1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

What was your first online job?

Discussion in 'Monetizing' started by athena02, Oct 30, 2014.

1. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

Yeah, that is basically what they are. You beg people to give you this job because you are so 'qualified'. For me, it's hard to get a job like that because I'm still in college so I don't have a degree like all the other people on the site. I tried those sites, but they just aren't worth it because there are so many people all looking at the same job. Yeah, I tried to write on Bubblews also and they did not pay. I had heard that it was such a good site that I wanted to try it out, turns out it wasn't that good. I am on Fiverr right now and have been making some gigs from people buying from me which is good. I will have to try out iWriter though

Scorp likes this.
  2. Scorp Member

Scorp

Yeah. Try iWriter. But again, you start low and work your way up on iWriter. So eventually you can be making more money than initially.

Also, I forgot, post some gigs on SEOClerks too. It's like Fiverr. Also, there's a new promising site I came across called digesale.com. They only take selective sellers, so you sort of have to apply to become a seller. I don't know, give it a shot if you want. Digesale is also a microgig type site, like Fiverr and SEOClerks.

And lastly, you can also give Hubpages a shot. It's something like Bubblews and Triond, except much bigger/better/more legit.

3. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

I just saw that I had an account on there, and I signed in. The only problem is that it keeps telling me that I have to get someone to rate me. In order for that to happen, then I have to pay someone. Is that normal? Because that kind of seems like a waste if they are making you do that. That SEOClerks sounds like something that I will have to try out. I'm sure that it would be a good site. I have also tried out HubPages, but I heard that you have to be a really good writer in order to be published. If not, then I might have to give that a shot.

Scorp likes this.
  4. Scorp Member

Scorp

Are you talking about Fiverr or Digesale?

But it's the same thing. You can pay someone to buy your gig and give you a good rating, but you don't have to. It's just easier to get more sales after a new potential client sees that you already had one or more sales and have a good rating. That's why people buy their own gigs on there by paying someone to buy it for them. And the same thing applies to SEOClerks too.

Yes, HubPages is kinda difficult. But you can give it a shot, you write nice clean correct English. Unlike myself :p

5. maverick New Member

maverick

My first job was to create a small script in PHP that was downloading a file from a remote server. I had to code a custom parser in order to give back the result in a proper way and more important human-readable. I was paid quite good for the amount of work I did I must say ($20) as it took me like 3-4 hours ot make the whole thing working like the client wanted. I found this job on oDesk and from then I really started to be more confident about freelancing stuff...

6. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

I was talking about iWriter where it told me that I had to pay in order to get a rating on the site. Sometimes I have a hard time getting used to the sites, and just don't know how to use them. I tried looking this up, but then found nothing about it. I have already had two sales with Fiverr which is pretty cool. I mean I just started basically, so that's not too shabby. I will have to try out HubPages when I have the time. I'll just have to think of something that I can write about.

7. rabst New Member

rabst

Mine was writing (a lot like this, but with the 'revenue' (Google AdWords money) shared only with each thread's OP rather than 'splitting it up evenly' like myLot tried BUT NO LONGER DOES) on Xomba.

One night in my college-years, I was sitting at home. And I thought to myself, 'I have a computer; why don't I just SEARCH THE `NET for how to make money?' I found Xomba and Associated Content (which is now Yahoo! Voices). And I learned that--with online advertising--it's not how much you write, it's how many people read each piece!

8. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

If only it was still that easy. I find that sometimes it can be hard to try and find something online. So many companies just want to take your time so that they can get the information from you. I know that there are still some good online sites that you can use. I have been using some, but I had a hard time finding them. I'm also finding sites that were good a year ago are not so good anymore. I wish that it wasn't like that though because then there would still be some good ones out there.

rabst likes this.
  9. rabst New Member

rabst

It's because there's a disconnect between 'earning money online' and 'earning money In Real Life (IRL).' IRL, you earn money by-the-hour-spent-working. If you produce more or -less, it doesn't really change your salary. (I mean yes, producing more earns you a better chance of getting a higher salary and -producing less earns you a higher chance of getting fired; but neither one with a Quid pro Quo-factor of 'work "this much" and change salary "that much."')

Online, you can write 'bare minimum word-count' or 'hours-&-hours of typing from years-&-years of research' and still get the exact same credit-amount. and both with almost no regard to 'average wage' or 'cost-of-living' (which is why they say, "if you want money, go out and get a job!")

danielle davidson likes this.
  10. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

That is true. I think that for some reason there are people who think you can earn fast money online. I have been on quite a few forums where people are saying they want to find work online where they can earn $10-20 and I don't think that they realize how much work they will have to do. Sometimes I think that you have to work harder just to find something online, than you would if you got a real job. Right now this is just a way to make some extra money during the summer so I don't expect a ton of money from just working online. I mean you're totally right, just writing a little you can't make that much. You have to work very hard if you want to make good money. I have to agree, especially when it regards the people who are trying to make all this money online and come to sites asking people how to make that money. You will make more from workingg at McDonalds.

rabst likes this.
  11. Scorp Member

Scorp

But McDonalds will never offer the same potential for earnings!

What's the max you can get yearly in McDonalds? Even if you become a manager or something, what's the max you can make? Even with selling some chips and burgs and pocketing some cash or something like that, what's the absolutely max you can make per year? I don't know that, but the internet is MORE!

In potential, the internet is a clear winner, all the way. However, if you need a job to put food on the table, pay rent, stuff like that, then go out there and do what you have to do, get a job at McDonalds, just never be content with that. Keep working for something better and bigger, and if it doesn't work out, at least you tried and you should be able to live with that. If it does work out, well, then the sky's the limit. And in today's world, I believe the small guy has the best chances of making it big online as opposed to offline. But that's just me and I could be wrong.

12. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

Well, that is true but the thing is that working there isn't supposed to be a way to support yourself. While I'm sure that there are many people who wish that they could. But I do get what you're saying. That is one reason why I do love the internet. I mean you can earn as much or as little as you want. You can keep earning by working as much as you want. Which is I'm sure what most people want. I do think that since there are so many ways that you can make, it's one of the best way to also get some money.

rabst and Scorp like this.
  13. Scorp Member

Scorp

I agree with everything you said.

But it's far from easy. If someone's starting out online not knowing sites, what shortened words stand for (like PTC is paid to click, ROI is return on investment), stuff like that, and they don't have a mentor or someone to help them out on that journey, it's really time-consuming. There's a huge learning curve.

While one can start online and make some good money, most people won't be able to live from it any time soon, so someone without any money and a way to support themselves, they may want to get a job and do online in their spare time.

14. rabst New Member

rabst

Right. 'Making Money Online' (the pirate's MMO-game ... arrr! :rolleyes:) is a lot like 'the horse-races' (and/or some LEGAL way to make money from betting ... like the lottery or the stock-market or some other 'game' where it's a bit of a "coin-toss" but if you've got a 'system' and a little work & some persistence then you can 'hit it big.')

And people who do 'hit it big' and do it full-time talk about how they spent 'years' "eating the Ramen Noodles and slipping further into debt."

I think of it the same way I think minimum-wage is supposed to work---you start doing the minimum-wage job while you're still living with parents (and/or are pretty-much 'living off of someone else'), and you GET (not 'you have a "right" to,' but you ask for- and receive) raises as you need them.

I don't know where people got the idea that "they're lucky to have whatever job they're given by 'the grownups' o_O." Does no one tell their children that they will 'go out and get jobs, go and get raises, spouses, promotions, houses, cars, investments, etc.'?

... anyway, that's off on a tangent. But maybe that's the kind of thinking you need to ... inspire your friends to go out and GET some money! (to put in your own pocket ;))

Scorp likes this.
  15. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

Oh yes, when I started out online I had the worst time trying to find a site that I would be able to work on. I would try everything and I would spend all day trying to find something. I mean it got so bad that my mom and boyfriend would be like don't kill yourself over this, you don't need to worry about making money. The thing is that I really wanted to work this summer doing something that I liked. I wasn't able to get a 'real' job because I'm moving soon so someone wouldn't hire me for a month between school and moving. Working online has been able to save me though. I do think that working online in your spare time can be a good way to just get some extra money.

Scorp likes this.
  16. chinomoreno New Member

chinomoreno

I am actually interested of having an online job (sideline)? I want to know how does it feel to have one.
    I mean just for an experience, but I don't have a skill in writing or web design. So I am thinking about the best thing I can offer online that I can make money with?

17. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

Honestly, you don't have to have skill in order to write online. Yes, there are some sites that will want you to have perfect grammar, but you can just stay away from those. I'm still in college so there isn't much that I am able to offer either. There are sites that you can post on forums for. That would be one way you would be able to make money, or Fiverr. I don't know if you heard of that before but you basically make a gig and with that gig people can buy it. When they do you just do it for them and you can make money. Usually $5, but sometimes more.

18. Scorp Member

Scorp

As Danielle said, you can do article writing and/or forum commenting.

Fiverr and other sites like it are great places to list offers of things you can do. I mean, anything can be sold on those sites. You can go to Fiver and see what other people are offering to get ideas about what you could sell, and then see which of those things you can do, and make offers.

For article writing you can also use Fiverr, and you can also try iWriter.

A little microjobs site called Microworkers is also legit. A phone reviews site called Humanatic is also legit. Also a transcription site called Scribie.

There's a lot of things you can do. Out of all I mentioned, Fiverr and other sites like Fiverr definitely have the highest potential in terms of earnings. Scribie comes second. The rest are small earners. Well, in all honesty I've never used iWriter extensively, so maybe it can be a good earner too. You'll have to try and see for yourself.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    rabst likes this.
  19. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

Yes, those are some good sites that you could try out. I find that iWriter is another good site that you could try out. I have used that one before, and it worked out pretty well. I would say that these ones that were just named are the best ones online. There are a lot of other sites out there that are scams though. So, you just have to be careful of those.

20. chinomoreno New Member

chinomoreno

I will look into it Scorp! Thanks!
    I think I'll go and start with forum commenting, that's the only thing I think I will be able to deliver for now :)