1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Youtube Likes-Views

Discussion in 'Social Media Marketing' started by Scorp, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Scorp Member

Yesterday I was working on some Transcription work, and it had to do specifically with Youtube.

Now, obviously I can't share exactly what it was about, due to the confidentiality agreement, but there was one thing that made an impression on me, and I wanted to see what you guys think.

So the guy in the video basically said that he doesn't care how many Views a video has. He'll watch the video either way, no matter if it has a lot of views or just a few of them.

And he also said that the Liked do matter for him. Basically, if a video has a lot of likes then he's more likely to like it himself than if a video has a few or no likes.

Now, this put a smile on my face because this sort of wins the argument for those that say that you should buy or get "fake" Followers, Likes, Views, etc. Because when the real viewers land on your account, or your video, they will see that you have a lot of likes, or a big following, and then they're more likely to engage with you in some way too - by liking your video for example...

What do you think? Do you stand on the side of the "whitehat" gurus who would want you to only gain traction through promotion and *cough* facebook ads *cough*, or are you open to buying/getting "fake" followers etc?

cwvps likes this.
  2. toradrake Member

That is a good question and to be honest, I don't know how to answer that. In a way I guess I would want both. The fake followers to attract people who are more concerned with likes and the real viewers for the other half of the spectrum. No reason you can't have both.

Scorp likes this.
  3. SimplySidy Member

I never support or recommend buying the likes or followers. So that is out of question for me. The only thing I support is do your own promotion using the ethical ways. If your content is really good, it will be known - no doubt.

Now with the instance mentioned - It is his criteria for whether to view or not and I agree, many may be using the same standards. For me, I will watch a video through to the end, if I find it useful - no matter whether there are likes or dislikes or even the horrible comments on that page. And I also believe that you will agree that there are similar people like me out there too. At end, it is a fair world where everyone has his own preferences and biases. Unfortunately, with this scenario, there is no fixed guideline on what should be the best way out :)

4. KenBrace New Member

Well if you're going to go by likes then you should go by the percentage because the amount of ratings is dependent completely upon the amount of views that the video has. The important thing is what the ratio between likes and dislikes is. That will be the best indicator of how good the video is.

I don't really pay attention to either myself. I just look for a video that has a relevant title and thumbnail and go with it. If I don't like what I'm watching then I press back and try another.

5. tasha New Member

I need likes and hits on my youtube site and I just don't have the ability to get people there. I am trying to sell music and promote artists but this seems to be the hardest part of the job....getting connected with the online social media networks sucks and youtube hits are forget it!! unless you pay for it.

6. Rainman New Member

Most people are like sheep. Yeah that sounds insulting but it is a fact. That's why they'll always do what others do. If they see a video has got some likes, no matter how horrible that vid is, they'll still click like.

Sure not everyone does that but I know people who'll click "like" before they even watch a video. So I'd recommend paying for likes as long as you don't spend too much money on it. Or at the very least you should experiment and see if you get better results then.

7. mr_bucks New Member

There was a study on indy music website where users would listen to songs and and then vote on them. The operator of the site decides to slightly game the votes to see what would happen. Songs which had less votes, got less listeners, songs with more votes got more listeners.

Again the song had to have some quality, but if the songs where equal, the votes where the deciding factor.

Rainman likes this.
  8. Rainman New Member

It reminds of a writing contest in which I was a contestant. Even though the short story I submitted was horrible [and I knew it] I ended up being a semi-finalist because I'd got a few friends to vote for me. Others who saw that the story had got a few votes also voted for it. I'm sure they didn't even read it.

So it does happens that once you get the votes even if they are fake . . .

But as you say, the quality of the video getting the likes matters a lot because you are hoping to:

1) Get more likes.
    2) Get more views.

But you can't can't get more views unless the video is shared by those who watch it. Should the "viewers" actually like the video then most likely they'll share it with their friend = more views.

In that case your investment a.k.a buying likes would have paid off.

9. KenBrace New Member

I never thought about paying for likes. Might be an option if you're serious about promoting your channel though. You can make a decent amount of adsense money if they get a good amount of views. I started a speed cubing channel a while back and make 6 or 7 videos each of which got several hundred views within a week or so of posting them. I stopped posting videos and the channel died but I had made $1.50 of ad revenue. So had I continued making those videos and getting more and more views I would probably have made a decent profit.

10. toradrake Member

One thing I have been hearing about is finding popular videos where the person is not putting any affiliate linking on it and asking to put one to their video. I have been wondering how that would work with a forum. A friend was telling me how a friend was telling them that when they were selling a product they would find a video that is going viral, they would contact the owner who is otherwise not getting any money out of it, and make a deal... attack my ad, they get a percentage. I don't know if they still do it, but it seemed an interesting idea rather then having to create a video myself and trying to get it out there.

Scorp likes this.
  11. KenBrace New Member

Well in most cases people are already making lots of money off viral videos. By the time you hear about it, the video is already viral and they're making tons off youtube monetization.

Figure this. I made $1.68 from a youtube channel of mine with 2,000 views. Do the math for a channel with millions of views and you might be surprised.

12. xTinx New Member

Better to follow the advice of white hat gurus than deceive people with fake likes and follows. Such a method lacks integrity. Black hat methods might fast track your site's reputation but as they say, "the faster you rise the harder you fall." White hat builds a strong and sturdy reputation, slowly. If you always have this "shortcut" mindset, then chances are you'll severely compromise quality.

KenBrace and toradrake like this.
  13. toradrake Member

I guess it all depends on what you have to offer. Not to mention, how much you are expecting to get verses what you are willing to accept. Me, any penny counts. LOL

14. May102014 New Member

Hahahaha. Well, it depends. The "Black Hat" method isn't all bad as long as it isn't used excessively on one project to the point where your account is banned. I have bought views for a YouTube video before. It wasn't the crazy 5000 - 40,000 views in 24 hours. No, no. It was more like the 1,000 views over the course of 1 - 2 weeks. The person I bought the views from slowly added more views each day to where it didn't raise an eyebrow from YouTube's compliance department. I bought views to gradually increase my ranking on YouTube for a specific keyword. I appreciate the honesty the guy provided in his video and I agree. I never pay much attention to "likes or dislike" to determine if I should watch a video all the way through.

Scorp likes this.
  15. Scorp Member

Yes. I've read about this.

One extra step to this is to try and find Newer videos that are just getting viral. I don't remember how to do that exactly, but there's a way. And then you find such videos and contact the person, and make a deal for them including your link in the description.

Of course, you want to find videos that have nothing in their description, and hopefully people that aren't monetizing at all. You know, those guys that actually upload videos for the fun of it, and get views, sometimes a lot of views, if they get lucky.

I mean, you'll make money, and the guy/girl that uploaded the video will be excited to actually make some money from his/her video.

It's a good deal.

And you can make a set monetary arrangement, like, say, $20 lifetime inclusion. Or you can even try making an affiliate type of arrangement. So if any sales are made through the video, you give the owner a percentage of the sale. So say you get a Clickbank affiliate link included in a video's desription, and your commission is $20, you offer the video owner, whatever $3 per sale. Stuff like that.

It's a method that can totally work...

16. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

I would rather have the real likes or views because then you know that you didn't have to buy the fame that I am getting. Honestly, you don't get that reward you feel when you know that you're getting real views. I know that a lot of people actually do buy likes, views, followers, ect. I think that it's a waste of money. You don't hear about those kinds of people. I don't know someone internet famous who says 'yeah, to start off I had to buy likes.' And the reason for that is because people who are famous have good marketing skills. They know how to get those views. I don't think it's that important to have many followers. You should be happy with the views, followers, ect. that you have on social media. I don't think that it makes sense because nothing comes from it.

17. Scorp Member

You're wrong about that. Not entirely, but in a big way. A LOT of famous artists buy their followers/views/likes/subscribers to start off. It's not a waste of money at all, and the reason it's not is basically human nature - monkey see monkey do, do as others do, etc.

It's simple, a person sees someone has a million followers, subscribers, likes, views, likes, they are then more likely to check that person/company/site/video out, subscribe/like/follow themselves, and get involved.

That's simply the way it is, because that's how people are...

18. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

I know, I"m starting to see this now. It seems like there are a lot of people out there who now buy the views and likes that you need. I mean yes somestime that can be good, and sometimes it can be bad. Yes, if you're just starting off then it would be a good idea. That way you will be able to attract more attention to your page and get more likes or followers. So in that way it is a good idea. Yeah, you just have to appeal to people, and this is how you are able to do so now.

19. Scorp Member

You know what, honestly, for me, in my extreme, the goal is to have Everyone everywhere follow me. So on Facebook my goals is to have, mmm, 1 Billion Likes. How many users does Facebook have?

Anyway. The point is, my ultimate goal is to have everyone everywhere follow/subscribe/like my stuff. That goes is clearly unattainable. That's insane. Okay, I'll get as close to that as I can, without making anything social media a real main priority (so automated posting, automated followers, for the most part). It still takes a lot of time to figure things out and set everything up, but for me, for my "goal," I need/want the real and fake profiles, so I'll get everything I possibly can. :)

danielle davidson likes this.
  20. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

Oh yeah, I mean who wouldn't want that? I'm sure that if people were able to do that then they would make that possible. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Facebook had close to that many. They said that there are enough profiles on there for everyone to have 2 or 3. So, in reality it might be close, but I get that it just won't happen. And not everyone uses their Facebook. Yeah I mean that way you are able to get more people when you have the fake ones. Then more people will see your page, so that is good.

Scorp likes this.