1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

We should use alternate search engines instead of Google

Discussion in 'Google' started by MoreThanBeerMoney, Apr 11, 2015.

1. MoreThanBeerMoney New Member

As with any industry, you really don't want one corporation having a complete monopoly because then they set the market price with minimal resistance.

People should make a conscious effort to use alternate (developing) search engines as often as possible so that they gain some market share.

If we do not put more obstacles in Google's path then we will regret it in the future.

Note that I'm not trying to sound like a conspiracy theorist but it is a scary reality that people often haven't thought of this point.

2. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

Why is it bad for Google to be the main search engine? When you think about it, it's really not the only one that people use. I'm sure a lot of people are using Bing now. I heard that they are paying people to use that engine. I know it's not a lot of money, but they are making more money from searching Bing, then they would be if they were from Google or Yahoo! I honestly love Google and I wouldn't use another site. It's the only one that I think is the most organized.

3. Converse Active Member

I rarely use Google. I began using Bing because I earn quite a few Amazon.com gift certificates by using Bing, but I search for a living so I wouldn't use them if they didn't provide good results. Over the past couple of years, they have surpassed Google for giving good results.

To answer your other question, it is never a good idea to put all of the power in anyone's hands. In the case of Google, in particular, their intention is to determine which web sites are the most accurate, according to whatever standards of accuracy they choose to employ. and this scares me because Google has shown a willingness to cooperate with governments politically. If you have any interest in a free exchange of ideas, you don't want a profit-driven company, working hand in hand with governments throughout the world, to decide what you can view online.

4. maverick New Member

I think it's too late as for now. Google already has the monopoly of the searche engines and remove it from them won't be that easy as just changing the our daily search engine. Also let's be honset.. is there anything better than Google at the moment? Is there anything that has as many results as Google has? I don't think so. But Google is not just a search engines as you know but it's also "multi-service" provider.. just think about Youtube, Maps, ecc.. You simply won't remove the monopoly from them at the moment.