1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

What's the general opinion on this search engine?

Discussion in 'Blekko' started by GlacialDoom, Nov 15, 2014.

1. GlacialDoom New Member

I have to be honest, I haven't even heard about it until I saw that it has its own (empty) category on this forum. Given that I never tried it before, I decided now's the time. I went to its site and here are my impressions after a few searches:

1. It's SLOW. It might be my computer, but it takes about 2 seconds to find search results, whereas even Bing takes less than one second.

2. It has a really weird design to it, but truth be told, it's pretty handy. The search results are all organised by categories, and you can expand the category you want. This is a feature I wouldn't mind if Google or Microsoft added to their engines.

3. The homepage feels...blank. I don't really know why, but even compared to Google, it feels blank.

Overall, if they improve the speed, I think I would start using it.

Now, I would like to hear your opinions on Blekko.

Converse likes this.
  2. toradrake Member

I tested it out and... no, it's not your computer. The site is a bit slow. What I do like about the search is that everything is "boxed off" so it is easier to distinguish one from another and they are listed by category. So rather than click on each link to see if that is the site you are looking for, it tells you what category it is in. You click on the category of the subject you are looking for and it gives you sites only in that category. Makes for faster searching in a way.

3. Converse Active Member

I don't think it's intended to replace your favorite search engine. It's sort of a cross between a web directory and a search engine, in that human beings determine which sites they consider sufficiently reliable and useful enough to be included in its database. However, the sites are indexed and updated like a search engine. Individual users are also able to filter out sites that they don't consider useful to them and to suggest others. I like it, but I haven't used it enough to realize its maximum potential.

4. SimplySidy Member

I came across this "Blekko" from this forum. I tried it and I am quite happy about the following things -

1. It is less clutter here - the design looks pleasing and is not stuffed with page numbers, adverts exist but, if I go with @Converse - they might be their directory users - still, they appeared only at the top and there were only 2 of them on my search. So that was good.

2. It uses Ajax and jQuery - so it is modern and easy for handhelds.

3. The last one that I really appreciated - the SERPs when clicked led me directly to the site. There was no redirection as it happens with all search queries on Google. Maybe they arent doing much to keep track of which site was clicked by the user or anything like that - so the searches are more private. I really appreciated this part.

The only thing which @GlacialDoom and @toradrake mentioned about "the speed of the Display of SERPs" - I have a very slow internet connection (a datacard at times) - and let me tell you, Google takes a while to load properly and also, the results (though generated quick - basing on their stats at the top) take a while to get displayed. So I did not find much difference using Blekko at my speed, and maybe I am biased ;) at this moment (owing to #3 above on my response), I think Blekko is a better experience.

Converse likes this.
  5. Billy New Member

Hmmm...I just gave it a shot and it definitely needs to improve. I typed in a keyword "how to get someone back" this keyword could be meant for the relationship niche (get ex back) or it can be for revenge. Half of the results that Blekko gave me were for back pain.

6. GlacialDoom New Member

Haha, that is pretty hilarious. I have to say, I only searched for some pretty general things, and it gave me what I needed. I didn't think about searching more complex things, so I have completely went over that point.

7. CyberGal New Member

I honestly never heard of this search engine before reading about it here. I don't have much of an opinion of it as I'd really have to use it for a few days before forming an opinion. I'm always interested in a search engine that could challenge Google and give them a run for their money though.

8. calebmelvern New Member

The only positive thing I can say about Blekko is that it looks better than the other search engines I've used. In terms of user experience, though, it lags far behind Google and Bing. While their results page looks really nice, I think scrolling through the list of results can be annoying. And the results themselves are often times irrelevant as well.

9. Billy New Member

It gives me more respect for Google, developing a search engine that can determine the intent of the user is pretty complex. I didn't really think f it before.

10. calebmelvern New Member

And this is why I try to use a different search engine (mostly Bing) so they can also have more data to play with. Google has tons of users, so it's easier for them to conduct their studies. You know, I want to see another search engine at least come close to G--in terms of user base and quality.

11. xTinx New Member

Blekko's a relatively new search engine so I can understand why it's slow. It has yet to perfect its system. Maybe benchmark from Google, Yahoo or Bing? I have just tested it out. It's not super slow, but just a little bit lagging. I'm sure this problem will be corrected in the future.

12. calebmelvern New Member

That's not the real problem, though. The biggest turn off is that you will often get irrelevant results. Beats the point of using a search engine.

13. Rainman New Member

I'd never used Blekko but decided to test it out today. And here are the results:

For broad search terms, Blekko did a good job finding what I was looking for. But I hardly ever conduct such searches these days. So I went a level down and used this search query: "download avi movies." I usually use that to test how good a search engine is. All the results Blekko returned were irrelevant.

If you are looking for something obscure then it would be better to use another [better] search engine.

14. Billy New Member

Yeah, it's pretty bad when you need to sift through the results to see what actually applies to your search. It's enough to turn anyone off who has been using Google, Bing, or Yahoo.

15. Converse Active Member

Having temporarily lost access to my Bing account, since I wasn't receiving points for using the search engine, I thought I'd try doing my job through some other search engines, after having used Bing almost exclusively for more than a year now.

I know that Bing works for me, as does Google, particularly if I access Google results through Startpage. I wasn't sure about some of the others. Well, I learned that neither DuckDuckGo or Yahoo worked well for me, so I thought I'd give Blekko a chance.

Sorry, Rich. While I love innovation, Blekko simply doesn't include the number of results that I need. On a search of Henderson, Nevada, Blekko displayed results in a sensible order but there simply weren't enough usable results. Being the second largest city in Nevada, there are a lot of potential results for this search, but very few of them were included in Blekko.

16. dyanmarie25 New Member

Honestly, I don't know anything about Blekko, thanks to this post, I have known about it. I have just tried using it earlier and it's not that bad at all, but it's not that good either. I think it's because it's pretty new and still has a lot to improve. Blekko takes too much time to show results, and the results are kind of few/limited, or is it just me? Well, who knows what lies ahead for this search engine?

17. KenBrace New Member

I haven't heard of it until now. Just tried it out and here are my thoughts.

1. Definitely slow like you mentioned.

2. It didn't give good results.

3. The list of results feels too blocked in.

I definitely like Google better. To be honest though I don't really like any other search engines besides google.