1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

What advantages are there?

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by Sly14Cat, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Sly14Cat New Member

Sly14Cat

Since Yahoo is a seldom mentioned engine, it makes sense that there aren't too many people who have been using it. Do you see any advantages to using this engine as opposed to the better developed ones like Google or Bing? Or do you think that there's really no point to using Yahoo.

2. Converse Active Member

Converse

I read something not so long ago, which was overshadowed in my own interests by its announcement of the closure of its directory, that suggested that Yahoo intended to revamp its search engine in order to again become a contender in the search engine market.

They have the resources and the name to do that and, with Google abandoning public access to its PageRank metric, that seems to leave the search field open to competition since, in my opinion, PageRank was the main thing that Google had going for it.

3. GlacialDoom New Member

GlacialDoom

I think it's time for Yahoo to finally die down. I really think that the only people using Yahoo's search engine anymore are computer illiterate people, who install Yahoo Messenger and don't uncheck the options in the installer, so they get their default search engine changed to Yahoo's. Of course, they either don't care about it or they don't know how to change it, so they use that.

4. Converse Active Member

Converse

Until she died not long ago, my mother-in-law used Yahoo as her portal to the Internet. Her browser had Yahoo as the default home page, and everywhere she went from there was through Yahoo. In fact, even when she remembered the URL she wanted to go to, she would go there by entering the URL into the Yahoo search field. I am all in favor of having as many choice as possible and would love to have a primary search engine that didn't get involved in how people built their websites, who they linked to, or whether or not money was exchanged.

5. Scorp Member

Scorp

Sadly, that's what I noted too
    Sadly, that's what I've noticed too. It's mostly computer illiterate people that use Yahoo; so mostly older people. And it's not even that they like it, it's just that they somehow get it as their default search engine at some point, and then they don't really know how to change it. And they don't want to try and change it because they're scared that they're going to mess something up on their computer.

I say "sadly," because I wish there was competition to Google, honestly. All this centralization of power to Google isn't a good thing. You know, too much power corrupts absolutely, or so they say. And Yahoo could be a good competitor, but I just don't see it. I don't know why exactly, but Yahoo always seems "old" to me. I mean, their search engine seems old, buggy. Their Yahoo Mail is slow, has weaker spam filters than Google and Hotmail, and is really buggy for me a lot of times - not wanting to open, not wanting to open mail, having bugs and problems all the time. The only good thing they have going are Yahoo Answers.

We'll see what the future brings, but I believe that Yahoo will never pass Google in numbers. Something new needs to appear and take over from Google, but not too much, because then that other business will have too much power... not good :p