can go to for help, but it's sort of hit and miss, in my experience.

There is a forum that is still going strong that I started on Delphiforums in 2001, but its topic is a pediatric health issue that I am no longer having to deal with so, while I am still a co-administrator there, I am not often involved in that forum. Delphiforums is nice in a lot of ways, but your audience is more or less limited to the Delphiforums community, which is huge. But I didn't want that for this forum.

After a god-awful experience with ProBoards, and particularly its paid version, Forums.net, I wanted something that I had more control over. After briefly considering several scripts, it came down to vBulletin and Xenforo. I learned that several vBulletin users were disappointed in the latest version of vBulletin, prompting many of them to switch to Xenforo.

Still, they both looked good. I had never worked the back end of either of them but have been members of forums using both, and I could have done well with either. In the end, since I couldn't decide, it made sense to go with the one that was cheapest.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  3. Shamzblueworld New Member

Shamzblueworld

I have used free forum services as well as various free and paid forum softwares, but now at FunForums.net I am using MyBB for a couple of reasons, one is that I cannot afford XenForo and second that it is the best one available for free. I really like it more than phpbb because phpbb is a lot of hardwork, in this day and age of technology I feel that they are really behind by a lot, MyBB though has a beter UI as well as ACP and also their mods are much easier to install as well as update. Upgrading MyBB is also not that difficult, so I am sticking with it until I can afford XF, among the paid ones I think I like IPB more than VB, but XF is surely at the top position.

4. Jason76 Member

Jason76

The best forum software is XenForo. However, free forum software could match XenForo if code editing is done. As far as free forum software goes, it depends on what kind of look you want. phpBB looks archaic and vintage, which is a turn-on to some. MyBB is kind of mind blowing, but not as much as XenForo. SMF looks a little more modern than phpBB.

5. PandaDZN New Member

PandaDZN

I believe that myBB is the best forum software. The themes that have been made look awesome and there is so much plugins to be added. However myBB is soon closing so I think the next best software is XenForo. Many gaming forums use it and I see why.

6. Converse Active Member

Converse

MyBB is closing? I hadn't heard that, and that would be too bad. It is good forum software, and it's been around a long time.

7. Jason76 Member

Jason76

I like XenForo but be prepared to pay a lot. I have several websites and I'd like to install it on all of them at one time. However, due to the price, I will have to install one new XenForo package each month.

8. maverick New Member

maverick

I had worked for quite some time with vBulletin and apart from the graphics that is really well done by default I think that it is one of the best I've ever worked with since now. I'll be honest, I didn't really worked with a lot of forum softwares but about the few ones I tryed, vBulletin is the best. There are plenty of reasons to claim this and of them (that I consider rilevant in forum software) is the possibility of customization. The vBulletin software is completely customizable in every single aspect of the forum (of course the theme, users managment, posts managments and so on...) Also, as far as I know, exploits and hacks are fixed in days if not in hours so I'd stick with it.

9. Jason76 Member

Jason76

I heard the new vBulletin has massive problems with spam. In fact, one math forum I visited was swamped with spam. Actually, even phpBB, a free software, stops spam better than the new vBulletin. However, I think vBulletin will fix this recent problem, as they will keep losing a lot of customers if they don't.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  10. Converse Active Member

Converse

A lot of people are leaving vBulletin. I like Xenforo, and am not sorry that I chose it, but the past several upgrades haven't added anything interesting. Another one that I looked at was Burning Board. It looked very good to me but it was fairly new and English is not the first language of its creators, so I chose to go with Xenforo instead.

11. maverick New Member

maverick

Actually that's a problem of the owners that don't enable the CAPTCHA code on the registration phase. This will remove completly the problem of the bots spamming and stuff like that. I don't why they don't enable it actually since it's quite easy and it is also written on the installation phase under the preferences if you want to enable it in order to block the spammers...

12. Jason76 Member

Jason76

Burning Board is considerably cheaper than XenForo. They have a pretty good marketing idea. It might lead to a lot of sales if they can get the word out. I wonder why there isn't any big name paid blog software?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  13. Alunny Member

Alunny

I am quite biased in that I prefer SMF. I love it so much I joined the team and did technical documentation for them back in 2007/2008 and today I run a managed SMF hosting service called Next Level SMF. Basically designed to help new/busy admins work the software and the backend code. I did start with phpBB but after being hacked about 3 times I found my oasis in SMF.

As far as paid software goes, IPB is my all time fav. It's BEAUTIFUL, it has fantastic social features....it's genuinely amazing. My second fav would have to be XenForo....mostly because the BBC editor is the best looking editor I've ever seen, but also because the login is smooth and classy.

Every software has its pros and cons. For example a pro for SMF would be that it has table BBC and you can mark topics unread. Hard to find in other forums.

14. reddyash New Member

reddyash

I am currently using xenforo and vbulliten. But prefer xenforo. Mybb will be the forum if I am opting for free software.