1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Yahoo Takes Major Search Partner Away From Google

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by Converse, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Converse Active Member

The best thing that Firefox had going for it was that it was fast in comparison to the very bloated Internet Explorer. However, Firefox has itself become bloated, I think. I don't care much for Firefox or Chrome, my first choice in a browser being Safari, and my second choice being Opera. Nevertheless, being the default search engine in Firefox can't hurt, although there is some truth to the argument that anyone capable of switching their default browser to Firefox to begin with is probably someone who will have no trouble switching their default search engine if they wish. Still, most people will probably use it a few times before doing so and, if Yahoo is giving good results, may not bother. It's been a while since I've used Yahoo though, so I don't know how good the results are. Personally, if I am going to use a search engine powered by Bing, I'll use Bing since they give me gift cards and Yahoo doesn't.

2. Billy New Member

I've used FF a few times since then, because I was using someone else's computer and it seems to be a lot better, but I'm fairy comfortable with Chrome right now.

3. Converse Active Member

4. Mockingbird New Member

I use IE in work with my default search engine set for Google, recently I had to use a co-workers computer and they use Bing, I have to tell you I do think there is a difference and I do not like Bing at all. Now maybe it is true my panties were all in a bunch because it was not my computer, but I did walk away wondering how this person got anything done.

I refer yahoo for news, especially since the new updates on both MSN and CNN. I tried quite by accident a search up in the search box and i was far from pleased. It feels like two steps forward and one step back with Yahoo. In Yahoo's defense the search in the Finance section rocks big time. Maybe it all depends what it is your searching for?

5. toradrake Member

Excellent news... Google needs a bit of a kick in the pants for a change. They got way to big to fast and think to much of themselves. I am telling you, they are stretching themselves to thin putting their hands in too many cookie jars. A rubber band only stretches so far before it either snaps or rebounds back. If they are not careful they will have a lot of problems later.

6. Aree Wongwanlee New Member

Aree Wongwanlee

I think the war is over. Google wins. I am not just being pessimistic about things. I have seen such things happening. Remember when there was such a thing as DR DOS. DR DOS was created by Digital Research. In the beginning, DR was the king with their CPM. Then Microsoft took over with MS DOS. DR tried to make a comeback with DR DOS. They produced something better than MS DOS. They gave it away free. It didn't work. DR DOS died. MS DOS won that war. The same thing will happen with search engines.

7. Rainman New Member

I read it somewhere on the net that this war, if war it is, is going to hurt Bing more than it hurts Google. Yahoo is riding on Bing's good search results and passing them on as their own. People will believe that Yahoo has improved their algorithms and they'll start choosing Yahoo instead of Bing anytime. Meanwhile they are working on their search algorithms so when they dump Bing, they'll have got some of those who used Bing and they might keep them if their search engine is better at finding what users want. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Nonetheless, I like how things have turned out. Google needs to be reminded from time to time that any king can be dethroned.

8. Converse Active Member

Yahoo got its start with its web directory. Its search engine has never been particularly good, which is why they have felt the need to partner with someone else for the past several years. Surely the company has the funds to be able to afford something better, so I suppose it's possible, although people will be surprised to see it from Yahoo. Even when they supplemented their results with Google, you'd get a better search experience from Google. Today, the same is true of Bing.