1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Notice What are we looking for?

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements' started by WDFAdmin, Oct 29, 2014.

1. WDFAdmin Administrator

Staff Member

While we value any contributions you can make to the forum, conversationally, of particular value are long, well considered, informative posts. In fact, I have set the forum so that search engine spiders won't even index short threads. So if you start a thread with a beginning post of under three hundred words, it won't be indexed by the search engines unless the replies are sufficient to bring the word count up to three hundred.

No, I am not saying that you shouldn't post anything here that is less than three hundred words. Some responses require no more than a sentence of two but, whenever possible, go for longevity.

Again, I am not suggesting that you should only post if you have a lot to say. Sometimes a brief post will encourage others to reply, and the accumulation of posts in a thread may be enough to hit the magic three hundred word mark. Of course, questions seldom have to be long, yet they are likely to solicit answers.

Mostly, I want you to enjoy participating in this forum. While web directories are the focal point of the forum, we're including a wide buffer area that takes in pretty much anything that might be of interest to webmasters and people wanting to know more about finding stuff on the Internet. There is also an off-topic category, called The Commons, which may include topics unrelated to the rest of the stuff we're discussing here.

Try to post things in the right places but I'm not going to yell at you if you post something that I'd rather see in another area of the board. I might move it, but that doesn't take long.

To give you an idea, this is 300 words.

2. WDFAdmin Administrator

Staff Member

In this post, I listed some of the things that I value in forum members. Please feel free to help me build on it.

3. WDFAdmin Administrator

Staff Member

When you are thinking of posting a thread in this forum, it is always nice when it is posted to the most appropriate area but I know that this can be confusing; in fact, I sometimes change my own mind about where the most appropriate area for a particular topic might be. So look around and see if you can figure out where the best place for your topic might be, but it's not that big of a deal if you choose wrongly, since it only takes me a moment to move a thread to another part of the forum, and I'd rather take the time to move it than to not have it at all. Your contributions are valued.

4. tasha New Member

I think that sometimes it should be short and sweet and to the point but there are times where people need explanations and instructions that require long and detailed information in order to get the answers to their questions. I have many questions that I would like answers for and sometimes the answers I recieve are so vague that I leave feeling even more confused than before I asked. In some cases the answers are well informed, useful and I can leave with the understanding and full knowledge of what it is that I asked for.

5. toradrake Member

There is nothing more I love is for people to let me know exactly what they want so I don't have to take a wild guess. Thank you for posting this and showing exactly (as well as telling) us how long you want our minimal post to be.

It should be common practice for bloggers to try to post over 300 words to get all the information out anyway, not just for search engines. I find short post (unless a short response is all that is needed or you are just asking a simple question) to be incomplete and uninformative a lot of times. I like post that say a lot on a subject and/or have links to places to back up the information...or in the least articles I can research to check into what you are saying if I am interested. Sites like this are designed to help inform and educate, that requires proof in some aspect to support your claims.

Happy blogging!

6. WDFAdmin Administrator

Staff Member

Some of you are active in other forums, and that's fine -- so am I. Please ensure, however, that the things that you post here are unique. In other words, if you want to discuss some of the same topics that you are discussing in another forum, that's fine too, but be sure that the thread titles and the words that you use are not the same as what you have used in another forum. Google views that as duplicate content and, even from a practical in-forum context, none of us wants someone to look at something that we've just posted and say, "Oh, I've already read that."

7. WDFAdmin Administrator

Staff Member

Feel free to use articles published on Web Directory Digest or reviews from Web Directory Reviews Org as topic starters, posting them in whichever topic might be the most appropriate. I announce the Digest articles in this thread, and the reviews in this thread, but these are not the appropriate places to discuss them.

I had considered posting them in the appropriate areas of the forum but, having done something similar on my last forum, I know that it can result in a lot of threads with very little content. Not all of them will be something that anyone here has anything to say about, but surely some of them are at least remotely interesting. Simply refer to them as you would anything that you found elsewhere and wanted to discuss, but don't feel obligated to do so.

There are others that are not announced here because I didn't start announcing them right away.