1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Virus Alert For Google Chrome Users

Discussion in 'Web Browsers' started by rabst, Jun 28, 2015.

1. rabst New Member

rabst

http://wearechange.org/got-chrome-google-just-silently-downloaded-this-onto-your-computer/ just POPPED-UP on my computer ... in Google Chrome, which I'm not even sure I had OPENED (I don't know---maybe I gave some on-bootup auto-program some permission or something) ...

'Putting a pin in that concern' for a moment, there's the "news" that the up-popping site "broke"---I didn't read too-deeply, but it said something about how Google Chrome 'silently downloaded a listening-software into your computer.' (I don't 'speak into' my computer, so the 'news' kinda resembles "static" to me :cool:)

Maybe the site goes a little too-far in the direction of 'feeling like Google "violates your privacy" by being aware of things you do with the tool they give you'---something that only 'violates your privacy' if you feel that "shared"-things are private. To me, the very-nature of the Internet is the opposite of private ... you put something on the Internet, it STOPS being "private."

THAT'S how WeAreChange popped-up on my computer (not specifically why ... I may have given specifically-them permission to 'break news' to me, or it may have been they 'hacked' Google Chrome; I don't know). Since 'the nature of the Internet is "public"' and 'part of a dot-org's duty is MAKING things private' ... I don't know, but it reminds me that the original sense of 'hacking' was of a wilderness-expert in the Australian Outback using his 'knife' to clear a path through the Brush.

2. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

I'm actually surprised to hear that. I mean I was always told to stay off of IE because of a virus. People have always said that it's the one browser that you can use, and get a virus. That's why I decided that I would switch over to Chrome. I'm hoping that I won't get a virus from using Chrome since that would really stink. Then I would have the change my browser again. I have a good anti-virus so I'm sure it won't happen.

3. rabst New Member

rabst

Reminds me that THE ENTIRE INTERNET is 'a virus' (in the sense of 'an entity that moves from life-giving-source to life-giving-source, like a cancer or an Internet-meme). If I tried IE10 on Windows Vista, it would "read as" a 'malfunction' (like the kind of virus you're talking-about).... like Agent Smith tells Morpheus 'all humanity' is a virus ...

4. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

I saw this thing the other day where it showed you all the places in the world that was getting attacked by a virus. So yeah, the internet is just one huge virus now. It's crazy because you can't really do anything now without getting one, which is why you have to have an anti-virus. Without one you are just basically risking your desktop/laptop everytime that you go on a site. It's not worth it to me if you don't have an anti-virus.

5. rabst New Member

rabst

Sort of like 'clothing': if your visitors don't have enough clothes on, you don't let them hang-around in your area (or you quickly vacate the area!) It doesn't matter 'what kind of clothes they're wearing' (within the bounds of "decency"), just that they're not "disgusting" :oops:

That's sorta in line with ad-blockers & anti-viruses: if the programs are 'inappropriately clothed' (displaying codes your browser can't understand), the Bouncer won't let them into the Club ;)

6. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

@rabst that is true, it's just awful how easy it is to get a virus today. I wish that it wasn't so easy because I'm always so cautious when I'm on a site because of that. Haha well that is a pretty good analogy. I think that's why people are getting the ad blockers now. Pop ups are such a good way to get a virus.