1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Yahoo Takes Major Search Partner Away From Google

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by Converse, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Converse Active Member

Converse

Not too long ago, Yahoo dumped Google in favor of Bing to supplement its own search results. Now Mozilla has made Yahoo Search the default search engine in its Firefox browser in its U.S. market.

2. Billy New Member

Billy

This could potentially get them more users, I'm curious if it will. Some people are lazy and may not bother changing their home page, while others may not know how to. Then you have less computer savy people who don't even know what a search engine is, and that there is a difference between them.

3. Converse Active Member

Converse

I think there are a lot of people who keep whatever the default search engine is.

4. Billy New Member

Billy

True. I always keep mine on Google. com, but obviously, because I'm involved in IM, I use it for research, etc.

Whenever I want to see how the average internet user behaves I just watch my family. My dad is in his 70's, so it's interesting to see how someone his age uses the internet, and the rest of my family range from the early twenties to early forties, so it's interesting to see how people use search and what their preferences are when using it.

5. toradrake Member

toradrake

Wow, she is really trying to claw Yahoo back up top. You think it will happen? With the amount of issues that Google has been having with their search Yahoo does have a chance to get up there again, but Bing is also doing strongly at the moment. What are your thoughts?

6. Converse Active Member

Converse

Both Yahoo and Bing have the resources to be contenders. Yahoo has both the advantage of being a familiar name, as well as the disadvantage of having lost its dominance once before.

7. toradrake Member

toradrake

The loss of that dominance may be the biggest thing that will hold them back from taking the top position again because the trust is lost. Once lost, it is very difficult to gain back. People are more inclined to put their trust in someone unfamiliar then one that they lost trust in.

8. Converse Active Member

Converse

One advantage that Yahoo once held was that sites that were listed in its directory would rank better in its search results as well, which was a large part of the reason why people were willing to pay $300 a year for a directory listing. Now that they are concentrating on their search again, they'll have to compete on the strength of their search results alone. Still, if they can get more of the browsers to add them as the default search, people will be inclined to at least take a look at them and, unless they find some reason not to, most won't ever change the default search engine. Sometimes I forget that this stuff is not second nature to a whole lot of people, who would need help figuring out how to change their default search engine.

9. toradrake Member

toradrake

Bing has also one advantage over Yahoo that I believe... Bing is MSN which is Microsoft which means any programs Microsoft comes out with will spread Bing. Yahoo has to convince companies to push them, Bing is already associated with the biggest one.

I know what you mean about the second nature thing. I still get flustered when I see my boyfriend, who claims to be computer savvy using a search bar like an address bar typing in the web address rather then going directly there. I also noticed that his search bars are usually what ever came with the browser, whereas when you look through my browsers (I use multiple ones out of habit from my web design days... you know when the pages sometimes worked or looked different in different browsers....), the default search is different from the one it came with. Sometimes I will use a different default for different browsers. However, right now I have them all set at Bing. It is difficult to remember that not everyone is internet/computer savvy or understand how to use their browsers or even their search engines. I call them auto-matics, because they automatically use whatever is given them and don't think to change it.

10. Converse Active Member

Converse

Yeah, my money would go on Bing as being the more likely of the two to compete well with Google. I think that Microsoft made a wise move in separating its search engine (MSN-Search) from its brand because a lot of baggage comes with Microsoft too. I think it's a matter of how much time and effort they are willing to put into it before pulling back.

When I owned an Internet cafe, people would sometimes bring their computers in to have us do things like changing their default search or other simple stuff, that I had to remind myself not to laugh at them.

11. calebmelvern New Member

calebmelvern

I don't think this will cause too much of a change. I'm not updated with the numbers but the last time I checked, Mozilla's share of the browser market has been going down. Same with IE. Chrome, meanwhile, leads the pack if I'm not mistaken. And from my observations, those who use Mozilla are more techie, and they know how to switch back to Google easily.

Ultimately, it's the search engines themselves that will determine their hold in the search market--regardless of their partnerships with popular browsers.

12. Billy New Member

Billy

The fact that they own hotmail is a big plus as well. I made my main hotmail account before gmail was popular, and because it's all set up and all of my contacts are on there, I will likely never switch. That's a big advantage for Microsoft, in that they got into email before there was a ton of competition. Now, there are millions of people who are using it just because they are too lazy to switch or are worried that someone out there has their email address and they don't want to lose contact. Even though others may have a better product. I remember when we had to delete email in hotmail, just to make room for new ones.

13. toradrake Member

toradrake

Interesting that you should mention that. I also started out with Hotmail. Now I have live mail (which is Hotmail's alter ego) and Gmail. When I switched from Hotmail to yahoo... I moved all my contacts and sent out a mass email with my new address and set up a vacation message to redirect them to my new email in case they still tried to email me at the old address. When I realized yahoo's unwillingness to allow me to attach my email to an EM Client to make access easier for me with out paying, I switched willingly to Gmail and did the same switch over process with my contacts. Then I had software and such that required me to have a Hotmail or live account for sign in and use so I opened a live account for that purpose (would have reopened Hotmail, but they do not allow for EM client without pay also). All but the yahoo and Hotmail allowed me to use an email client to access so I have them all attached to my EM and shut down my yahoo account and left my Hotmail closed. Of course Bing got pushed on me because of my live account and that is how I first got introduced to Bing.

I like to consider myself internet savvy, but there are many out there who are not. They would have been lost through all those switches and such that I went through and/or lazy to keep up with it all. Me, I want what I want and savvy enough to get it without having to pay for it so naturally I went through the issues to get it. So you make a valid point about them being lazy or worried about losing contacts. Me, I am neither so I did it all multiple times, but I understand why others would not want to because of the hassle. So naturally they just stick with whatever is given to them unless something happens that pushes them to want to leave.

14. calebmelvern New Member

calebmelvern

Interesting that the topic has switched to emails! Lol. Coincidentally, I recently changed my main email account. I ditched Gmail because of all the privacy issues. I've checked all the other popular options including Mail, GMX, Yahoo and Hotmail. I liked none of them. I then heard about Fastmail and I was impressed. It's paid, but it has a 60-day free trial. The lowest plan costs just $10/year. What I liked about it is that there are no ads at all and from what I've read, they take privacy seriously. Don't know if it's BS or not but the no-ads alone makes the annual fee worth it for me.

Back to the topic. I haven't bothered to read about this news until now because quite frankly, I imagined it wouldn't make too much of a difference. Interestingly, I just read an article stating that Yahoo has a new search engine that they'll introduce in December. Now that's something I'll keep an eye on.

15. Rainman New Member

Rainman

I agree with you. But there's another twist. It's alleged that Google let itself be outbid by it's competitors because Firefox has been performing poorly on a number of mobile platforms. Now if those who used their mobile browser were not satisfied with it's performance it follows that Google wouldn't be willing to pay more [than they did in the past] as Firefox's market share dwindles.

In any case the fact Bing and Yahoo's search results aren't the best, this new deal with Firefox isn't going to make people like Yahoo any better unless they [together with Bing] work on their search algorithms to provide users with more relevant search results.

16. Billy New Member

Billy

I was using FireFox for years, but then one day it kept freezing on me and I tried Google Chrome and I'll probably not go back. Not so much because I think Chrome is so much better, but because for me to go back I'd have to export bookmarks, etc. That's the point that I was trying to make before about the advantage of a company pioneering its way into a market, because it can be a pain to switch to another one, and people are lazy.

17. Converse Active Member

Converse

There isn't much of a difference between Bing's search results and Google's. Google includes more results but the relevant ones are too often ninety pages in. Google gave better results two years ago than it is now, while Bing (once MSN Search) has gotten better. Google usually picks up new sites quicker than Bing does, but that probably has more to do with the fact that people optimize for Google and often include their new sites in Google Webmaster Tools, but forget about Bing. Yahoo uses Bing's index but orders the results differently. I don't use Yahoo enough to notice whether it does this more efficiently or less so.

18. calebmelvern New Member

calebmelvern

I use Bing a lot, and while I agree that it has improved enormously, I wouldn't say that Bing's search results aren't too different from those of Google's. This is especially true for obscure search queries. But at the end of the day, it comes down to how a user uses search engines. In my case, I will continue to use Bing simply because Google has become increasingly annoying to use, what with all those big brands and YouTube videos dominating the SERPs.

19. toradrake Member

toradrake

Now that is new news to me. LOL. Have you heard any more on this?

All I have left to really say about Yahoo's switch from Google to Bing, it was a good move. However, I think Yahoo's failing in the past was that rather then stay their own separate entity they hooked up with another search engine to begin with. Instead, they should have kept their directory and maintained their SE and left it at that. If they had, they would not have lost their users and would still be a major contender for Google. Even though the switch to Bing was better, they need to stand on their own feet and stop leeching off of other SE. The news about Yahoo having a new search engine is good, wonder if they are finally going to stand on their own.

20. toradrake Member

toradrake

That is so funny because I had the opposite problem with chrome and firefox. I switched from chrome to firefox because I was having so many issues with chrome. Not to mention, as @Converse was saying, Chrome is linked to Google and I have an issue with their Privacy Policies.

Billy likes this.