1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

What domain extensions do you?

Discussion in 'Domains' started by athena02, Oct 29, 2014.

1. athena02 New Member

athena02

Title says it all.

I used to focus on .com's myself, but started using other extensions like .info and .net recently. I've even tried a few country specific extensions for local websites.

How about you?

2. NathanG New Member

NathanG

My main (personal) website has a .com, but I have used others in the past. For instance, whenever I was registering a domain name for my (former) Minecraft server, I got both a .net and a .info, but mainly because the .info came free. :p I would really like an .io domain, but I just don't have a use for one right now.

I have to say that I've never used a country specific extension, but mainly because I'm in the US.

3. Converse Active Member

Converse

My first choice for most sites is a .com address, but I often use .org as well. I have several sites that are about small towns. Although they are not connected with the municipalities, I find that using a .us address gives the impression of an official site without my having to imply it. That can help, because I sometimes find them linked to from places that ordinarily link only to official municipal sites. I do have some .net and even a .info domain, but I wouldn't choose those for anything that I plan on promoting heavily. Since they're cheap, I often buy them though, and simply redirect them to the .com or .org address that the site is on. The new extensions are tempting but I don't have the time or the money to enter that market. I did buy directory.reviews however, although I haven't done anything with it yet.

4. Billy New Member

Billy

I like the coms, orgs, and nets, not particularly fond of the infos though, because they look really spammy. Probably because you can get them for a lot cheaper, and some guys spam the heck out of them, trying to get them to rank.

5. Shan Barton New Member

Shan Barton

.coms are the most popular. I personally use a few of them for my blogs. .info domains on the other hand are ideal for sites that offer guidance, tips, insights and information regarding specific areas of interest. I think people are now embrassing the use of different domains names unlike in the past when evryone wanted a .com domain.

6. particle1 New Member

particle1

The majority of what I have are .coms. I have a few .nets and one .me. Of course the .net and .me were purchased because they were highly competitive keyword laden names that had been scooped up along time ago. I've heard that dashes are okay for domains, but I tried a few even as .coms and they didn't amount to anything. Right now, I wouldn't buy anything but a .com, especially if it was a site I was trying to brand and build into something that I was hoping to get really big.

7. Converse Active Member

Converse

Although there may be advantages to having a .com over another type of extension, mostly it depends on what you have on it. I have a .info site that is doing fairly well, and I've spent less than a hundred dollars marketing it. Still, the fact that it has a .info extension doesn't seem to have interfered with its placement or traffic in any way.

8. fastreplies Original Member

fastreplies

Original

PEOPLE, WHAT DA HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

Even 2 years ago this subject would make a VERY LITTLE SENSE
    and now when there are almost 500 new TLDs and more are coming
    every day .com is as good as .link or .club or .guru or any other
    domain you can use these days.

So your .info and .net are 2 years old news and you are 2 years behind
    the Internet development, fact which I'm sure you knew before posting
    cause as it's happen a question Trolls are using in low quality forums.

9. calebmelvern New Member

calebmelvern

@fastreplies What's wrong with such a discussion? The OP merely asked what others use as TLDs.

I mostly own .com domains. I have a couple of .net and one .org. I'm interested in trying the new TLDs, but I always seem to forget about it whenever I register a domain.

10. fastreplies Original Member

fastreplies

Original

Yeah right, asking in this and a half of dozens of other Forums.

:rolleyes:

fastreplies

11. tasha New Member

tasha

I prefer .com as it is the most common one to use and people remember the rest of the site easier. It depends on you and what you prefer I guess.

12. mdaudali New Member

mdaudali

I used to use .co.cc since it was free, then I moved on to .co.uk since the name of my website was only available in .co.uk (someone had purchased the .com one for parking). .com is definitely a safer option in terms of getting clients and keeping clients since it's so common and memorable.

13. Sly14Cat New Member

Sly14Cat

Well living in Canada, it's a very good idea to invest in a .ca domain if you ever plan on selling something from here, especially locally.
    When I see a company with a .ca domain, I get the idea that they at least invested time into making sure that Canadians are served along with whoever else from other countries. There are a few other top level domains, but .ca is my favourite.

14. Converse Active Member

Converse

Interestingly, .us is not used in that manner in the United States.

15. toradrake Member

toradrake

Someone asked me a question that I really could not give them a answer to. Maybe someone here would know the answer.

For SE's does the extension .whatever really effect your ranking. Like for a streaming tv site, if your extension is .ph instead of .tv does that have an impact on placement and acceptance?

I thought it was a really good question because there are sites that are one thing but their extensions make them appear as if they are something else. I actually came across a profiting business site once whose extension was .org which makes you think nonprofit organization.

16. Converse Active Member

Converse

There is probably no effect at all. If so, the effect would be minimal. Even when someone else has already registered the more common extension, if you provide more content, your site is likely to overtake the other.

I have sites for which I have registered a .org or a .net extension, because there were already sites online using the preferred .com extension. Yet, once my sites were built up enough to overtake the .com domain in content, it would overtake them in the SERPs as well.

SEO people don't like to hear it because that would put a lot of them out of business but most people who come looking for search engine optimization area actually in need of content management or, often, simply content.

17. Shamzblueworld New Member

Shamzblueworld

I have .com and .net, and also a .pk, I have used .info in the past too, but I would always prefer a .com over any other and if it is not available then I would go for .net.

18. Billy New Member

Billy

I live in Canada as well, and have tried ranking coms locally, and they rank great for the keyword in Google.com, but not for Google.ca. I assume that if I had a .ca domain it would rank much better.

19. jblogger New Member

jblogger

I think .COM is the most recognizable domain extension. I have only one blog with .COM but I also like .NET and .IO extensions for tech related sites.

20. Billy New Member

Billy

Yeah, I agree about the .com. If I had to choose, I'd go with the .org and .biz next. It's really hard for me to say what looks spammy because I'm an internet marketer, I don't know if your average Joe would feel the same way or not. Sometimes, I like to watch how my Dad interacts with the Internet, to see how the average person surfs.