1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Virus from Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'Web Browsers' started by danielle davidson, Jun 13, 2015.

1. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

So, I heard that you are able to get virus' from Internet Explorer. Ever since I heard that I have stopped using it. Not too long ago I got a virus on my laptop and had to have the whole thing cleaned. I do not want to have to go through that again, so I just make sure to stay away from Internet Explorer. So, I was wondering if anyone else has heard of this before? I want to make sure that I wasn't being lied to, or if it's true. I don't know if I would use it again though, just for the fact that it's so slow. I hate how slow it is, so I try to not use it much. So, what have you guys heard?

2. Jason76 Member

Jason76

Most viruses can be destroyed wtih good anti-virus software. Finally, myself, I had some problems with Internet Explorer when I knew little about computers. However, later I got a good anti-virus and cleaning program for my computer, and now IE works perfectly. The main problem I had with IE was slow display. Some virus made my fast typing come out slow on the screen. At first, it was very annoying, so I just switched to another browser.

3. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

Yes, I had to switch the software that I was using. At first I started using Norton on my laptop, but I found out it wasn't very good. I had a virus on my laptop and the people who put the virus on my laptop made is so when I went on Norton, it said that my PC was clean. I was so angry when I found that out that I had to stop using Norton. I used to always use Norton. I had Staples put something on my laptop that's the best out there right now. Honestly, internet explorer was good for awhile and now I just think that it's not the best out there anymore. I had the same problems that you did and I just can not deal with the slowness. So I had to give up and I just started to use Chrome.

4. Jason76 Member

Jason76

I'm not really sure who is the best anti-virus company. They all seem very good, and the bad ones are getting smarter as they're under massive competition. Myself, I use a combination of WebRoot antivirus and System Mechanic, a computer cleaner.

The problem might not be the anti-virus, but instead the absence of a computer cleaning program. The two big ones are cCleaner and System Mechanic.

5. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

Don't most laptops come with that? I mean the anti-virus that I have now works great. It's called Sophos, and it's probably one the best ones that I've used. You don't even notice that it's running in the background which is perfect. It does everything that I need it to. That's why I don't know if I would need the eCleaner or System Mechanic. I'm planning on getting a new laptop pretty soon anyways, a Mac. So I don't think that it will be a huge issue any longer.

6. maverick New Member

maverick

Internet Explorer is just like a plague. Don't ever get in touch with him neither try to dialogate with him. Just ignore/remove it from your life. Fpr the virus I'd do a complete scan with Avast in order to be sure to remove possible infections from malwares. IE is just like the worst browser ever created by the human, not only for the viruses like you said but also for the really poorly optimization that had been done and the poorly compatibility with the new client side programming technologies. As an alternative you could try by the way Firefox or Chrome. They're both pretty good and as for now safe.

7. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

I have stopped using Internet Explorer and honestly I'm glad that I did. I don't know if people still use it, but it's a waste of time. It's just too slow for me and I don't want to use a browser that's slow. I use Chrome currently right now, and I also have FireFox downloaded onto my laptop. I think it's honestly so much better than IE. I know that my boyfriend still has it on his laptop. I'm not sure how to delete it though. He has that new update for the PC laptops. Honestly, I think that he should stop using it. I honestly don't even know if he has an anti-virus on his laptop. I wish that he would just download Chrome because then I would know that he's not going to get a virus.

8. maverick New Member

maverick

Great choice. For delete it you should follow these few steps on windows 7:
    • Go to control panel
    • select program & functionalities
    • Enable/Disable Windows functionalities on the left menu.
    • Select Internet Explorer and remove it.
    This should theorically remove IE from your computer as far as I know.

9. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

Thanks for that! I've been wondering how I can delete it from my laptop. It's been on there for awhile and sometimes I will accidently click on it. It makes me nervous because I don't want to get another virus. I don't know if that can happen from just opening it, but it still makes me nervous.

10. maverick New Member

maverick

Well, if you just open Intern Explorer with default page set as google for example than no, you're quite safe but of course with some exotic tecnique the virus could have infected the file of IE so that when you execute it somehow you could still get some viruses inside your computer but that's unlikely the reality.

11. rabst New Member

rabst

I don't know. IE is what this computer was loaded-with when I got it (I don't remember if it was IE9 already or -if I had to UPGRADE to that; but it's got Windows Vista (and I don't feel like upgrading my operating-system), and IE9 is as far as Vista can upgrade.)

I downloaded Chrome in order to 'order Pizza Hut pizza online,' but haven't noticed any 'viral' problems with IE. I think ANY browser can be 'hacked,' and I guess I've kind of grown a "rhino-skin" to some of the stuff that happens online.

Plus, there's the 'common wisdom' that your computer slows down as it gets older and/or -as you load more software onto it. I may be 'nodding along with old-wives'-tales' here though ... using free cleaning-software (look-up CCleaner) may help lengthen the lengthen the life of your hardware, like 'regularly changing the oil' will help 'protect your automobile from the damage of internal friction.'

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  12. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

I mean that's just what I've been hearing. Many people have said you are more susceptible to a virus when you're using IE. Which is why I have always stayed away for it. Another reason being that it's not as fast as FireFox or Chrome. I think at one point that it was a good browser to use, but now it's not. It seems like more people are moving towards Chrome now, and away from IE.

rabst likes this.