1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

What is your main source of online income?

Discussion in 'Monetizing' started by calebmelvern, Oct 29, 2014.

1. calebmelvern New Member

calebmelvern

@Converse I agree with you, as that is what I do as well. However, I know a few people who do not recreate the site via the Wayback Machine. They just install a plugin to point all links to the homepage and retain all link juice. They repurpose the old domains based on the niche they're targeting and this strategy works really well for them.

2. starlight22 New Member

starlight22

My main source of online income is from doing various writing activities which I really enjoy. I just started doing blogging recently and I'm able to write about any topic I'm interested in. There are so many ways a person can earn money from home and I have plans for my future to get a book of poetry published plus more.

3. SadieMarie New Member

SadieMarie

I currently use blogjob for my blog. I get payed per posting. I am also able to monetize it through chitika and qadabra. I make a little bit through those two sites but my main money maker is just the website blogjob.

4. Scorp Member

Scorp

Happy to see a fellow transcriber :)

My main source of income is transcription. I mostly work for 1 company, where I make enough money to pay the bills, put food on the table and all that. And sometimes I work for another company too, but they pay too low, so I rarely do any work for them.

However, I also earn a little something with some PTC sites, one captcha site (I rarely visit it though), Article Writing, and I also have 2 little blogs that make some passive Adfly money, but those earnings are so pathetic, I won't even mention them. However, they are Completely passive, and those are cents I didn't have before. haha

My goal is to build websites that will grow into authority sites and produce income from ads and products (Affiliate and my own). And I also want to build an email list, because as I've seen written many times, the money is in the list.

But my mail goal is to build Passive Income Streams, which don't just depend on one place. For example, just Google, or just Facebook. Because that means that my income depends on 1 website, which can ban me, de-index me, and basically has the ability to kill my income overnight.

Golden Rule of Thumb: Never put all of your eggs in one basket!

5. CyberGal New Member

CyberGal

I tend to do a few different things just to make ends meet...

I do some rev share writing and have a couple of blogs of my own. I just started doing this though and have been told that it takes about 3 months to actually get this up and making money.

I make about $15 - $20/day doing different things, mainly surveys though, on mTurk.

I also do a lot of transcription. Fortunately, I can type 75wpm.

It all adds up even though I seem to be dipping into a lot of different baskets. However, I've found that to be necessary since you never know when a site is going to close up shop on you.

6. ducklord Member

ducklord

Unfortunately, none. I'm trying to find a way to make a living as a tech writer / blogger, but living in Greece and not having prior works to show in English makes it hard to find clients. They're counted on the fingers of one hand up to now. As for other ways of making money online, most don't seem to support my country, others are too competitive and already full with well-known (there) "pro's", making it hard to start from scratch.

If anyone has any ideas (or offers), I'm all ears.

7. CyberGal New Member

CyberGal

In all honesty it's that way everywhere ducklord. I know that it's probably even more challenging since you're in Greece but I'm in the U.S. and keep getting underbid when I only charge 1c per word. I keep getting out there because I'm determined to make a business for myself as a writer without having to use the content mills because they suck anymore. It does take a lot of work and the only thing you can do is keep at it. This is my second time doing this. I let go of my last writing business about a year and a half ago due to my health and the fact that things were changing so fast I couldn't keep up. I used to make really good money from this and know that it's only a matter of time before I do so again. Good luck!

8. ducklord Member

ducklord

@CyberGal Well, nope, I don't think it's THAT hard in the US, "to make (some) money online" that is, 'cause here we can't get on Amazon's mTurk, for example, that can bring from $5 to $50 to anyone who dedicates some time on it. We don't have many opportunities in services like ClickWorker (I was months on it and haven't even seen ONE single opportunity to make a single buck), plus "being Greek" you can't find easily work "that has to do with English", even if you do know the language*, 'cause "you're not a native speaker" and thus deemed worse than, say, a 16 year old American (that could be way worse than you in his use of his own language but, hey, "he's native").

* I'm not saying I have a purrr-fect knowledge of the English language, far from it. Just that when "you know how to write" (since I've worked as a writer), meaning "to create a structure and present an easily read and understandable text", AND you can do it, at least basically, in English as well, you can have better results creating copy than someone who's vocabulary seems to solely contain variations of "cool" and "yo, bro". And yet, nope. "You're Greek, there's the door, we'll use Zipper, the bell-boy, who grew in the jungle communicating with monkeys - but he's the latest in a long line of proud Americans, so, yeah, he'll manage. With time and lots of bananas.".

I hope I don't come off as offensive, I'm just venting my frustration here... :-(

And of course I don't mean "I'm better than ALL Americans and English and whatever people from wherever that speak English as well", but I guess you get how I mean it: me, with, say, 50% knowledge of the English language and 75% knowledge of everything-tech, should be considered better suited to write tutorials for using computers than somebody with 75% knowledge of the English language and ZERO knowledge of anything tech related. And yet...

AARGhh...

I need a job...

Fast...

9. Converse Active Member

Converse

@ducklord, I'd say your command of the English language is just ducky, which is an actual, though seldom used, word that can mean fine, good, satisfactory, or even excellent. Like most everything else in English, it can mean a lot of other stuff too. Unfortunately, the U.S. education system gets more expensive every year, but produces poorer results, so being a native American speaker doesn't say much. In fact, a Native American speaker might speak Algonquian, Arawakan, Iroquoian, or Sioux, except that most of the true Native Americans have been assimilated, as far as the language is concerned.

From what I've seen in this forum, I don't know why anyone would be unwilling to buy textual content from you. I am about tapped out right now but I buy content every now and then, when I run out of ideas of my own, so when it comes time to do so, I think I'll start a thread here in order to solicit it.

10. ducklord Member

ducklord

@Converse Thanks for the positive comment on my command of The Beast - I'm trying to tame it for years, mainly by watching and re-watching Monty Python (I hate it when other Greeks don't "get" the "pure English" jokes their insanity gave us) :)

You're right of course regarding your "American Language" comment (English is actually the last language anyone would expect to be spoken "over there" five - six hundred years ago, and yet, here it is). And I have to confess that it seems strange and sad to me, as both a foreigner living elsewhere AND "a-dude-approaching-the-age-where-he'll-shout-to-kiddos-to-leave-his-yard-while-waving-a-stick" that only lately do Americans seem to have started to respect their true heritage and the fact that "those-called-indians-until-lately" are actually the offspring of the "true" Americans.

But I guess nothing matters, anyway, 'cause we're all a new generation whose true "fatherland" is the net. That sounded too futuristic, didn't it? We're living it, though - many people would peffer to go live somewhere else, even if it was in another country, than having to stop using the net and their smartphones. It's just that we're in the process of realizing it.

And that's until The Machines rear their ugly metal heads and turn us all to batteries. We're getting there :-D

Converse likes this.
  11. Converse Active Member

Converse

Oh, the English! They don't know the first thing about the English language, with all of the extra vowels that they insist on throwing into their words.

ducklord likes this.
  12. ducklord Member

ducklord

Say no more, say no more! We should show them, show them how it's done, all of us non-English English-speaking people we, for they don't get it!

On a different but similar note, English is a maaaaad (pronounced like how a sheep pronounces... well... almost anything, really) language. Greek is a "phonetic" language, where each letter coresponds to a sound. It's a case of "what you see written, that's the way to pronounce something". "I" is pronounced "ee" - always. Not sometimes "ee", sometimes "ah-ee", other times "eh".

English is jarring in that matter, and depending on where you are words have a totally different pronounciation. The language remains the same, but depending on where you drink your beer they may call you "m - 8" or "might", or even "meet". And that's just "mate". My wife knows how to read and understand English, and can understand what she hears on channels like Deutsche Welle (did I type that correctly?!) where, as mainly German dudes and dudettes, they speak it more "slowly" and "clearly" for their audience to understand. But when we watch a movie with, say, Statham, the only thing she understands from the "dialog" may be "I don't love you" and "boom" :p

13. Converse Active Member

Converse

People from one part of the United states might have trouble understanding what someone from another part of the country is talking about. Mostly, it's a matter of accent but sometimes it's the things they say, as well. For example, in the state of Maine, you are likely to hear someone say, in agreement, "So don't I," when "So do I" would make a whole lot more sense.

I grew up in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, lived in Iowa for a while, then in Southern California for twelve years, on the Mexican border of Texas for twenty years, then moved to Maine, and spent a couple of years in North Carolina where I went for work. Each time, it took a while to catch on to the accents and the idioms.

14. ducklord Member

ducklord

Yeah, I know, at least from noticing different ways characters speak in (american) movies and series, different perks. Lately I'm hooked to Orphan Black - don't know if you've heard about it, it's an awesome scifi series. Anyways, its protagonist, Tatiana Maslany, has got me floored with her seemingly unique ability to play two, three or even four characters in the same scene and, by using a combination of different pronounciations, body language and, of course, make-up, convince you that she IS, indeed, a bunch of different characters.

It's strange how little changes in the way we put together and pronounce words and phrases, while speaking the same language, lead to such profound, easily observable but not as easily identifiable differences.

15. Converse Active Member

Converse

Yes, I like it.

It's also interesting to find that we can pick things up without having to actually study them. When I first moved to Maine, I was frequently unable to figure out what someone was saying to me, particularly those with the heavy Maine accept. Now it just seems normal, only I don't talk that way.

Those who either study it, or are gifted with a unique ability, are able to tell where accents come from, sometimes with remarkable accuracy. I met someone in California who not only knew that I was from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (as opposed to the state's Lower Peninsula), but said that he detects something of Wisconsin in my accent as well. I am from the UP, but I grew up only about fifteen miles north of the Wisconsin border. I can tell if someone is from the South or from the North, but I can't pinpoint specific parts of the country like that.

16. ducklord Member

ducklord

@Converse Me, as "a Greek hearing people talk English", can't - understand "where the accent is from", I mean. It's not that "I'm Greek", just that, as you mentioned, to start "getting" the difference you have to actually experience them first hand, to live somewhere where a different accent or, generally, "way of speaking a language" engulfs you, where you hear it every day.

In Greece, we hear English when talking to foreigners (doesn't happen everyday - for most of us, not even once a year, we're not all... travel agents) and, more usually, when watching a movie or hearing a song. That's not "being exposed to a language", more like a... "free sample" of something. As a result, most of us read, write and can understand (and, up to a point, speak) what you'd call "generic English".

I'm a bit more fortunate than most in that I had a great English teacher as a kid and I was a... er... geek. The teacher helped in that, in contrast to almost all teachers I met in my life, he preferred "teaching by example and experience". Instead of making me read and study, he preferred to expose me in the language itself. We talked and talked about whatever came to mind, with him correcting my mistakes and "guiding" me to the correct way of using English to express myself. But being a geek helped even more.

Since the language of games was always (mostly) English, to be able to play them, understand their stories and get deep in their scenarios, you also had to understand it. The language "they talked in". Other people didn't care - they just wanted to blow the space rocks up or beat the bad guys up. I, on the other hand, did. I played mostly adventure games, rich in stories, characters and dialogue, and was thus exposed more to the English language from an early age. Later I found myself reading "foreign" (to me, as a Greek), gaming and computer mags, since then the Internet was unheard of and that was the way to learn news about your favorite hobby.

All this helped me ace my first English diploma and get the second (along with a teacher's degree, back then) without ever having to open a single book to study.

But that's old history, 'cause I'm 37, and I was fortunate compared only to other Greeks of my age. Now, English is taught at an earlier age and I guess most (Greek) teenagers are already at the same level as me and even better :)

17. vespid49 New Member

vespid49

If I want to make a little extra cash, sometimes I go on transcribing sites. What I do there is listen to audio files and transcribe it into text. While it's not particularly well paying, I still do it if it means I can get some small change that I can spend on a couple drinks or something. It's pretty mindless work, but I enjoy it nonetheless because it helps my typing and sound recognition skills. It sucks whenever there's an audio file that I can't decipher, though.

18. tasha New Member

tasha

I love writing and my sister enjoys graphic design so there are so many sites to visit to make a little money with what you love to do. It wont give you a salary but it will give you some extra cash on a rainy day.

19. Jason76 Member

Jason76

Right now, I make money by being an affiliate of a major job website. My second largest source of online income is forum posting. Hopefully, in the future, online math tutoring, a non-affiliate job website I own, and advertising on my internet marketing forum will bring some cash. I'd say first, the math tutoring idea will explode into something big.

20. kazzak New Member

kazzak

I've been doing affiliate marketing for few years as my main income, but I've taken the occasional translation job here and there - sadly at the moment when I'd need money there's not any available so I have to look into something else.

I also think I've currently been hit with the problem of the unstability of affiliate marketing, but guess from the bottom there's only one way so hopefully things will start to look better in the near future!