1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Discussion in 'Social Media Marketing' started by toradrake, Dec 17, 2014.

1. toradrake Member

According to a Global Web Index’s Q3 2014 report in November. Tumblr is suppose to be the fastest growing media network. I don't know much about Tumblr, never having used it myself, and was wondering what your thoughts were on it.

2. ducklord Member

I never liked it, but, on the other hand, I don't like social media in general. Think of it as a mix between Twitter and Blogger, being as easy to post to as the first one but with an appearance more like the second one.

If someone can explain to me why I should also be on it, use it, and what would the best ways to do so, please, do tell me!

3. Scorp Member

I've come across Tumblr threads often on some other forum, and there seems to be a lot of potential there for traffic/profit.

But Tumblr is Heavily Spammed by Internet Marketers, and a lot of automation going around for it.

Personally, this is one of the networks on my to-do list that I want to try. I believe Tumblr can be very profitable, judging by some other threads I've read. However, I'll probably setup some sort of autoblog or something on there, nothing particularly serious, because as with Blogger and other FREE platforms, you don't own your content, your account can be deleted at any time and they don't even have to provide you a reason for it.

My thoughts on it are that there is a lot of potential there. Especially considering how much traffic that place gets.

4. ockham New Member

I use Tumblr. It seems to be a site geared toward the younger audience, I'm talking the 12 to early 20s range. It's very much image-centered. Although it's kind of a blogging platform, it's used more for pictures and small bits of text. If you were to try marketing on it, you'd need to be good at posting compelling pictures and clever one-liners. Long walls of text typically get skipped.

5. Scorp Member

Thanks for the information.

Tell me, how does it work exactly? Is it 1 account per blog, or can you create multiple blogs using one account, like you can do with Blogger for example?

And I remember reading that you can you can put ads there on Tumblr, but then I read that they stopped that and then people were trying to drive traffic from Tumblr to their other websites/blogs, what's the truth?

Do they ban blog easily?

As I said, I have no experience with Tumblr, that's why I have so many questions. Hope you get back to me. :)

6. xTinx New Member

I have a Tumblr account but I'm yet to fully maximize its potential. I can't quite get the hang of Tumblr's interface. It's not as friendly as Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest. The idea of reblogging posts does appeal to me. There are lots of interesting memes and messages in Tumblr. As enjoyable as Tumblr is, it's not really an ideal platform for promoting one's business as it's more personalized.

7. dyanmarie25 New Member

I've been on Tumblr for almost six years now. It's actually just for personal purposes only. I write my ideas, reviews, daily activities, rants, ravings, fandoms, and obsessions over there, sort of like an online diary. I have seen some users promoting different stuffs there as well, so I guess it can also be an effective way of marketing too. Anyway, the best social marketing strategy is to have different accounts on different social media platforms and actively promote on each of them. It's time-consuming but who knows? You might reap the rewards after that.

8. Scorp Member

Exactly! I agree with that very much.

That's why I try to have accounts everywhere - Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Pinterest, StumbleUpon - all of the Large social networks.

And one thing I'd like to add to that, specifically for the "time-consuming" part, is try to Automate As Much As Possible. That's my advice.

Of course, I'm still working on that automation that's really automated but produces results, but I believe that that's the only way one can use multiple social networks, actively, and, you know, still have a life. :D

9. toradrake Member

@Scorp, you may just be better off building your own Auto. I looked everywhere and I have not found what you are looking for. They are not that hard to build. You can do a plugin or app or a whole program.. your choice.

10. Scorp Member

I assume you're talking about that other thread where I asked about how to continuously autopost to social media using RSS.

Honestly, I wouldn't know where to begin right now, to building something completely on my own. I have high hopes in Yahoo Pipes for that, but I still haven't gotten around to checking that out. I've been awfully busy with my transcription work.

I do want to learn how to create Bots though, for personal use and for selling. And that's one thing I plan on learning pretty soon. As of right now I can make iMacros :D

Actually I just created my first Fiverr gig recently selling some iMacros, and I had a sale, perfect 5 star rating. Took me 2 minutes to deliver the scripts - basically just uploading them, that's all the work I have to put in from now on. You know, since the scripts are created already. That's truly passive income, which is Awesome :)

And I plan on getting really heavily into Fiverr and other sites like it one of these days.

11. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

I really love Tumblr. There is so much that you can learn on it. I usually go on Tumblr a couple times a week and there is always something interesting on it. I think that it is better than most of the other social media sites that I use. The reason being that there is so much you can do with Tumblr, vs other sites. You are able to communicate with people that you don't know and there are groups you can also join that are based on your interests. You can gain more followers from there and make some good friends. I would say this is one of the best sites on the internet right now.